Update: '07 With The Rough Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Update: '07 With The Rough Idle

I have the same problem with my '09 GX 2400 mi. Everything you have described, has been my experience too, except I have not taken it to the dealer yet. It also has hard shifts from about 3-25 mph during gradual acceleration or a moving turn. Keep posting maybe I can learn from your experience.

Comment

I had similar symptoms with my '09 GX. Eventually the "Check Engine" light came on and I took it to the dealer. The mechanic found vermin droppings and nesting materials near the firewall. The vermin had eaten through some vacuum hoses. $700 later, the problem was fixed.

There is some speculation that vermin find some engine bay components tasty because they are soy based: http://tasty.typepad.com/. Popular preventative measures include putting Bounce clothes dryer sheets and mothballs, which the vermin supposedly dislike, near the tasty stuff. I can't say whether it works, but I can say that I have not had a reoccurence of the problem since using the Bounce dryer sheets.
      Patent Counsel
      '04 F150 Dedicated
      '11 Civic GX
      '11 BMW ActiveE
      FMQ2-36
      FM4

Comment

Originally posted by jschaub View Post
        I had similar symptoms with my '09 GX. Eventually the "Check Engine" light came on and I took it to the dealer. The mechanic found vermin droppings and nesting materials near the firewall. The vermin had eaten through some vacuum hoses. $700 later, the problem was fixed.

There is some speculation that vermin find some engine bay components tasty because they are soy based: http://tasty.typepad.com/. Popular preventative measures include putting Bounce clothes dryer sheets and mothballs, which the vermin supposedly dislike, near the tasty stuff. I can't say whether it works, but I can say that I have not had a reoccurence of the problem since using the Bounce dryer sheets.
        I was speaking to Larry Porter at Robertson's Palmdale Honda, (Palmdale, CA,) last Thursday. He said that there is a sensor on the Accord V6 engines that is situated at the top of the engine between the cylinder heads that rodents love. Customers have let the car sit for a while, (several days,) then they start it up and have problems. He said the rodents move in to the area between the heads and munch on that sensor.

I guess if you were to move the car every day it may keep the rodents from moving in.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Uinta View Post
          I have the same problem with my '09 GX 2400 mi. Everything you have described, has been my experience too, except I have not taken it to the dealer yet. It also has hard shifts from about 3-25 mph during gradual acceleration or a moving turn. Keep posting maybe I can learn from your experience.
          I would recommend you take it into the dealer to get it documented and looked at.

Read my post below.

Bill

Comment

Last Thursday I took my '07 GX back into Robertson's Palmdale Honda for the problem with the rough idle. I've had the car to two different dealers a total of eleven times since it had about 4,500 miles on it. I know for a fact that some of the technicians at the dealers haven't been able to reproduce the problem for various reason; you can read about it in my previous posts here.

I met Rob Craig from American Honda on Thursday. Rob drove out and spent a couple of hours with me to drive around and log the car's operating parameters using a Honda diagnostic data logger.

It seems that the rough idle is occurring all the time on my car now when the engine idles down to low idle. A second problem at idle seems to be when the electrical load increases, radiator fans switch on, interior fan switched on, etc., the RPM's drop and the engine stumbles.

Rob was interested in the fact that the GX I drive at work doesn't seem to have this problem. He said he wishes we could test that car, (about 5,700 miles on the odometer,) to get a snapshot on its operating parameters.

We did go back to the dealership and test drove a brand new '09 GX, (< 50 miles on the odometer,) with the data logger plugged in. I could feel a roughness in the idle and a bit of a stumble when the electrical load changed on that car, too.

All through the test drive on both vehicles Rob said that all the parameters he watched on the screen were within the normal range. The data logger captures much more than what can be shown on the screen at any one time, though. He did download the data logged in both cars and sent it to American Honda in Torrance, CA for evaluation.

Honda is aware that some GX's have this rough idle and stumble. As of now they don't know why some cars have it and others don't, or what causes it. Rob said Honda is interested in learning what' s causing it and correcting the problem.

All I can say is if yours has a problem as described here and in my previous posts, get it checked out at the dealer. If Honda figures out what's causing it they will write a service bulletin.

Bill

Comment

Ya know I am not there standing next to the car so I can't really say much..... I have an 07 with just over 80K and I drive the piss out of mine.... I mean foot to the floor and in the canyons as much as I can... I love the car.... But come on now... lets all be honest.... it is not a porches or a 2000S it is a civic and natural gas civic! Gutless and power management come to mind.... yes they all idle a bit rough! Even the regular gas ones.... The Toyota are know for a clicking noise.... Does it actually stall? I have had mine bog at the bottom of an off ramp after a 80mph plus 40minute ride in the 100 plus temperature day with the A/C at max!!!! almost always but never stalled?? If you think you got a lemon that is one thing... But i bought my Honda at Robertson and I think i have had Larry service mine for warranty stuff..... he is a great guy that totally knows how that engine should sound and act and has pointed out and fixed things on mine that I never even saw... I don't think the dealer gets a secret pat on the back from Honda if they don't take care of you.... Also looking at the threads... the flashing fuel thing is the switch in the door... play with it I am sure you will be able to fix it...

sTooo

Comment

Thanks Lakewood 90712 for routing me to this thread.

The shudder/rough idle issue has been happening with my '08 Civic GX for most of the cars existence. Probably gave early signs up to 15K, but were very infrequent. Mentioned as a comment to the shop at maintenance servicing and told probably nothing. Since 15K it’s become much more consistent. I’ve brought the car to Honda service a number of times and am told that the problem can’t be found or duplicated. Even allowed them to keep the car overnight with the technician taking the car home to test drive. “Nothing found.” As with others, hot days, coming to a stop and electrical loads can cause the shudder to appear. Overall rough idling occurs more often on hot days, but also any time.
                Leaving the shop after maintenance servicing and driving five blocks, found that the shudder could be duplicated by starting/stopping the fan. Not as severe as hot day stop-at-light shudders. Went back to the shop and did the fan/shudder simulation. The technician said this is normal. Mentioned that the shudder occurs many times while related to an electrical load event - power window at top closure, ac turned on, steering. The tech didn't venture into an electrical relation to the problem.

Note that I felt an urgency to purchase the 5 year extended warranty before it reached 36K earlier in the year and did. If the '12s were available, would have traded in. 40 years of driving with no car ever having these symptoms, including an ’01 GX. The ‘01 fuel injection problem was caught by cylinder-miss trouble codes. My ’03 Civic EX was a dream ride with not a hint of idle issue.

Has anyone received an answer and/or fix from their Honda service department with this? Possible an inherent design issue?? On past visits, the service shop mentioned that they weren’t aware of this issue. My next service is coming soon and I’ll be bringing this thread for reference, so thanks.

’01 Civic GX
                bought’05 at 18K miles, sold’08 at 50K miles
                warranty replacement of fuel injectors and transmission at approx. 40K

’08 Civic GX
                38K miles and shuddering along

Comment

I have had a similar problem with my 09 and have never used the AC in Alaska except to see if it still works. It is not a driveability problem just 'feels' funny when you are sitting at a light and it studders a little. No engine light, no clue at the dealership.....guess it is something you live with in the Honda along with the road noise that reqiures you to turn up the volumne......all the way to the bank.

Comment

I wish you guys that keep referring to the IAC would check your sources! My Toyota Sienna has one, and it kinda makes the same symptoms, BUT, it also has a throttle cable. The GX from 06 doesn't have this part, or any physical linkage to the throttle. I've had this issue with my '07 (from 80K to now 127 miles), done all my own maintenence, including adjusting the valves, and decided that maybe it is just the throttle body that is "sticky" or slow to respond. (mine has stalled, a few times) So I took it off and cleaned it. It was not very dirty, but who knows what causes this? Now I get the P1129 code. After hours of research around the web, I know that the idle is always better after re-doing an idle learn procedure, and from what I've found, maybe the MAP sensor may be out of spec, but it's close. It would be nice to find a troubleshooting/diagnostic tree on the internet! I'm going to get a new TB and I'll report back.

A friend convinced me to see a dealer... they charged me 2 hours labor to "reprogram the throttle body" It is working again.
                    Last edited by Darkstarchuck; 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM. Reason: update
                    Chuck J

Who wants to see another 8th Gen Civic, anyway?
                    Addicted to Unique Rides

Comment

this problem is not limited to civic GXs, see this thread on 8thcivic: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...ough-idle.html

I have a feeling that the Civic factory idle setting is too low. Unfortunately it is computer controlled and you will need to change the setting using Hondata or a similar interface.

Comment

I assume you checked the ignition system thoroughly? In my experience that is usually the cause of a rough idle.

Comment

My 09 has always idled rough, but for last few months it has steadily degraded. I experience all the symptoms described of only happening after its warmed up and when at a light. What is the general consensus of what the problem is? I am going to take it to the dealer soon, but would like a list of things for them to look at. I have had some rodent issues in the past, I wonder if they have chewed through some vacuum lines.

Comment

Took the 09 in today after having other issues, and was able to reproduce the shutter with a server manager there to witness. I left it there and they are going to look at it again tomorrow. It is also having trouble getting a full fill, it recently will not take anymore pressure at a fill than 3000 psi. They have a fmq32 and we let it fill on that to see if it will completely fill up. I had 65k miles of bliss with this car and the last 10k have been nothing but a nightmare.

Comment

My serviceman called me today & said have patience with them they are still trouble shooting the 2011 for its missing.
                              A new field engineer will be at the dealership tomorrow to help them check it out.
                              I put it in the dealership last Wed. They did say it only missed with a mid to low tank of fuel.
                              Here's hoping Honda will get to the problem.

Comment

Bump...any update on the service visit guys, my 07 is havin the shakes more frequently than usual.

Comment

Working...
                                X