2000 Civic GX Not Starting - Need Help or Mechanic in Ogden/Riverdale Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Civic GX Not Starting - Need Help or Mechanic in Ogden/Riverdale Area

I have a 2000 Civic GX with 120k miles. I bought it used from a dishonest dealer in Cali (the check engine light was tampered with) and have had to fix a lot of parts on it. Fuel injectors, front and back cat converters, 02 Sensors, spark plugs, etc, etc.

Now the problem is that the car won't start. One day it was working well enough and the next day it wouldn't start. The engine turns just fine. It appears to be getting a spark AND getting fuel.

I just want to get it fixed so I can drive it in peace.

Does anyone have any insight of what could cause this problem? I might be able to get it fixed if pointed in the right direction. Or, anyone know of a good CNG mechanic in the Ogden/Riverdale Utah area? I would rather not take it to a dealer since their prices are highway robbery. Towing it to SLC would be pricy, but if its the only option I'll take what I can get.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some more details on the problem for those that have read this far:
    -The car idled rough from the beginning and would take 5-10 second to start.

-Once the car was moving, it ran fine and had plenty of power. Transmission works great. Driving on the freeway at 85 was a piece of cake while idling at a stoplight would cause it to die every now and then.

-I don't know if this could be related, I ran the car with very low fuel a days before it wouldn't start.

-I replaced the EGR Valve hoping that would fix the "not starting" problem, because it seemed to be leaking fuel. Fuel leak is now gone but the car still won't start.

Re: 2000 Civic GX Not Starting - Need Help or Mechanic in Ogden/Riverdale Area

Check the ignition coil. Even if you can see a spark it does not mean it's strong enough to start the engine. Here is a link that may help you http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignition.html

Comment

Sounds suspiciously like it could be the HPR. (High Pressure Regulator). About $1800 or so and not a do it yourself project. Kind of a known issue on the older GX's. The idle issue could be injectors or spark plug wires. Many have tried after market wires with similar outcomes. The injectors are very suseptible to oil from the older compressors that have blow-by from worn rings. Filter changes are very important when using older infrastructure. Not so much if using a Phill, or similar unit that is oil-less.

Comment

By the way, you have a number of good cng shops in Utah. Check the Service & Conversions Forum to locate one near you.

Comment

Thank you for the helpful replies!

I thought about the ignition coil. It isn't too expensive and easy to replace, but I am just hesitant to drop any more money on this thing.

I have also replaced the ignition wires.

I called and talked to Justin at lancer at he said it could be the HPR.

One more symptom I will elaborate on... if the car is really low on fuel it would start just fine but for 5-10 minutes the engine is only able to idle. If any throttle is given it either wouldn't do anything or the engine would die. After 5-10 minutes it is fine and runs like normal. Does this sound like an HPR issue?

Comment

Sure does sound like the engine is "flooding out" as we used to say. I would definately check my high and low presures with the appropriate gauges. If you do not have your F-1 cert then I would not perform any of the work your self, other than checking ignition circuit energy, engine compresion, and cooling system defects. High pressure work should only be performed by a qualified mechanic. If performing a compression check ( which I always do, and maybe a leak down) I would definately isolate the fuel system so as not to create a combustible situation if this were to be performed in a garage. I have only serviced natural gas and hydrogen vehicles outdoors enless the shop is specifically equiped with methane/hydrogen detection equipment and fire supression equipment. I doubt that you could ever get to a dangerous level of combustiblity with a defective HPR, but until you get it fixed, I personally would not park inside an enclosed area. I would spend the money for the repairs myself as long as the rest of the vehicle checks out mechanically. The cost of petrol to you and your country are far greater than any cost associated to the repair of your vehicle. Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X