buying a used 2000 GX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a used 2000 GX

Hey I'm thinking of buying a used 2000 GX with less than 50,000 miles. Does anyone see a big problem with this?

Thanks.

Chris

Re: buying a used 2000 GX

The problem spots on the 98-00 seem to be pressure regulators (about $1500) , fuel injectors ($500-600each) and the catalist closest to the engine ( it is at the end of the exhaust manifold) , ( $600-800) . And no , I didn't put too many zeros on the prices.

The pressure regulator problems seem to be age related. Injector / catalist problems don't often show before 80,000 miles.

Also, the fuel tank ($6,000 -$9,000) is suposed to be replaced when it is 15 years old , like 2014 or 2015 on that vehicle.

Some have gone 160,000 with no cng related problems, but it is rare.

The rest of the car is the same as LX 4 door.

Ever wonder why fleet's get rid of low mile cars before they get 10 years old ?

That's the good , the bad and the ugly.

Comment

Sample of one 2000 GX, currently at 120K miles:
      I purchased the 7 year 100,000 extended warranty... it was only used to replace a bushing in the rear (so in this case, extended warranty was a huge waste of money).
      One month out of warranty, the main engine electronics module (EECM) died and cost ~ 800 to replace.
      Less than 6 months out of warranty, the AC compressor died... don't ask what that cost to get running again. But both of these problems were at more than twice the mileage of the vehicle you're looking at.
      I didn't have any of the issues that Lakewood90712 noted... not sure if it matters, but my gut tells me that refueling at home might give you "cleaner" CNG and prevent problems in the fuel delivery system in general. This vehicle was fueled at home for 95% of its fuelings (Fuelmaker won't "add oil" the way that the compressors in the fast fill systems can; e.g. my fuel filters last a LONG time)

Good Luck!
      2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
      Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
      Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
      Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

I bought my 99 Civic with 50K and the only problem I had was the catalytic converter, and cost me around a grand after almost a week (got free rental car) for them to figure out the problem. that was at about 110K, I had about 126K on it when I wrecked it.
        BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
          The problem spots on the 98-00 seem to be pressure regulators (about $1500) , fuel injectors ($500-600each) and the catalist closest to the engine ( it is at the end of the exhaust manifold) , ( $600-800) . And no , I didn't put too many zeros on the prices.
          In 2004, I bought a 2000 Civic GX with 49,500 miles on it. It worked AWESOME, saved me hours each week on my commute, and saved me a whole lot of money on gas. About a year later, my fuel injectors went out. It cost me $2500 to replace them! I was really disappointed, but I went for it, and haven't had any problems since then. My 2000 GX now has 145,000 miles on it and still runs great.

I don't regret buying it at the time, but if I were to buy one today, I'd definitely get a 2001 or newer because they have a 15yr/150k mile warranty, while the 2000 only has a 7yr/70k mile warranty. My injectors went out right after the warranty expired, and I've heard that Honda created a better warranty because injectors typically went out around that time.

If you're still considering a 2000, check to see if the injectors have already been replaced or take the car to a CNG-authorized dealership to get them inspected by a mechanic.

Comment

Working...
          X