Moaning and Groaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moaning and Groaning

I have a 2007 Honda Civic GX with about 23k on it. Sometimes after filling up the vehicle, I hear a moaning from the trunk area and can slightly feel it in the floor. Kinda like I have a whale in the trunk. I never can get it to dupplicate near the dealership. Anyone else have this experience?

Re: Moaning and Groaning

Tie the gag tighter, or perhaps knock the victim out harder?

other than that, I'm at a loss...
    1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
    2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

The noises are normal after a fill-up, especially when going from nearly empty to full. The rush of gas to the high pressure regulator after the tank soloniod opens causes some vibrations in the gas lines.

Nothing to worry about, except Crazy-Fuzzy .

Comment

I'm not quite convinced that it is normal. I have driven/fueled a number of GXs in this body style and never heard it in another one. Sometimes it will continue to moan especially when there is more load on the engine. Does this happen to anyone else?

Comment

I'm not sure of the year change from Lincoln to SCI cylinders (someone please fill in the blank).

If you have a Lincoln tank, they will make noise some times (no big deal), but, have it inspected just for peace of mind. If it is the SCI type 3 cylinder have it inspected, type 3's generally don't make noise.

In either case have it inspected when it is full and look very carefully for bulges or splits in the overwarp,especially on the Lincoln type 4. Also check the brackets and rubbers very closely for sign of chaffing.

I generally consider the noise normal (not having heard it). As a side note you may hear more noise from the Lincoln as the weather gets colder. As the overnight temperature gets lower, the cylinder will contract a little more and may expand with heat of compression during the fill (we're talking thousands of an inch 0.000),

There was a Comdyne in the of a Chevy that grew 0.006" in diameter when fueled starting at 800 psi and filled to 3,000 psi.

Hope this helps

Larrycng

Comment

Originally posted by mharmon View Post
            I'm not quite convinced that it is normal. I have driven/fueled a number of GXs in this body style and never heard it in another one. Sometimes it will continue to moan especially when there is more load on the engine. Does this happen to anyone else?
            I have a 2008 GX with an SCI tank. Just had it inspected yesterday.I get pings, popping and hissing sounds occasionally after a fill up. I mostly notice it in the mornings when it is cold. Inspector said everything looked good. Said the hissing might be a bad stem valve but they could not change it without actually hearing the hissing sound. No moaning though.

Comment

I've noticed it in my 2008 GX. I've only had the car a month so still geting used to it. I noticed the noise also when its colder. Thought maybe a alternator belt or something else was the source.

Comment

...just came across this older thread. I posted the following a couple weeks ago...I'm goin to have the FR changed out soon, and will advise:

...picked up a low-mileage (4,500) '08 Civic GX recently, and noticed a wierd rubbing/whining (almost like a alto saxaphone) noise at idle, 1500 & 2200 RPMs, which seems to correlate with the fuel tank being on the fuller side vs closer to empty. I had a Honda tech look at it, said it may be the Fuel Regulator (which he says sounded familiar with a cng instance a tech had at another facility). I'm monitoring over the next few weeks, if persists, will take back for FR replacement under warranty.

Has anyone else experienced this w/ their GX?

Curtis, is there any known instances of this from your location?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Comment

I don't know for sure but my 2006 has this noise. Again coming from the rear of the car. At least in the case of my car, the noise is coming from the exhaust system---just off idle or transitioning from cruising to accelerating. If you put someone in the car to work the accelerator pedal, you can hear the noise resonating from the muffler and exhaust pipe.

Comment

siai47, not sure if it's the same issue, as yours eminates from the exhaust, and I assume you're not getting vibration on the gas pedal? but for your '06, have you checked into the Honda Service Bulletion 06-059, which calls for a new serpentine belt reroute that has resolved much of this noise issue? just google "honda sb 06-059"

Comment

Update...had the fuel regulator changed, and noise is gone. Again, the tech advised that there's an infrequent occurence of faulty NGV FRs amongst Civic GXs (which was why he immediately suspected the FR). He went on to say that there wasn't a safety issue, just annoying noise, which I'm not sure I agree with, as anything that is faulty with a fuel regulator, especially NG sounds serious enough to get it resolved. So if anyone out there has any noise issues that correlate w/ accelerator and/or post fuel-up, have a tech check out the FR.

Comment

Working...
                      X