Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[merged thread] those w/ older honda civic GX's 98-01, gas tank replacement options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: those w/ older honda civic GX's 98-01, gas tank replacement options?

spoke to jared briefy about these SCI tanks. he was very helpful and resourceful.
    its a type 3 tank with identical dimensions as our type 4 so cylinder brackets "should" transfer over to this new tank but accordingly to him they havent actually done the retro on a earlier civic understandably since 98s would be due for replacement in 2013.
    these weigh slightly more (about 20lbs) vs the type 4.
    cost is around 1800-1900 for the cylinder and may require some fittings that most shops should be able to source in the install.
    typical labor on a tank swap is 4-6hrs.
    i guess my next step would be to visit or call our 2 sources in the bay area(fairfield and traps in san bruno) to discuss options/cost on installing one of these bad boys in an early model civic.
    with costs being near 2800-3200 total(parts, labor) ill need to weigh out the cost and benefit of doing this retro vs just getting a later model GX. i guess the closer u get to the expiration date of these tanks the less value these early model GXs will have in the used car market.
    98 civic gx - the hov lane runner
    97 supercharged mustang - 440rwhp gas hog
    02 pathfinder

Comment

Just my 2 cents, but I can hardly believe that this can't be done for less than $2,500 . . . it's just a tank !! If the price is whopping $3,000 or more, I'll guarantee they'll be entrepreneur types crop up and beat that price . . . . even if car had to transport out-of-state.

I'd recommend calling around to various conversion shops that already are installing tanks. A type 4 tank from Lincoln Composites in Nebraska likely could be had for that price.

Comment

Hey any Civic GX drivers of older say late 1990's that are nearing "15 year tank life" . . . I ran across 2005 Civic GX tank in Dallas, TX on CL for only $450 (listed as 2 posts where $400 is tank and $50 for brackets) - - - see at:
        http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/1901101725.html
        Last edited by cngacrossusa; 08-19-2010, 07:23 AM.

Comment

want to bump this thread to see if there has been any updates on a cheaper alternative for replacement tanks for older GX's. i have roughly 1.5 years lets before mine expires and am considering just replacing my tanks given how the GX prices for later models have skyrocketed due to the HOV demand. im sure this will be useful for many owners w/ older civics.
          02 pathfinder

Comment

I will visually inspect my tank, and test all connectors for leaks when it expires. Its like the gallon of milk that says an expiration date, but its still good.

Comment

Originally posted by onefasteg View Post
              I will visually inspect my tank, and test all connectors for leaks when it expires. Its like the gallon of milk that says an expiration date, but its still good.
              LOL j/k, anyone see these, or would they not work:

http://cngunited.com/documents/NewTankIntro.pdf
              Last edited by onefasteg; 06-23-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Look at he label on one of the tanks: does it that it meet United States standards?

Larrycng

Comment

Here is a price list for Type I tanks (all steel, heavy but cheap). It looks as if The tank for a GX would cost $860, hold 7.7 gge and weigh 243 lbs (roughly about the weight of the Honda's OEM Type 3 plus a passenger). But then you are interested in keeping the old GX as a HOV lane entry so the additional weight is not a serious problem.

As to tank inspections you must remember that they are visual inspections and can only detect damage that manifests itself in the external appearance of the tank and is caused by external factors (damage from foreign objects, chemicals, environment etc).

You are NOT to remove the tank from its mount so you usually can't examine the whole tank. You can remove the shields around the tank. The shields can be a proxy for tank condition (undamaged shields = undamaged tanks). I personally have used a fiber optic tool (Rapid See Snake) but many tank inspectors don't.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jenki_putnik View Post
                    Here is a price list for Type I tanks (all steel, heavy but cheap). It looks as if The tank for a GX would cost $860, hold 7.7 gge and weigh 243 lbs (roughly about the weight of the Honda's OEM Type 3 plus a passenger). But then you are interested in keeping the old GX as a HOV lane entry so the additional weight is not a serious problem.

As to tank inspections you must remember that they are visual inspections and can only detect damage that manifests itself in the external appearance of the tank and is caused by external factors (damage from foreign objects, chemicals, environment etc).

You are NOT to remove the tank from its mount so you usually can't examine the whole tank. You can remove the shields around the tank. The shields can be a proxy for tank condition (undamaged shields = undamaged tanks). I personally have used a fiber optic tool (Rapid See Snake) but many tank inspectors don't.

thanks, lets say i need a new cng tank for the civic....so where do we buy and do the service in southern california?
                    thanks

Comment

for us 1998 civic folks the 2013 expiration date is less than 2 years away and given how the prices have skyrocketed on GX's lately it makes more sense to replace our tanks. has anyone successfuly sourced and/or replaced a type 4 tank for our cars? im wondering what the price range will be to do a new tank assembly in our cars. with the old gx's running at 7k and up on the used car market, a 3k tank replacement is very attractive. wondering if that is really the price? anyone in califonria know of a repair shop that can do the swap? i know of 2 in sf bay area(fairfield and trap's i san bruno) buti havent gone as far as getting a quote.
                      02 pathfinder

Comment

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a 2001 GX with just under 60k miles for about $6k. The issue is the tank expires in 2014. What about scoring a used tank from a wrecking yard off a newer GX? 2006 or newer would expire in 2019 or later.

Will tanks from newer GX's fit?

Do more recent tanks have longer service lives? If so how much newer does it need to be to get a tank with a longer service life, what's the life and will they fit in 2001 GX's?

Comment

Hi,

The seller said the following:
                          By law you must change the tank in 2014 or you won't be able to register/operate in Calif.

Comment

That seems like a really good deal for the car. If you don't want it please let me know
                            Originally posted by MitchJi View Post
                            Hi,

I'm interested in buying a 2001 GX with just under 60k miles for about $6k. The issue is the tank expires in 2014. What about scoring a used tank from a wrecking yard off a newer GX? 2006 or newer would expire in 2019 or later.

Will tanks from newer GX's fit?

Do more recent tanks have longer service lives? If so how much newer does it need to be to get a tank with a longer service life, what's the life and will they fit in 2001 GX's?
                            2013 Chevy volt 2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Comment

Where is this law written? Thanks.
                              Originally posted by MitchJi View Post
                              Hi,

The seller said the following:
                              2013 Chevy volt 2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Comment

No such Law in CA that I am aware of, however it is a violation of federal law to operate in violation of fed. dot regs. prohibiting filling and operating on a public highway with expired cylinders. I do not reccomend doing so.

No California or Federal" Tank police " to hunt you down, however ,2 sure fire ways to get caught :1, after a major accident or in a fire or tank failure. 2. on a medium or heavy duty cng truck going thru a state weight/truck inspection station. Not many older big cng trucks , but some owner/operators may be looking for cheap ,expired extra tanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X