04 gx With Stumble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 gx With Stumble

My 04 GX has had a "Stumble" problem primarily at light load throttle - which generally goes away after warm up - or at rpm > 2500. My dealer has been using the data logger and working with Honda tech. Noticed it originally at say 40-50 k on it (bot it with 30k) - and now at about 97 k it seems to be getting worse. For a long time I thouht it was a tranmission slip - felt like a sprocket slip) - but now it clearly is an engine miss - which increases in severity at high altitude - over 6000 ft (Lake Tahoe, Sonora pass, Tioga Pass, Glacier point). Cylinder head replaced due to cylinder leakage out of spec, plus I think they have replaced injectors, pressure regulator - tried swapping ECM with known good one. Seems like some type of vacuum issue or some possibly a sensor - still a work in progress .... found interesting info on the honda cng control system in http://www.socalgas.com/documents/bu...on%20Study.pdf at pages 11-12.

Re: 04 gx With Stumble

(rabwc , I started a new thread for your post )

Pull out the coils and look for hairline cracks. Stumble when cold at part throttle is a typical symptom of bad coil packs. They usually don't last over 50k miles. The spark plugs last longer than the coils !

Comment

The only way to really find a bad coil causing this problem is to replace it. One at a time is easy with coils. As for longevity, I think one of my GXs with 130k still has the original coil packs. It's a crapshoot how long they last.
      02 GX
      01 GX
      03 Crown Vic
      06 GX
      Home Fueler

Comment

I've had the same symptoms/symptoms on my '04, swearing it was he trans slipping, worse when it was cold and at low rpm. I had my shop ready to order a trans and my top tech, Jesse, said it was coils. I was at 95k mi at the time. He replaced all 4 and it ran perfectly afterwards. It's the only problems I've ever had with it. The good news is that if you're in Ca., it's covered under warranty to 150k.

Comment

So how much are the coils if they are not under warranty?

My '04 Civic with 49k miles seems to have this same problem, though I think the tranny might be bad too ... when cold the transmission will stay in neutral (even though the shifter is in drive) until given a fair amount of gas, at which point it lurches forward. Similar problem when stopping; the transmission will go in and out of gear, making stops anything but smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by indy14 View Post
            So how much are the coils if they are not under warranty?
            http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0 About this much. Some Honda dealers charge over $70 to retail customers at the parts dept.

Comment

Why do they list 2 part numbers for this? Are they the same thing?

Comment

Might be an alternate oem supplier. If you are buying on-line, call Bernardi Honda. The internet guy iat bernardi is very good at figuring out conflicting part #. Autozone has aftermarket coils, but they aren't any cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                X