HELP! GX is Totaled - Insurance Low-Balling me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! GX is Totaled - Insurance Low-Balling me

I have a 98 GX with 62k miles. I was running great until I was rear-ended and now the insurance company wants to total it out.

Based on the cars for sale in my area (Salt Lake City, UT), I figure my car is worth around $7000-7500. Unfortunately, Progressive is valuing it far lower than that. Does anyone have any advice on how to address this?

Thanks for your help!

-DA

Re: HELP! GX is Totaled - Insurance Low-Balling me

Find comparables, take in proof, have them prove their position. Have them show you one you can purchase at the price they are offering.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryect View Post
      Find comparables, take in proof, have them prove their position. Have them show you one you can purchase at the price they are offering.
      Agreed. If it is the other drivers insurance that is lowballing you, they are trying to get away with as little as they can, because they've done it before and they know how the game is played.

It might help to get an attorney involved, if nothing more than to show them that you are serious about your position. Even if the attorney ends up be a facade ...

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Last time I had a car totalled (thankfully, been quite some time), my insurance company actually showed me the listings of the vehicles for sale that they were using for the pricing determination. Granted, this was GEICO, and not Regressive, I would ask them for the same.
        1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
        2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Thanks to you all for the advice! The best part of driving CNG is the community around it.

Special thanks to Derek at CNG Utah (www.cngutah.com) for offering to provide sales records for recent Civic Gxs to help my case.

I think that getting my lawyer involved is probably the next step. I hate it that the only way to get things done is by using a stick.

Comment

Don't back down. They might be trying to compare it to a normal LX as most people, including the sales people at my local Honda dealership, have never heard of a GX.

Keep us posted, too. I want to know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
            X