This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Low fuel light is flashing on a full tank

That the customer can't get info from the car to ID a sensor problem, sucks IMO. That the dealer can't ID the sensor through the OBD seems a bit weak on Honda’s part, to say the least. I understand that computers are integral to cars today but I don't understand why all manufactures seem to think that a check engine light or blinking fuel gage indicating a problem is excellent design. With all of the display technology built into the dash, GPS and stereo systems the car should be able to help us know what is going, verbal, visual and otherwise, and it should give us options. Sigh!! For $40 I bought a 4Gb Eye-fi memory card that can upload photos, from my camera, almost anywhere, to almost anywhere.

On a related note the repair seems to be what was needed.

Chris

Comment

I believe you will find that the reason the P/N does not come up on the warranty info is that it is part of the entire fuel tank sub-assembly. When you have to change out a tank, everything is integrated into the fuel module including the in-tank solenoid, the fuel block, sensors, etc... I have read where others have run into this issue as well. Mine is an '09 GX with some past experiences in this area. Honda Customer Service is always good to include with follow up on these types of issues.
      '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
      (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

The part replaced was the temp sensor and this seems to have things back and working. I don't have the part number at hand to post it.

Chris

Comment

Did you get this covered under the 15 year / 150K warranty? Is the below part the one they replaced? The part seems reasonable but the labor and evaluation effort was probably substantial.

37890-RNE-A01 032 001 SENSOR ASSY., TEMP FUEL (0) $20.63

An interesting aspect of when they changed my front pressure regulator for this same symptom.--- The week before they replaced the Low pressure canister that screws into the Pressure regulator. The canaster was only covered by Honda Care. The week after when they replaced the entire pressure regulator including a second new canister, the entire assembly was covered by Honda and not Honda Care.
          Last edited by malibu; 02-23-2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

I have a 2008 GX. Just experienced this issue this morning. Low fuel light flashing and the fuel gauge just went to empty.
            I unhooked the battery for a few minutes and the problem went away.
            This issue is covered by the 15 year / 150K warranty?

Comment

Sorry nexus, I can't tell you if you're covered or not, I sure hope so with the extended care. I know I stilll have bad feelings about the whole thing.. I paid for a part that wasn't the problem and the service to replace it only to have the warrantee cover the bad part and the service to replace it.. I just got tired of explaining the lack of logic in the whole thing.. I haven't been back to the dealer and wonder why we only have a single passenger car as a new CNG choice in this category..

Chris

Comment

it was on my gx
                02 GX
                01 GX
                03 Crown Vic
                06 GX
                Home Fueler

Comment

Had this happen on my 2009 today. Kinda freaked me out as I was 30 miles from the nearest station and I thought I was out of fuel. Will report back when I have it dealt with.

Comment

Just following up to the above post. Unhooked battery for a few days. Just tried hooking it back up and it works fine now.

Comment

i had this problem about a year ago and did the battery disconnect trick well about a month ago the same thing happened again .. but this time i was prepared with the facotry service manual .. i went through all the tests and found that the switch in the gas door wasnt working properly i didnt want to change the switch so i did a easy repair by putting a spacer on the gas cap door so it presses the switch a little harder and it solved the problem .. yeah i will eventually have to replace the switch but at least i found the problem and know what to replace if it happens again .. i suggest everyone buy the factory manual it is worth its weight in gold when you need it .. they are cheap on ebay

Comment

I had the same problem this morning. It was cold overnight , AND, it won't start. Low fuel is flashing. Gage level goes to actual level when I put key to on position but then starts slowly dropping to zero. The fuel nozzle door is not open. It may be a coincidence that it won't start because it has that problem occasionally. Will reset by disconnecting the battery tonight and see if it starts.

Comment

I have this happening on my 09 GX. Definitely something to do with the cold. Car runs though, just need to deal with the frequent solenoid movement at cold temperatures. The temp sensor is located in 2 positions. One next to tank and another, more accessible one in the front. Easiest is in front while the other is harder to get into the rear as you need to take out the seat. So I had my service do the front first. No DICE! Going to replace the front but the part was on backorder so 28Jan we will know more.

Resetting the car with OBD or battery only works temporarily, once the temp dips below 50, it comes back.
                          Silver 09 GX
                          Phill G:1.5

Comment

In light of my experience with my issue, I thought it would be best to share so that if you experience the same, you can then take the appropriate action if this happens to you.

Honda Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 15-021) FUEL GAUGE OUT OF ORDER; LOW FUEL INDICATOR FLASHES WHILE THE TANK HAS FUEL

This usually happened when it was cold outside, I garaged the car overnight to fuel from the Phill, so the temp is 60 degrees in the garage. When I drive in the morning the temp goes down to 30-40F and the empty fuel light comes on with a full tank but the fuel level moves to nothing in about 15 seconds. During this time after the fault which is not readable on an OBDII scanner, the ECU sends a signal to the Tank Solenoid to energize you can hear both the ECU control click and the solenoid click. This back and forth between systems is temperature dependent and the rate is faster when it is colder outside. If you drive your car in the afternoon or live in warmer areas like LA or Vegas, you'll never experience the issue because it is temperature dependent a reset would be all you would need.

Here are the Tasks you can have performed. I was comfortable with Task #1 but anything other than that, I defaulted to a honda dealership that can work on your car. Some Honda dealers do not have the capability so I'd ask first if they have the capability.

Task #1: Clear out the error code either by using an OBDII scanner or by performing the Battery Reset Procedure. You can find this online. See if error continues and then go to Task 2
                            Task #2: Replace Low pressure and High Pressure Filters, finish with Task 1. If error continues go to Task #3
                            Task #3: Replace the Thermo Valve (Honda PN 19330-RNE-A01) Approx. 70 Dollars and 1-2 hours labor, finish with Task #1. If error continues go to Task #4
                            Task #4: Replace Fuel Pressure regulator assembly (Honda PN 16740-RNE-A03) Approx . 2200 and about 6-7 hours labor. Finish with Task #1.

If performing Task #4, make sure you ask the Service Tech to save the Low pressure filter canister. May be useful in the future and save you 600 dollars!

See if error continues...
                            This is where I stopped and it would be best to do a check on the cost/benefit of a new car. Luckily It seems like my issue is resolved but I am still wary.
                            Last edited by lcovelli; 02-20-2016, 12:17 PM.
                            Silver 09 GX
                            Phill G:1.5

Comment

• gardenfairy
                              gardenfairy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Not temperature dependent always. I live in CA and it was the first day of summer today when this happened to my car.

ok !! i have a 07 and it just did it to me !! filled up the car at fast fill and did have the key in and in the run spot ( i think ? ) did it just after pulling out ! went right back thinking somehow i did not get any gas !! put $0.45 in it ? went right home and got on line !!!! and one more time you guys SAVE MY BUTT !!!!!!! took off battery cable for 5 min. and all is good !! THANK ALL OF YOU !!!! AND CNGCHAT.COM chuck

Comment

This is happening to my 2012 Civic. It happened twice so far, only when I fill it up with gas. The first time it happened I filled it up and it wouldn't start. Fuel gauge reads empty. I removed the battery and still won't start. I give up and call the toe truck and while on the line, they asked for the miles on the car. While the car was on and checking the miles, see the fuel level slowly climb back up and I was immediately able to start the car.

The second time this happened was at another fueling station. This time I spend 15 minutes waiting and turning the car on and off before fuel would go back up. Then I was able to go. Damn, going to take it in the dealer this week!!

Comment

Working...
                              X