Cracked Cylinder Block...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked Cylinder Block...

My 2006 Civic GX with just under 40,000 miles is in the shop. About a week ago I smelled radiator fluid and upon close inspection noticed coolant leaking through the cylinder block. That same morning the dealership service center confirmed the cracked block. My car is getting a new block thanks to either the original car warranty or the extended one I purchased. The repair is taking time because the wrong parts were ordered. They initially ordered parts for a normal Civic.

Am I the only one to have this cracked block problem? I did a search and couldn’t find anything related on CNGChat. After searching the Internet I’ve found other Honda’s with this problem (TSB 08-044), but not GX’s as far as I can tell. Please let me know your experience.

The service center only ordered the 10002-RNE-A00 General Assy and 06110-RNB-000 Gasket Kit. It seems to me that more parts should be part of this rebuild, relative to the TSB previously mentioned. Any insight in this area would be greatly appreciated too.

Also, since they are replacing the block what else should I have them replace while everything is dismantled? I’ve requested a new water pump and have considered replacing the timing chain.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

Re: Cracked Cylinder Block...

This is new to me but a couple of things need to be asked of your dealer. I looked at the TSB and it says it doesn't apply to the GX. The part number for the short block assembly is listed in the TSB is the same number you said they ordered for your car. This could not be the right assembly as I know the compression ratio of the GX is different then the standard Civic. In addition (and Curtis can chime in here) the GX engine has different, stronger, connecting rods. You are going to be really unhappy if you get a low compression engine in your car . Just because the TSB says it doesn't apply to the GX doesn't mean the GX blocks don't crack. It just means that the instructions and part numbers in the TSB might be different than those needed for the GX. BTW that TSB looks a little scary--there was a note about goodwill replacement for those out of warranty. I would pay the extra to have the timing chain replaced and possible have a valve job done as long as the head is off the engine. Valves are a high wear item in any NG engine, and as the rest of the engine is being replaced, it could be a good thing to do the valves. Keep us posted!

Comment

I would agree with siai47's suggestions. However I would find out what caused the block to crack; it almost sounds like a design flaw from the TSB. Also check the radiator.

Larrycng

Comment

Please keep us updated. If it is a design flaw, does the new block eliminate the design flaw through some sort of re-design? If so what are they re-designing? If not, that is bad news for all of us that own the new generation Civics, much like the CVT's killed the last generation of Civic GX's.

I was counting on 300,000+ miles on my two '08 Civic purchases. This introduces a lot of doubt. If I wanted a car that only has a useful life of 100,000 miles (beyond which there is usually no more good will, warranty or recall repait), I would have bought a Ford for considerably less money. I hope Honda handles this differently that they did the CVT's. A re-design that solves the problem is the only acceptable solution.

I hope I'm not shopping for a 2 Toyotas next.
        Adrian

Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
        Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
        Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

Comment

I didn't want to jump into this conversation until I was able to talk to my service dept about it.

The situation is this; in rare cases there has been a condition called a "porous block". My service dept has seen 3 or four since 2006. They say not to worry, and that Honda has been standing behind the customer in these rare occurances.

They couldn't say if it is related to a particular engine manufacturing facility casting problem, or effected only certain years. I wouldn't be very concerned about it unless you develop an oil or coolant leak.

I would also suspect that if your car has gone a summer (or two) and had no issue... it's most likely a non-issue for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
            I didn't want to jump into this conversation until I was able to talk to my service dept about it.

The situation is this; in rare cases there has been a condition called a "porous block". My service dept has seen 3 or four since 2006. They say not to worry, and that Honda has been standing behind the customer in these rare occurances.

They couldn't say if it is related to a particular engine manufacturing facility casting problem, or effected only certain years. I wouldn't be very concerned about it unless you develop an oil or coolant leak.

I would also suspect that if your car has gone a summer (or two) and had no issue... it's most likely a non-issue for you.
            I found the website below; posts indicate many owners that are our of warranty are out of luck, same story as the CVT's:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/C...ne_block.shtml

If you switch to model year 2008, there's only one post for a cracked engine block and that guy has about 100k miles. So we'll have to see what happens at 100k to other members of this site that own '06 and newer GX's.

Like I said, I expect a 300 k life out of any new car I buy. Also, I hope Honda treats this issue differently than they treated the CVT's in the last gen GX.
            Adrian

Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
            Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
            Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

Comment

Hmmm...while they are in there, have them do the head also.
              I got a honda 1 month ago (free), the prior owner (bought it new)
              had spent $9000 on repairs (in fairness, it had 120,000 mi.)
              The cracked head was the final straw. Fixed it, but then again
              I have a machine shop. Sold, the phone ran off the wall, everybody wants a honda! Too bad the aluminum is so soft/cheap, the valve seats will pound
              out in a couple of years.
              In contrast, I have a F250 that NOBODY wants to buy, even though
              most of them go 200,000 without trouble. It's a tank, but man can you
              carry a load. Sadly, I am waiting for my year's up duration of insurance/registration to sell it to CARS, whereupon it will be crushed, that is, if the money is still there ($4500 towards a new Ford Fiesta)

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the information.

The second block they ordered is different than what the TSB states, there is a subtle "E" instead of an "A" in the proper GX 10002-RNE-A00 cylinder block part number. Originally they ordered the part with an “RNA” in it, causing an initial delay. I confirmed this with another dealership so I believe they got it right.

The block finally arrived at the service center yesterday and while rebuilding the engine they bent one (or more?) of the bolts. So my repair is a little delayed while they wait for more parts. They are estimating I should get my car back on Thursday, 13 days after I initially dropped it off. It took 4-5 days for the new block to arrive. It must have come from the plant in Ohio or Indiana due to shipping time.

In the end I decided to only have the water pump replaced. The other items everyone mentioned (timing chain, valves, head) sounded like great suggestions but at this point in time I don’t have the extra money for “luxury” items. In the long run I hope this was the right decision. The whole cooling system was checked and the radiator itself was sound, no leaks. In fact the whole cooling system was sound except for the cracks in the block. When done I’m going to make sure they do another pressure test.

I hope someone at Honda will take my cracked block and inspect it to see what actually caused it to fail. Perhaps Curtis is right and my block had porous voids that expanded over time for some reason. If that is what they find the TSB may be extended to include GX’s.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                X