PGE extended tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PGE extended tanks

Hi. I just bought a 2001 GX that has the PGE installed extended tank in the trunk. Does anyone know how big this tank is/how much gas it holds? Thanks

Robert

Re: PGE extended tanks

My guess is that it's probably 3gge, but could be more. Can you post a pic of it and dimensions?

Comment

Hi Curtis and thanks for the reply. The PO claims the extended tank will increase the car's range to about 350 miles. I'll post a photo and send dimensions on Monday.

Robert

Comment

I would think that 4 gge would would give you that range and fit comfortably into the remaining trunk space. So that is my guesstimate for what you have installed. I'm sure that once you have some specs posted that you'll get some more expert feedback from those in the know.

Comment

I'm just in from the garage. The PGE extended tank is about 35" long and about 9" in diameter. It's manufactured by Lincoln Composites 1-402-464-8211 who I believe manufactured the main tank, too. There's a label on the tank that faces up so I could only read some of the details. It says "CNG only, NGV2-4, model RA36A09-, and 24800KPA."

I took a few photos and can send them to anyone who wants. Just send me a PM.

A few questions. I noticed the car is missing a piece of the trunk carpet. It's on the right, is vertical, and is between the tank and the wheelwell. Anyone know where I can find this item? Since it's probably specific to the GX, does anyone have access to a car in a boneyard? Ditto the square hole cover that is on the dash next to the cigarette lighter. PGE did some creative wiring and drilled a hole thru the cover. I'd like to fine another one. Anyone know where I can find one of these?

I looked thru the threads for suggestions to improve the radio. I ended up buying an FM transmitter for $15 on ebay to play my Ipod. Anyone have experience with this?

Lastly, I took the rear seat out to look for the elusive rear speaker wires. Removing the seat was actually quite easy. A quick pull up on the front of the seat releases it from two snaps. There is a 10mm headed 6mm long bolt that is just to the driver's side of the touring tray. Remove that bolt and you've got the seat cushion out. The back cushion is held in place by two of the same size bolts, located on the sides about 6" from the ends. Remove them and then gently wiggle the seat up about 3" to clear the three hooks that hold the top of the seat in place. Alas, the wires were nowhere to be found.

Thanks

Robert

Robert

Comment

Congrats on the GX purchase.
            Lincoln's 9.2" x 35" cylinder is rated as 2.0 gasoline gallon equivalents.

Comment

The dash piece is generic Civic, LX and above. The GX had a little "NGV" sticker on it, but I bet you'll survive without it. The wiring on the newer models, if you read the stereo thread, I believe ran inside the drivers side rear side panel and ended at about the rear seat. A wiring diagram provided free at your local Honda dealers service dept would go a long ways to prevent unnecessary dismantling of parts & areas just so you can search... unless you have nothing better to do... then have a ball! They can print the diagram out from All-Data.

Comment

I found the dash piece at the dealer. They called it a "dummy plug." I wanted to pull the seat anyway. The last person who removed the back didn't get the middle hook into its slot so the seat had a bow in it. Any ideas about the carpet piece?

Adam at PGE called me today to set up a meet to get the gas card. I asked him about the extended tank and he said it has a 6GGE capacity. It's almost the same size as the other tank so maybe I measured wrong. I called the manufacturer and left a message. More later.

Robert

Comment

Turns out John was exactly right. The tank manufacturer's customer service rep confirmed 2GGE. She also said the original tank for the 2001 GX is 18" x 36" and 8.6GGE, if anyone was wondering.

Robert

Comment

Hi Robert -- I recently bought an '03 GX from PGE and my car has the same extended tank as yours. My question is: how do we know if that extended tank is active (i.e. is the valve open)? I'm getting around +/-6 GGE fills w/ fairly empty tank; shouldn't I be seeing more like 10 GGE if the extended tank is engaged? I fiddled with the valve dial (says "sherwood" on it) but I'm not sure....

Comment

Likely has 9.x gge total potential capacity (6 gge for stock tank, and 3 gge for extra tank in trunk). However, if you're only getting mediocre fast-fill of say 80% to 85% capacity (ie 3,000 to 3,100 psi), then you could be getting middle to upper 6's in gge each fill. Quick test to see if any fuel getting to extra tank in trunk is feel the tank and inlet valve BEFORE you fill it up to see what temperature of tank is . . . then fast-fill to get as much as you can. Valve and tank might be warmer to touch after filling it up fast-fill, or touching the valve on extra tank in trunk you can sense whether it's filling. Only way to know for sure what is getting in extra tank in trunk is to install a pressure dial right there by Sherwood valve on that extra tank in trunk.

ADDITION: If stock tank is indeed 8.6 gge and extra tank in trunk is either 2 or 3 gge, then you're looking at potential 10.x or 11.x gge and 80% to 85% fill should get you maybe 8 or 9 gge if you're nearly out of fuel. Try the morning after top-off method, as I've got up to 1.1 gge extra in 2001 Civic GX and made leg from Indianapolis, IN to St Louis, MO of 253 miles on stock tank WITHOUT the low fuel light coming on!!
                      Last edited by cngacrossusa; 04-23-2010, 10:17 AM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Good insight,thanks. But my GX manual says that the stock tank has 8 GGE capacity. So if that's true, and the pony tank is +/- 2 GGE, then w/ an 80% fast fill, shouldn't I still be seeing more like 8 GGE than 6 GGE? Anyway, I'll take your advice and feel the tank next time I fill up to see if it's engaged.

Here's another dumb newbie question: if the filling station indicates I have a "100%" fill and/or "3,600 psi" fill, is that not in fact true? Should I make a habit of letting the tanks cool and then topping up to get a truly complete fill?

Comment

Try filling it at night on the way home, and again in the morning on the way out to see how mych more you can add after the gas cools. Fast filling causes "heat expansion" and reduces the amount of pressure you can get in the tank. Use 36oosit for maximum capacity. If it's not convenient to wait over night, give it a few hours to sufficiently cool. You may be able to add 1-1.5 gge at that point, maybe more.

Comment

HI John. Too funny but I was going to post the exact same question. The extended tank in my car has a clear plastic cover that is cone shaped. The large end is attached to the tank with a enormous zip tie. I'm going to cut the zip tie and see if the tank is turned off. Why it would be turned off is anyone's guess. If I can't figure it out I'm going to call the guy who did the PGE training. He knew tons about the program and the cars. Perhaps he can shed some light on this mystery. If you get an answer, you can PM me. I'll do the same.

Robert

Comment

Careful, sometimes tanks are shut off for a reason!
                              The Supershuttle van fatality a few years ago happened when a damaged tank from a collision was left on the vehicle (error #1), and the driver opened up the valve (fatal error #2).

Comment

Working...
                              X