Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far can you drive with fuel light on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far can you drive with fuel light on?

I just purchased a new 2009 GX and I'm wondering how far you can drive once the fuel light comes on? It appears as though there are 2 "dots" left once it comes on...

Also, does CNG work the same as gasoline in the sense that the easier you are on the peddle the better mileage you are going to get?

Re: How far can you drive with fuel light on?

Usually as far as it takes to the nearest CNG station My light comes on at about two to three dots. It is not always consistent. There is a thread that discusses this in some detail, so you'll need to search a bit to find everyone's experiences. As I remember, about 30 miles is the most you can expect, but I try not to temp fate. I once had to go to three stations to find one that worked, it is not a pleasant experience to do when the light is on.

High mileage techniques are the same for CNG as they are for petrol.

Good luck with your new car . . . and don't tempt fate.

Comment

In the GX Supplement you received with your new car there is a section that covers this point. It says you can reasonably expect approximately 20 mi city/30 mi hwy.

This is fairly consistent with what others have reported, however it can be effected by driving habits, as with any vehicle.

CNGLO has a point that you will soon learn to appreciate. You'll find those who flirt with the low fuel light, in some cases to the extreme, however refueling while you're still in your comfort zone (in my case 1/4-1/8 tank) saves on the stress levels if your primary fueling location is down for maintenance.

I arrived at my comfort zone by deciding that I would be comfy having enough fuel to get to the three nearest stations, should 2 of them be down at the same time, without running out of fuel. Anything less is flirting with using AAA to get you to a gas pump.

Then there are those who will run out of gas intentionally just so hey can answer questions like this. I'm sure at least one of them will chime in on this one.

Comment

30 miles is pretty safe after the light goes on. This seems to be the same from car to car, so I'm guessing it's an 'auto design' standard.
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

Cold temps seem to have some effect....the bingo light on my 09 will come on with five bars left below 30 F...have gone as far as 45 miles with the light on and still had 400 psi in the tank.

Comment

I've driven as far as 18.5 miles with the light on. It comes on with two bars showing. I'll see if I can go a little farther tonight. I've driven 10 miles with the light on and the nearest pump is 12.5 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
              Then there are those who will run out of gas intentionally just so hey can answer questions like this. I'm sure at least one of them will chime in on this one.
              That would be me. I've run out of fuel about three times. Each time it was 50 to 55 (mostly freeway) miles after the light came on. I've gone PLENTY of times to 45 miles and have never conked out at that point. But given that CNG stations aren't the most reliable fuel supplies out there, I try to fuel at about 30 miles after the light turns on. That will give me enough fuel to get to the next station if my target station is down.

Comment

I made it to the PG&E station last night. 23 miles from the time the low-fuel light came on. The car is a 2009 GX.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info.

Comment

If you dont have the AAA+ , extended towing option Auto club membership , think about getting signed-up. it's a little more costly than regular membership, but give one long range tow free. The regular membership is 7 miles free and $9 per mile thereafter

Comment

I go 20 miles every time the light comes on (2008 GX) with no problems.
                      I've gone 29.5 miles twice, sweating it, and haven't had a problem either.

For me, it's 30 miles or less... as another poster stated, I don't want to tempt fate!

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
                        If you dont have the AAA+ , extended towing option Auto club membership , think about getting signed-up.
                        I second that.

When you drive a CNG vehicle, this membership more than pays for itself (because of the fueling infrastructure, of course, not the car). You'll use it at least once.

Comment

I have driven 45 miles (with nerves) It was on the freeway with the AC off.

Comment

Do most people wait to fill up until the fuel light comes on? I'm nervous to even let it get that low.

Comment

I have a 99 and have regularly driven 40-45 miles with the light on. Now with that being said, I do remember talking to someone at American Honda shortly after getting the car and was told that the early cars (my 99 being in that classification) were rated at 50 mile range after fuel light but that changed to 30 miles at some point. I think they were getting the feeling that people thought the range was more limited than it was if the light would come on as early as 100 miles after fillup.

Cannot remember what year I was told that change was made though....

Comment

Working...
                              X