Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[merged thread] those w/ older honda civic GX's 98-01, gas tank replacement options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Mitton
    replied
    Re: [merged thread] those w/ older honda civic GX's 98-01, gas tank replacement optio

We appreciate you doing the right thing by replacing the old tank.

Recommend you call Optimum Composites to find out who installs in your area.
    http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthr...imum-type-3%29
    http://optimumct.com/

Leave a comment:

• 300mileclub
    replied
    Re: [merged thread] those w/ older honda civic GX's 98-01, gas tank replacement optio

See post #128 in same thread for vendors. You can always use SEARCH tool (upper right) to dig through anything that's been posted about someone like Daytech, as an example.

Leave a comment:

• gato gx
    replied

Hi my name is Gato Gx and I live in California I own a 1998 Honda Civic Gx,that I like very much,little by little start discovering that I am contributing to clean the air in this beautiful country ricently I encounter a problem,PGE sent me a letter that my car needs an inspection and since my gas tank expired last year I need to buy a new gas tank. The only thing I know is that is very expensive and the tank is like new,no leaks and lines and gas filter is new(changed before the letter) question is what can I do? any experts out there>

Leave a comment:

• Liza
    replied

Yes, original transmission. I alerted my mechanic (great, well regarded outfit) to the known 'judder' issue, but they didn't notice any issues during the test driving / inspection. I also haven't noticed any issues (well, it could accelerate faster on highway entry, but I think that's just part of the deal with this make/model, combined with my somewhat cautious approach to not flooring it). I'm hoping with regular maintenance and careful driving I'll dodge that bullet, at least in the next few years.

Leave a comment:

• GX-SV
    replied

Liza - Sounds like a great value for your 2001 GX. Do you know if original transmission is still in car?

Leave a comment:

• Liza
    replied

For what it's worth, I paid $2,900 for a 2001 with 150k miles (last month). I put $1,100 into it immediately (new brakes, HP filter (or LP, I can't remember, the expensive one), ignition coils + a bunch of other small stuff). It's now running like a dream, and my (fantastic) mechanic thinks I'll easily get 2 years (amount of time on tanks) / 40k miles with only routine maintenance. I have two years on the tank, so at $4k total in, I think I got a very fair deal.

It is true there's no enforcement on the tank expiration here in CA, with the exception of PGE gas card, but there are plenty of convenient alternatives to PGE for fueling. There are many cars being sold with expired tanks.

Leave a comment:

• GX-SV
    replied

It only took a couple weeks to sales, so the demand is there and supply limited.

Correction: It never sold, and as of 8/30/14, its still for sale at $5500

I see another similar one (2002) in Lodi for advertised for $5900.
    Last edited by GX-SV; 08-31-2014, 10:24 PM. Reason: Update/correction

Leave a comment:

• GX-SV
    replied

Here's a real price check as of today for a older 2nd gen GX (2002):

This 2002 Honda Civic GX has 98K miles on it and it's advertised for $5500 (and still has over 2 years before tank expires). I spotted it on Craigslist today.

I happen to be very familiar with the car, since I was the previous owner. I traded it in at a premium car dealership last month when I bought the 2010 GX (which also was a trade), they wholesaled off my 2002 almost immediately. Now I see it for sale again in Cupertino. So I know this 2002 very well, it's in good condition, 2 owners, will need timing belt, water pump and CVT tranny fluid change soon, but otherwise runs well enough.

Leave a comment:

• GX-SV
    replied

Yes and the 2002 and newer GX's still have non-expired tanks today, not that enforcement in California (when getting smog certificate and/or registering the vehicle) actually happens.

The reality is the old 1st gen GX's in California continue to be driven into the ground, owners typically don't bother replacing expired tanks. $4 or $5K is what a 1st gen GX is worth realistically.

Both the 1st gen and 2nd gen GX's tend to be the most economical, which helps range and makes them desirable to some. The reliability sounds like its well proven by now too.
    Last edited by GX-SV; 08-09-2014, 08:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 300mileclub
    replied

Some recent "resale" prices paid for GX's (posted elsewhere on cngchat for the most part):

2001 131014 $ 7K AZ
    2001 130807 $ 7K 270K CA
    2001 130000 $ 7K
    2001 140224 $ 5K 85K
    2001 140308 $ 5K 97K OR
    2000 140205 $ 4K 100K AZ
    2000 140219 $ 4K 41K NM
    1998 120504 $ 8K 103K

The 2002 and newer GX's are fetching $7K and up, so you may still have a reasonable deal here - especially with the diamond lane access in CA.

With tank replacement, car can be used another 15 years and is capable of reaching 300K miles (my two are at 180K and 320K, my Honda service advisor's is at 450K.)

Plus, I visited and talked with Daytech ten years ago and they love building race cars, roadsters, and all sorts of modifications. They've worked with CNG that long, as well. They're the closest (if you're in SF) and they're nice people.

Leave a comment:

• GX-SV
    replied

Wow, $4+ grandish, that's more than the car is worth.

Leave a comment:

• Liza
    replied

I'm a new poster, but have been researching tank replacement, as I'm thinking about getting an older Civic. I just received the following information from Daytech Auto in Vacaville (I provided him with the Optimum Composite Technologies link, I think that's the tank he's quoting here):

tank is roughly 2550.00 with shipping , 975.00 for labor , and 400.00 for the two new filters parts and labor , and one would need to add tax on the merchandise

Leave a comment:

• CNGRock
    replied

$1,988 for tank and kit.

Leave a comment:

• cowboy
    replied

sounds like a great way to keep a old honda car on the road

Leave a comment:

• ajgiorgi
    replied

Originally posted by CNGRock View Post
    My company recently purchased a 1998 Honda Civic GX to come up with a solution for changing out the expired CNG tank. It was surprisingly easy to swap the old Type 4 tank out with our new 20 year Type 3 tank, fill with natural gas, check for leaks, and get on our way. We were able to use the same brackets and only needed a few new high pressure fittings and miscellaneous parts. The new Type 3 tank gives about another 0.5 gge capacity and everything is working fantastic. If you are interested in purchasing the tank or kit, or getting support on swapping out the tank you can give Optimum Composite Technologies, LLC. a call. Contact info is available on Optimum's website: www.optimumct.com
    How much does it cost for replacement?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X