Replacement tires for '06 GX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement tires for '06 GX?

One of my front rims is bent and may need to be replaced. I'm planning on going to my local Just Tires to get it fixed, and to see if the tire itself also needs to be replaced. The tread is in good shape, so no need to replace all four tires. All four tires are original, mileage is somewhere in the low 40k range.

What's the recommended replacement tire? I've seen recommendations pro and con here for low rolling resistance tires, not sure that replacing just one tire with an LRR is going to be worth the additional cost. Or, do I need to go through the dealer to get this done right?

Thanks for any pointers.

Re: Replacement tires for '06 GX?

Original tires are 60,000 mi ratings. You should have a tire warranty sheet in with your owners manuals, or in the glove box. This isn't a warranty issue (obviously) but the papers tell you about the tires to some degree.

A good used tire and replacement rim would hold you until the complete set needed to be replaced. You can do your own research on LRR tires by entering the term into Google and read the reviews. Obviously the more you drive, the more advantage you'd gain from such an upgrade.

You'll have to do the math to see if it makes sense. If, and when, you decide to go that route, let us know how it pans out.

Comment

Most of the owner reports on L.R.R. tires are not good. If I have my fact's correct , they are original equipment on the Civic Hybrid and the Prius. Most owners replace them with conventional radial tires when they wear-out , and not just due to high tire cost. (Poor traction are the usual complaint's I hear)

This is just my observation: In theory , the greatest benefit would be on gas guzzeling V-8 SUV's , and the car makers are under great pressure to improve mileage on those vehicles. None are equiped with them .

P.S. At 1100 miles , I got a 4" spike in a Dunlop sp5000 on my 08' , The replacement was about $90, however , you can find them for less today. The rim is hard to find used, so it's dealer time. At 33K miles, tires are now about 50 % worn.

Maybe someone on the forum is upgrading to custom rims and has some available. Try posting a wanted ad in "Marketplace"
      Last edited by Lakewood90712; 11-08-2009, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I have a 08 Civic GX rim and wheel cover if you are interested in a used one. It's off my '08 GX; I bought bigger rims and tires at less than 1,000 miles after buying the car. I sent you a PM with my phone number.
        Adrian

Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
        Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
        Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

Comment

I have an 01 Civic and put Hankook tires on it. It seems to run much better than the BigO tires it had before. I did buy both sets new.

Comment

I am going to question the 60k rating on the stock tires. My 09 gx has 24k miles and all 4 tires have seriously worn already (too the point where I will probably get new on next service). They have been rotated with every A1 service.

Comment

Replaced the original tires at 37k miles and the second set of dunlop tires are done at 60k miles. I have had my car aligned twice and will be buy new tires tomorrow.

Comment

I just replaced the original tires on my 2011 GX with Yokohama YK580 (http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/yk580). Great rolling resistance, dry and wet traction Not so good on ice, but that isn't much problem in SF Bay area), quiet, and still 60k mile warranty. I haven't driven long enough to verify improved mileage yet, but am appreciating the lower noise.

Comment

Those are the same tires I bought today. I only purchased two this time around and will replace the others in a few months.

Comment

i recommend hankooks. good price, good warranty.
                    there's currently a mail in rebate if you buy 4.

Comment

Working...
                    X