1999 Civic GX (75K) with idle miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Civic GX (75K) with idle miss

Have a 1999 GX (75k) with idle miss that is getting worse; the engine runs fine for awhile and then has a big miss! Has set off "check engine" light with code of misfire in "cylinder 2" that eventually turns off. Experienced CNG Honda mechanic has looked at without being able to find anything wrong with it. I have heard that a bad idle can be caused by a bad distributor base plate assy? Anyone one out there with this problem?? Please get back. Ben at [email protected]

Re: 1999 Civic GX (75K) with idle miss

Additional common causes : Spark plug wire , Fuel Injector.

Comment

Injectors have been cleaned and have new plug wires. Thanks for the reply. Ben

Comment

"if" the problem can be isolated to the #2 cylinder then look at any mechanical problems that could be present with that cylinder. What are the exact conditions that the misfire occurs at? Is it repeatable? Has any recent work been performed on the vehicle, and if so what? I never relie on scan tool data as conclusive data. I always verify what i am seeing, is valid data with either a DVOM, Lab scope, vacuum gauges, pressure gauges etc.... When diagnosing these types of problems there is no such thing as to much information.

Comment

Valve adjustments should be done eery 30k mi. After market ignition wires are frequently a source of a miss. I would do the valve adjustment first, and stay with factory (or better) high voltage wires.

And cleaning an injector is by no means a guarantee that it is working properly without a flow test. GX's injectors are very suseptible to very small amounts of oil. Older public infrastructure tends to be the worst offender for putting oil in otherwise perfectly good cng. Problem is that unless you intimately know your local infrastructure, be religious about the filter changes.

I used to believe that our gas quality was such that it was a "take it ot leave it" situation with filter changes. I now know better. One of my local stations has a broken nozzle from a drive off. Only then did I notice the oil dripping from the end of the hose. Needless to say, I don't fuel there anymore. Utility co compressors in my area are hydrolic, and my compressor is new... that's the only 2 I trust to have clean oilless gas delivery.

Comment

I agree with Curtis that "cleaned" injectors may still exhibit incorrect flow characteristics. I also agree that staying with factory components is the best course of action when compared to aftermarket components of unknown quality. I have seen items as basic as a distributor cap cause extreme driveability problems after a tune up was performed. Many hours can be wasted diagnosing new parts of inferior quality. And although factory parts can also be defective it is usually far and few between. Injectors can and should be cleaned on a flowbench when using traditional on car methods do not cut the mustard. I have used West Tech performance in Mira Loma CA to properly flow bench questionable injectors and provide volume data, but I would contact the injector manufacturer first to see if the cleaning agents are compatible for your type of injector, before having this type of service done. I prefer factory ignition wire sets, but have had good luck using some high performance aftermarket components, but would caution not to use/install any high performance part until you have found the root cause of your problem. If the problem was compressor oil, then it would most likely affect more than one cylinder. Have you tried substituting an injector from a known good cylinder with the #2 injector and to see if the problem still exists?Excessive oil contamination will also cause a corresponding drop in octane which could result in detonation. Usually this will be felt/heard under load at which point the ECU will begin to remove ignition lead based on data from the knock sensor. I doubt that is your problem though based on the info you relayed.

Comment

I have a friend whose 99 GX was missing. He chased ghosts for a long time and could never figure it out. He had already changed plugs, wires, other misc. stuff. Finally he ran into someone who had the same problem on their gasoline Civic. Appartently the spark would arch before it reached the end of the plug (i.e. inside the rubber boot where the plug wire attaches to the plug). As he explained it to me, this would create carbon deposits and then become the path of least resistance for future spark. He was instructed to change the plugs, and wires AGAIN (important step). But this time, coat the plugs (and inside of the boots that attach to plugs) with a liberal amount of dielectric grease. Since he followed these simple steps he hasn't had a single problem.

Comment

Working...
              X