Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[merged thread] those w/ older honda civic GX's 98-01, gas tank replacement options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: those w/ older honda civic GX's 98-01, gas tank replacement options?

Originally posted by Dinubadave View Post
    I have a 98 with only 53k miles, I'm not sure how many miles I'll have in 2013 but I doubt if I'll have over 100k. I'm new to the CNG world and I understand these tanks are 'rated' for 15 years but if your tank is passing inspections, why would you have to replace it. Who will be enforcing this?
    Specifically any law enforcement officer who knows alternate fuel and the vehicle code (and there are a few in the central valley. Check the local library, CAC (Calif Administrative Code) title 13 section 934.1. In that section you will see references to NFPA 52. which by its inclusion in 934.1 gives it the force of law.

Larrycng

Comment

What about re-certification? Apparently, tanks that are certified for an x number of years, from home propane tanks to nuclear containers can be re-certified. For example, a tank that is certified for 12 years, undergoes a test and recertified for additional 5 year periods. Please note the following:

"Since NGV fuel cylinders are relatively inexpensive in contrast, for example, with nuclear pressure vessels -- the NDE technique used to recertify cylinders needs to be quick and inexpensive. For this reason, the acoustic emission (AE) technique is the method of choice as, unlike ultrasonic inspection, it does not require the entire surface of the cylinder to be scanned with transducers. Instead AE transducers are attached to the cylinders in a few selected locations and passively listen for the sounds of damage as the cylinders are pressurized."

The above statement was written in 1991, does anyone here know if the re-certification of CNG vehicle tanks has progressed any?

I know I'm probably asking questions that have been answered before, please excuse me if so. I'm also taking the stance that just because a tank has a 15 year date on it, it doesn't necessarilly mean it's no good. On one test I read about, filling a tank with no cracks with 3000 psi three times a week; said tank would be expected to last 95 years and another test showing a small crack in a tested tank, was only expected to last 5 years.
      Last edited by Dinubadave; 05-06-2010, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I've been reading more about recertification, one site clearly stated that there is currently no recertification for a cng vehicle tank pass it's exp date! That statement was from a certified cng tank inspector.

Comment

Have you looked at ANG as an alternative for your honda? ANG pressures are in the 500psi range and can be purchased in many different sizes

Comment

Originally posted by Dinubadave View Post
            I've been reading more about recertification, one site clearly stated that there is currently no recertification for a cng vehicle tank pass it's exp date! That statement was from a certified cng tank inspector.
            You can ask the cylinder manufacturers and they will say the same thing.

I agree that with way cylinders are constructed that some types could be in service many more years than they are presently allowed. The types of testing you mentioned earlier are valid tests of a pressure vessal's integrity. I think the question is why don't start a testing program to determine just how long the cylinder will last using a combination of visual and non destrictive methods?

But for now, we have to go with current program. The people in Utah have a good start on conversion procedures, maybe a group could (cautiously and thoughtfully) start a similar movement for cylinders.

Just a few thoughts

Larrycng

Comment

OK gang, the 18" x 34" tank we are installing into our Impala retrofits will likely fit just fine into the older Honda trunk cavity. We would want to include the brackets which have been approved for this tank as opposed to re-using the Lincoln-approved OEM bracket. Full set should come in under $2,500 for tank, solenoid valve, PRD, brackets. We would need to check out an old Honda with our equipment prior to offering this to authorized installation facilities. If anyone in AZ or UT would like to offer their vehicle as a test bed we will take a closer look.

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
                OK gang, the 18" x 34" tank we are installing into our Impala retrofits will likely fit just fine into the older Honda trunk cavity. We would want to include the brackets which have been approved for this tank as opposed to re-using the Lincoln-approved OEM bracket. Full set should come in under $2,500 for tank, solenoid valve, PRD, brackets. We would need to check out an old Honda with our equipment prior to offering this to authorized installation facilities. If anyone in AZ or UT would like to offer their vehicle as a test bed we will take a closer look.
                I wish I was out there. I would take you up on that offer, John.

Comment

I am game. I live in Pleasant Grove. I PMed you a while back on this John. Let me know! PM me and I will get you my phone number.

Comment

You can "borrow" my 1998 gx for as long as you need it if I can get a free tank out of it?
                    1998 Honda GX
                    ebike

Comment

john, were u able to test a hold of a honda civic to check fitment?
                      98 civic gx - the hov lane runner
                      97 supercharged mustang - 440rwhp gas hog
                      02 pathfinder

Comment

want to bump this up if anyone has found any new sources for a replacement tank. never heard back from john mitton on those impala tank retrofits.
                        98 civic gx - the hov lane runner
                        97 supercharged mustang - 440rwhp gas hog
                        02 pathfinder

Comment

Hey guys, sorry for the delay.
                          Lancer has installed one of these into an older GX and it works fine. Call Scott at 801-268-8863. He has a dozen or so tanks arriving any day to his SLC shop.

Comment

Hello Everyone-

I'm new to the board, having just purchased an old '99 Civic GX with 75K miles. I look forward to using this board to research the car and talk to other CNGchat members. I'm particularly interested in threads like this, as the replacement costs on some of these parts are truly shocking! I understand the High Pressure Regulator can cost over $2K to replace. Ouch. Well, I'm hoping my GX (which I bought sight unseen) is in decent, well-maintained condition. I will know in a couple weeks!

Thanks- Phil

Comment

Hey guys, sorry for the delay.
                              Lancer has installed one of these into an older GX and it works fine. Call Scott at 801-268-8863. He has a dozen or so tanks arriving any day to his SLC shop.
                              John,
                              Was this tank any bigger? Or is it the same size as the stock one?
                              Thanks

Comment

The tanks are the same size, but it is easy to install an auxiliary tank adding another 3GGE, these SCI tanks are great and come with a 20 year life. If you have any questions on the replacement tanks just give Jared or Todd a call here at the Lance Automotive Group
                                Lancer Automotive Group
                                3687 South 300 West
                                Salt Lake City UT 84115

801-268-8863

http://lancerautogroup.com

Visit our Facebook pages
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lance...68469439838785

https://www.facebook.com/alternativefuelcenter?ref=hl

Comment

Working...
                                X