Cylinder misfires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder misfires?

Recently my dad began having an issue with his 2001 gx that he refers to as "a shimmy". More specifically randomly their is a shutter and loss of power that happens at all speeds but is most noticeable in the cold and when accelerating. This problem sounds a lot like the trans issues that have been discussed but when I hooked the car to a scanner their were five stored codes which showed miss fires in each of the four cylinders plus a random misfire code. My question is where to begin trouble shooting. Could this be a clogged fuel filter? I have no service records so for all I know the fuel filters have never been replaced, but could something that simple cause that kind of problem?

Re: Cylinder misfires?

Most likely the coils have small cracks. (Each spark plug has one over the plug instead of plug wires.) Moisture gets in when the engine cools down and arc's until engine is warm). Take one out and look for hairline cracks on the shaft , and discoloration . About $78 each at the dealer, About $40 each at some of the internet honda dealers.

Same coil as the gasoline engine.
    Very easy to inspect and change, a 5 minute job. If so, buy one at the dealer, and swap with each cylinder , before the first cold start of the day.If that does it, get the others mail order and save $$$

You might check the plugs. If someone has put in non stock plugs they might be worn. The OEM plugs are $$ ($14 each) but last!

At 109k, I still have the original spark plugs on my 01 GX , but have had all of the coils go bad, starting at about 75,000.

Could be a tight valve, but not likely. I do NOT think it is fuel filter related. I do NOT think it is the transmission.
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 01-13-2008, 07:05 AM.

Comment

I had the same problem. I changed the spark plugs and put in the NGK plugs that the manufacturer recommends. The previous owner had put in standard plugs which stretched out the rubber gasket on the coils so I bought new coils. The next step would be running some injector cleaner on a gasoline engine. I still have the problem so I think it might be the fuel filter .

Shay

Comment

I'm dealing with a cylinder 1 misfire right now on my 99. So far I have changed the spark plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap, and the ignition coil. The check engine light was off and then it came back on, so I took it to the dealer. They cleared the code and are keeping it overnight to run it in the morning. I'm also getting my recall done at the same time. I just hope it works. I'm not using the stock plugs, but they are NGK plugs which I checked out at NGK.com and it was the plug that was recommended about 2 bucks a piece. I'll let u know what happens with the dealer. (Crossing my fingers that it was the code, but it was still running rough.)

Later,
        Anthony

Comment

When you have an clyinder misfire being detected on one specific cylinder, the problem is usually with that one cylinder PO301 misfire cyl 1 PO302 misfire cyl 2 etc. One thing that I have noticed from you post is all of the ignition parts that have been replaced, but the problem is still there. Your next step should be to look at the compression of that cylinder and then to look at fuel. It is very common that fuel injectors in older vehicles can fail due to oils etc.. It will be easier to check compression first, to rule it out. I think the problem would be in the fuel injector or the control of that cylinder.

Comment

The dealer called me and told me that the injectors had to be replaced. They wanted 500 each! So, I told them that I would get the parts myself. I'm thinking it should be the one cylinder since only one was mis firing, but the mechanic told me otherwise. So, I'm going to send them out to get rebuilt.

Comment

Try hondapartscheap.com the internet parts of south bay honda in gilroy. About $350 each. Internet price only. At the walk in counter they will be $509. p.s. ngk has incorrect , info on the website . the plugs are NOT the same as the gasoline civic. PFR7N-D . Different heat range. well over $12 , even by mailorder.
              Last edited by Lakewood90712; 01-31-2008, 08:04 PM.

Comment

All 4 fuel injectors on my 2000 GX were replaced before 100k miles. Last year I had Check Engine light on because of cylinder misfires. The mechanic found 1 fuel injector was bad and the other turning bad. It was out of warranty. I called Honda customer care and they agreed to help 50% of my total cost. It still cost me more than $650 total to replace both.

I replaced the high pressure filter before but it didn't prevent the fuel injectors turning bad. This first generation (98-00) GX only has 1 filter and apparently it is not enough to stop contaminants. Hope more people with the first generation (98-00) GX will complain to Honda so hopefully they will issue a recall or retrofit an extra filter to protect fuel injectors. Fuel injectors are expensive !!!

Honda customer relations number is 800-999-1009.

Comment

The guys from Questar said they added low pressure coalesers to all there Fords and that they are much more efficient than the high presser ones.

Comment

Originally posted by gxuser View Post
                    All 4 fuel injectors on my 2000 GX were replaced before 100k miles. Last year I had Check Engine light on because of cylinder misfires. The mechanic found 1 fuel injector was bad and the other turning bad. It was out of warranty. I called Honda customer care and they agreed to help 50% of my total cost. It still cost me more than $650 total to replace both.

I replaced the high pressure filter before but it didn't prevent the fuel injectors turning bad. This first generation (98-00) GX only has 1 filter and apparently it is not enough to stop contaminants. Hope more people with the first generation (98-00) GX will complain to Honda so hopefully they will issue a recall or retrofit an extra filter to protect fuel injectors. Fuel injectors are expensive !!!

Honda customer relations number is 800-999-1009.
                    My car has 65k on it, I did replace the high pressure filter at 60k. I didn't know the service before that though, bc I bought it used. I read somewhere there is a 10 year emissions warranty on the GX's. Would fuel injectors be considered under "emissions"? I will probably call Honda and complain and see what happens. Nothing to lose, right? 65k is really low for this kind of problem, don't you think?
                    Thanks for the info,
                    Anthony

Comment

California gx vehicles rated SULEV by the carb have a 15yr/150,000 emissions performance warranty. I am not sure if the 00 had it , but 01 and later gx does. Honda had special injectors developed for the gx for cng, suposedly not requiring lubricants and detergents usually found in gasoline,and made a big deal about it as a new technology. Ford has had a lot of cng injector problems , but the ford injector can easily be cleaned. Sometimes new technology has first generation problems. The 06 and later gx injectors only cost about $150. Call Honda customer service , as others have advised.

Comment

My brother in law had a similar problem (misfires only on two cylindars, till we messed up the other two http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752 ) He took it to SNO-MOTION in Salt Lake City and they were able to replace all 4 injectors for under $300 each. They also said that his CNG pressure at the injectors was too low, so they adjusted that.

Comment

Fuel injectors are covered under emission warranty. For 00 GX, emission warranty is only up to 80k miles.

Comment

I had this happen twice with two different causes on a 99 GX.
                            First time, an injector went totally bad. You need a code reader to see which is misfiring. Unfortunately, mine showed multiple cylinders misfiring. I troubleshot by disconnecting electrical on the injectors one at a time. I found the car did not run worse when the #3 injector was disconnected. I then swapped it to another position and repeated tests to verify. I bought an injector over the counter for almost $700. It solved the problem.

Second time, it suddenly started running very rough and quit. I had a poor connections in the electrical system. The distributor cap was replaced. It ran 50% better. It was running rough with no check engine light. I replaced the plug wires. It ran better still. It still has a very slight miss and no check engine. Next will be new plugs. I'm still not getting the fuel efficiency that I once had, so there is still a problem somewhere but I have not had the time to work it.

Comment

The mechanics at the dealer diagnoses by listening to the sound of the injectors. Bad one sounds different. You can go to auto parts store to buy a stethoscope to listen to the sound of the injectors. You probe the injector one by one when they are in operation. My stethoscope costs around $10.

Comment

Working...
                              X