miss at idle and when accelerating..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miss at idle and when accelerating..

alright my father has a 02 civic gx. 195k. He bought it used from a guy that was really picky about maintence so this car has always been kept up, had the fuel pressure reg changed in dec 08. It has a really interesting problem. I have not really dug into this car at all to try to figure it out but i had to borrow it for alittle so now im trying to solve it.

Before someone says i should just take it into the shop my father already did take it to honda and all they did was want to recomend tons of stuff they had no clue if it really needed or not and basically throw parts at it instead of propperly diagnosing the problem in the first place..

At idle mostly just in drive at idle the car feels like it has a miss to it. If the a/c is on its alot worse and has even stalled quite a few times on me. When you take off from a dead stop it had a real nasty hesitation from about 5mph to about 30. It just feels like it has a nasty miss until 30 or more and then it clears up.. I know there is a tsb about a judder in the trans but im not sure if this is really comming from the trans to me it seems like its from the motor. I am also surprised this thing does not throw any codes as much as it does this problem. It did however throw a p0300 ( multiple cyl misfire) code once. Ok so times are rough and i need a good starting point here instead of just throwing parts at it. My plan is to adjust the valves this week, and check up for oil in the high pressure filter drain. I have already swapped coils out on it just because i had a set lying around so i know that is not it. Plugs are good too. Anyone have a starting point??

Thanks..

Re: miss at idle and when accelerating..

195 k is prob. the highest posted on this board for a gx. Valves too tight can cause misfire, and cng vehicles do wear valve seats more than gasoline vehicles.The high pressure filter is not likely to cause this.

?the fuel pressure regulator was changed, ? the low pressure regulator , or the high pressure regulator ?.

Comment

It kind of sounds like an injector. I've driven several Civics that hesitated at low speeds and stalled out and threw a multiple misfire code, and it was usually an injector.

The injectors from Honda are about $400 each. Autozone has them for about $150. (They can look it up in the computer.) There are also places that can rebuild injectors for $40 or less. Most of them will only charge you if they successfully rebuild it.

Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.

-Derek
      www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

Or it could be a coil. No way to test them and they don't throw codes. Buy a new one and put it on each plug in turn.
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

I vote for coils.

My 2002 with about 100k was having a similar problem - with no code. Maybe not as severe though. The dealer tried injectors, crankshaft sensor, coil from another civic. Said the coils tested fine.

Finally gave up and replaced the coils - no more problem. Yours may not be the same. But, I think of the options the coils are the cheapest and easiest to change.

Comment

awesome! Thanks for the info guys! Since work was so slow today i was able to actually work on it during work. I checked the high pressure fuel filter first to see if any oil was in the reservoir and it was dry so thats good. Then i went on with adjusting all the valves. They were alittle tighter then specs but not much. And then we had a 04 civic lx sitting outside for like the past year so i jacked the coils off it so this is the 3rd set i have tried for coils and magically the car seems to run great! I drove it home about 12 miles and didnt feel it hesitate or miss at all! It hasent ran this good since my father bought it about a year ago lol!! Im gonna drive it somemore tommrow and make sure this completly fixed it before i give it back to my dad.

I am really mad now knowing when he took it to the dealership out of all the junk they recomended on it, it did not include coils. Just stuff that now i know would not of fixed it but they sure would of made money off him..

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
              195 k is prob. the highest posted on this board for a gx. Valves too tight can cause misfire, and cng vehicles do wear valve seats more than gasoline vehicles.The high pressure filter is not likely to cause this.

?the fuel pressure regulator was changed, ? the low pressure regulator , or the high pressure regulator ?.

lol.. [email protected] that isnt nothing for a honda man! Its life has just started!! Anyways im not entirely sure. Its the more expensive one im guessing the high pressure. The guy that had it before us is the one that had it changed for like 2500$ or something..

Comment

Working...
              X