Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying '09 GX, Should I buy Honda extended warranty? at what price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying '09 GX, Should I buy Honda extended warranty? at what price?

I am buying my first NGV an '09 GX. I need opinions on extended warranties and prices paid. I am looking at a Honda 7yr/100k mi extended warranty with no deductibles. Generally I would never buy an extended warranty, buy I am a newbie on the NGV front. Help me out here. Thanks!

Re: Buying '09 GX, Should I buy Honda extended warranty? at what price?

Buy the Hondacare warranty--not an aftermarket. You may find most aftermarket warranties exclude CNG components, Hondacare does not. Most shops won't be up to speed on the CNG Civic, but any Honda dealer can get factory support during repair if necessary. Buy the warranty during your last month of the factory warranty to give you the maximum amount of time on the extended warranty. It starts on the day you buy it so the longer you wait, the better. I bought 7 years, 60K miles (I don't drive that far) with a $100 deductible for $1095. The dealer has some latitude with the price so you can haggle. Good piece of mind when the regulator or tank valve fails down the road .

Comment

I thought all the HondaCare warranties started from the day you purchase the car. I purchased the HondaCare 8 year 120K miles with no deductible for $995 from a dealer back east. The dealer in California wanted almost twice as much for it. Someone told me it was prob not a real HondaCare warranty but I have verified thru Honda that it is the same as what you can purchase from the California dealers with all the same coverage. Honda indicated that they were trying to stop dealers from selling them but there were legal issues that were stopping them from stopping the dealers. Anyway, I thought the $995 was priced well enough go ahead and get it. However, the standard California warranty is pretty comprehensive.

Comment

We bought our 2000 GX and I had similar thoughts... I rarely buy extended warranties; I view them as expensive insurance. The reason I eventually went with it in this case was the clause that if I didn't use the warranty, I would be refunded the FULL price at the end of the term.
        In this case I should have gone with my gut. $1495 for the 7 year 100K, and only a single claim for a repair that I didn't even authorize (during a regular maintenance interval, they replaced some <$100 bushing in the rear that wasn't covered by the original warranty. So I did buy some piece of mind, or was it just a $1500 bushing?

I was not aware that extended warranties could be purchased up til the last month of the factory warranty... that sounds like a good plan to me
        2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
        Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
        Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
        Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

The local dealers always way overcharge for the Honda Care Warranty. I originally bought mine from the local dealer for what was supposed to be a great discount. When I checked on the price at the Honda dealer back east (New Jersey?), I got the local dealer to reduce the price of the warranty to match the back east price (from about $1500 to under $1000). It was a hassle and if I had to do it over, would have avoided the local dealer altogether. The Honda Care warranty starts from the time and mileage you take delivery of your new car. You have a limited time to purchase the Honda Care warranty, but I can't remember at the moment whether it was prior to 6,000 miles or 36,000 miles. You don't need to purchase when the finance guy at the dealership is pressuring you.

I bought my Honda Care warranty for the same reasons you are considering buying it. Some of the parts can be pretty expensive (think: high pressure regulator, injectors, and coils).

My wife and I just clunkered a van for a new Camry and I found the same price difference with the dealer-offered official Toyota warranty and the same warranty that can be found from other dealers who sell the official Toyota warranty over the net. I did not, however, buy the Toyota warranty because I felt it a waste of money.

Comment

One must look at a warranty like any other form of insurance; life, health, auto. It's something that we purchase and hope we never have to use, but if needed... it's a life saver.

As far as waiting until the end of your factory warranty to purchase. That may be outdated info, from what my finance dept tells me; If not purchased at the time of sale, then the only warranty available would be a used car warranty, which doesn't have such extended time/miles. I don't deal with warranties directly, so this is how it was explained to me. They say this changed in the last year or two.

I know Honda has terminated the practice of dealers selling discounted warranties on the web. As a franchise, they have control of how their dealer network practices business and sells their products. Any dealer caught engaged in this practice is subject to Honda's wrath.

Like any parts sold for your Honda, warranties are a profit center for the dealers. Yes, they can be negotiated to more reasonable prices than what may be originally quoted to you, but remember, the warranty is one of the few items that the finance dept gets paid on. I know very few people that work for free and last very long. Granted, they don't have to make a killing on you, but they have to make a living like you and I.

Comment

Just did a quick Google search. It appears that the length of the Honda Care warranty is dependent on when you purchased your car and how many miles are on the car when you buy the warranty. Here is a link for a Utah-based 2009 Civic with less than 6,000 miles purchased no longer than 12 months ago:

https://www.myhondawarranty.com/plan...&Submit=Submit

Looks like a 96 month/120,000 mile $0 deductible warranty is $945 and the $100 deductible plan is $845. They even throw in a $25 coupon for accessories purchased from them.

As long as you have not previously purchased a Honda Care warranty (and later canceled), you can buy this one from Sacucci Honda.

Oh, and it's Rhode Island, not New Jersey. Those teeny-tiny states back east can get so confusing.

Comment

I also looked around a bit... Not an issue for Uinta, but there may be a problem buying the HondaCare policy over the internet IF you're doing so from either FL or CA...
                Also, I did correspond with one of the HondaCare sellers w.r.t. warranty coverage: I have email confirmation that the entire fuel delivery system is covered (even thought the warranty page doesn't include items such as the high pressure regulator)- I think I'd want to see that in more substantial writing before buying the policy though.

Note also that you do get a LOT better coverage when you pick up the policy before 6000 miles (greater time and mileage coverages at a lower cost compared to waiting until closer to the end of your 36 month/36,000 miles)
                2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
                Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
                Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
                Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

where/what did you hear about the issue of buying warranties over the internet if you live in California? I am considering buying one but I live in CA.

Just answered my own question. When I went to the site and selected CA, this is the message I got:

Sales to California are on hold until the lawsuit is finished. If you have an alternate non-California shipping address you may purchase using that. If you care to view pricing please select a different state.
                  Last edited by ewrenn; 09-30-2009, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X