2009 Civic GX brake problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Civic GX brake problems

I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with your brakes. My issues occurs when I am exiting the freeway and applying the brake, I feel the pedal vibrating along with the steering wheel. I took it to Penske Honda for service and to look at the brakes, they refused to do so without paying them $20. First off I think a 2009 with brake issues is just wrong, I have had 21 cars and only a couple with brake issues, one Honda and one Toyota, each was fixed at no cost. I know this issue is partly with Honda...Anyhow, after paying the $20 they tell me that my rotors are out of round and they will fixed it if I want to pay for a complete brake job, turning the rotors and getting new pads, despite the service guy saying my pads look really good. Anyone else have the same brake issues? Any suggesstions on how to complain about this poor quality of a product? I am so done with Penkse, I should have known better but after this issue I took my 08 accord in there for a check engine light. After an hour they call me and say they need a part and they will have it Saturday, which of course they ask to keep the car. Fine...then Saturday comes and they call me in the late afternoon and tell me that they need something else and ask to keep the car till Wed! What a bunch of idiots!

Re: 2009 Civic GX brake problems

I don't know if my "brake concern" is the same as yours, but when I am on a steep descent and apply my brakes (soft pedal) for 300-400 feet to prevent overspeeding or anticipating a traffic light turning red, my brakes seem soft (very spongy) and there is some vibration in the steering wheel.

I noticed this "brake concern" the first time when I only had 3K miles on my GX. I now have 18K miles. It seems to me that the brake pads cannot withstand very much heat before they become spongy.

Does anyone know the quality of the brake pads on the 09 GX? What type of brake pads are recommended when it is time to do my brake service?

Chris
    09 GX

Comment

There is something I just don't understand. You have a 2009 Civic GX and they want to CHARGE you

The Civic should be under warrantee so the work should be paid for by Honda unless it's proven that you abused the car.

I'd register a complaint with Honda and DEMAND my $20 back or they would see me in Small Claims Court.
      John

Comment

My 09 somewhat does that, but it's only when I apply the brakes and hit a bump at the same time. As soon as my shocks rebound the shaking goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by kuykendallc View Post
          My 09 somewhat does that, but it's only when I apply the brakes and hit a bump at the same time. As soon as my shocks rebound the shaking goes away.
          I have similar brake problem with both my 2008 GX's and my Pilot. Honda's position has been this is "normal wear and tear" and not covered under any warranty. I plan to buy aftermarket slotted rotors and performance brake pads. I don't see hte point in paying money to get another set of pads and rotors that as far as I am concerned are undersized for the car.
          Adrian

Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
          Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
          Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

Comment

I am glad that its no just my car, but upset too at the same time. Does anyone know the proper department to contact to file a complaint about the brakes and try to get them resolved through Honda?

Comment

Try calling Honda Automobile Customer Service

1-800-999-1009

Comment

I have the same issue with my 07, it happens from time to time but mostly from sudden braking.

Comment

Originally posted by kblock108 View Post
                  I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with your brakes. My issues occurs when I am exiting the freeway and applying the brake, I feel the pedal vibrating along with the steering wheel. I took it to Penske Honda for service and to look at the brakes, they refused to do so without paying them $20. First off I think a 2009 with brake issues is just wrong, I have had 21 cars and only a couple with brake issues, one Honda and one Toyota, each was fixed at no cost. I know this issue is partly with Honda...Anyhow, after paying the $20 they tell me that my rotors are out of round and they will fixed it if I want to pay for a complete brake job, turning the rotors and getting new pads, despite the service guy saying my pads look really good. Anyone else have the same brake issues? Any suggesstions on how to complain about this poor quality of a product? I am so done with Penkse, I should have known better but after this issue I took my 08 accord in there for a check engine light. After an hour they call me and say they need a part and they will have it Saturday, which of course they ask to keep the car. Fine...then Saturday comes and they call me in the late afternoon and tell me that they need something else and ask to keep the car till Wed! What a bunch of idiots!
                  It sounds like your rotors are warped. I had an old Dodge pickup years ago that did something similar. Going down a hill with the brakes applied the pedal would pulse and the steering wheel would rock side to side. (sector) I had the front rotors turned and the problem went away.

This could be from uneven wear, like my Dodge; the rotor is different thicknesses at different spots and each of the calipers is opening and closing at a different time than the other as they squeeze the rotors. Or, the rotor could be warped like a potato chip. To an extreme, I've heard of a Mazda mechanic recommending that the lug nuts be tightened with a torque wrench. The theory is that uneven torque on the nuts can warp the rotor. I've never looked at the GX rotors so I don't know if this could apply to a Honda.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by gxuser View Post
                    Try calling Honda Automobile Customer Service

1-800-999-1009
                    They will appologize and tell you they're sorry you're having problems and to take it back to the dealer.

Bill

Comment

it's not a big problem, it's just that your rotors are warped..... this is normal for all cars....

what you can do is go to a cheap mom/pops shop and have them re-groove the rotor and it'll fix the problem (usually cost $15 for me) or you can go to the dealer again and change your rotors/pads for a jacked up price of $300+

I personally do my own brakes, I just go to the shop to re-groove my rotors because I don't have the machine to do it

Comment

I found out some time back that warpped rotors can be caused by improperly tightening lug nuts. It is important to use a tourqe wrench and tighten to the proper spec.

Comment

I hated my OEM brakes so I replaced the fronts with 12.2" Wilwoods. It makes a significant difference in stopping confidence and definitely changed the 'feel' of the pedal. This weekend or next, I am having the rears converted from drum to disk and setting them up with 11" Wilwoods to match the fonts.

I am used to driving my S2000 or BMW 645, both of which have monster braking capability. I think my reaction times and braking confidence placed me at risk driving the GX which definitely had lower braking power. The Wilwoods are slotted, cross drilled and larger diameter, all moving in a more positive direction.
                          '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
                          (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

Originally posted by raskell View Post
                            I hated my OEM brakes so I replaced the fronts with 12.2" Wilwoods. It makes a significant difference in stopping confidence and definitely changed the 'feel' of the pedal. This weekend or next, I am having the rears converted from drum to disk and setting them up with 11" Wilwoods to match the fonts.

I checked out Willwoods site and the only choice that came out on the search was for the S2000. What's the part number for the 12.2"s, any special assembly process that you had to deal with? And what pads did you use?

If you have the time could you do a write up of the parts needed and instructions (or pics) to convert the drums to disk. I've been thinking about converting mine for some time now.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to provide the link on the S2000 AP1 rims pics on your GX. You should share your pics on this site, your GX looks clean! Nicely done .

Comment

Working...
                            X