2009 Civic fuel filter question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Civic fuel filter question.

I just had my first A1 server at 10,000 miles on my 2009 Civic, and the Honda dealer changed the oil/filter, rotated tires and replaced one of the fuel filters. I asked them to give me the old filter (pic is attached)...I was thinking that this filter is the one that should be replaced at 30K - not at 10K. Does anyone know if the attached fuel filter is the correct one to be replaced at 10K? I thought it was the low pressure filter that is supposed to get replaced at 10K. Isn't this one the high pressure filter Also, it looks brand new - like it hasn't even been used.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: 2009 Civic fuel filter question.

That IS the low pressure filter. They changed the correct one for 10,000 mi.

Real easy to see if it is used. Does it smell like the oderant in natural gas , even a little ?

You must have a very good fuel supplier , or fill up at home.

The high pressure filter is even smaller.

Comment

Thanks for the response Lakewood. The following web page said that the low pressure filter was the one that looked like an oil filter - maybe that is for an older model of the GX?

http://www.cngcivic.com/CIVIC_GX_CNG_Filters.php

The CNG system requires replacement of a large low pressure filter every 10,000 miles. It cost about $122.00 for the filter excluding labor. It's the filter in the photo that looks like an oil filter. The high pressure filter is replaced every 30,000 (part cost about $52.0), also shown in the photo in front of the large filter.

Thanks again - I was really starting to doubt how much my dealer's service department knew about the GX

Also, it didn't have any smell at all. I think the service advisor was even a little surprised at how clean it was.
      Last edited by brianosu; 05-31-2009, 11:12 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

The 98-00 have no low pressure filter , the 01-05 have a spin on low pressure filter (thick shell, red color) , it does look like an oil filter and the 06-09 low pressure filter is as shown in the photo.

The high pressure filter is the same for 98-09.

Every time I changed the filters on my old 01 , the high pressure was clean , but discolored, and the low pressure always had oil some oil in it and smelled like natural gas.

The filters are not hard to change, but are a real pain to get to unless the car is on a garage lift.
        Last edited by Lakewood90712; 06-01-2009, 10:59 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

typo - 01-09 have the same HP filter element.

So, at $150/10k miles, 40miles/gge, LP filters alone are costing you $.60/gge. Something is wrong with this picture, Honda.
          02 GX
          01 GX
          03 Crown Vic
          06 GX
          Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by brianosu View Post
            I just had my first A1 server at 10,000 miles on my 2009 Civic, and the Honda dealer changed the oil/filter, rotated tires and replaced one of the fuel filters. I asked them to give me the old filter (pic is attached)...I was thinking that this filter is the one that should be replaced at 30K - not at 10K. Does anyone know if the attached fuel filter is the correct one to be replaced at 10K? I thought it was the low pressure filter that is supposed to get replaced at 10K. Isn't this one the high pressure filter Also, it looks brand new - like it hasn't even been used.

Thanks.
            I had the same problem with my dealer here in California. They were supposed to replace the low pressure filter at the B1 service (not sure why they did yours at the A1). However, they replaced the smaller high pressure filter( same as the one in your picture). When I asked them, they agreed they had replaced the wrong filter and then did the low pressure ( one that looks like an oil filter) for free. It was all very confusing and they had to get Honda on the phone to figure out the correct replacement sequence. At first they thought the Honda documentation was wrong. The tech was sure he had learned in the Honda training to replace it in the opposite order. Anyway, according to what my dealer figured out, you are correct, they installed the incorrect filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
              That IS the low pressure filter. They changed the correct one for 10,000 mi.

Real easy to see if it is used. Does it smell like the oderant in natural gas , even a little ?

You must have a very good fuel supplier , or fill up at home.

The high pressure filter is even smaller.
              I just continued reading through the entries and saw your aswer to the filter question. Now I am cunfused again. According to my dealer the picture that was included of the small filter is the high pressure filter. It is the one closer to the tank. The technician at the dealership confirmed this to me and then did a free replacement of the low pressure filter(oil filter size in the front of the car) to make up for their mistake. I was sure the dealer had figured out the correct answer after 30 min on the phone with Honda. But, maybe Honda is just as confused as everybody else.

Comment

And they did it way before it was needed/suggested/recommend/required. I would return with the old filter and expect a refund for the premature filter change, parts and labor (or a credit to have it done at the proper time).
                Last edited by freedml; 06-01-2009, 02:23 PM.
                02 GX
                01 GX
                03 Crown Vic
                06 GX
                Home Fueler

Comment

I dont understand why you would change a fillter on cng by milage it makes more sense to install a pressure gauge and change it when it has a pressure drop across the fillter I run a gauge on mine and change it when I have a drop of around 150 lbs to tank pressure I dont know how much it would take to starve the motor for gas I can tell if I run amost out of gas at a 150 drop when I get to about 250 tank pressure so I came up with the 150 # I think this because I have fueled at places that left my adapter oily when done to where it made a mess in the console and I have fueled at some stations that have very clean gas and my compresser pumps little to no oil so to me milage dont make sense

Comment

What you say makes sense, but keep in mind that many ngv's don't have pressure gages in them to make this kind of monitoring possible. Most of us would love to have this capability, but don't.

You made the point here about why you'd do your regular filter services. One compressor blowing oil can foul an injector... or several. CNG injectors are pretty sensitive to oil contamination.

I used to make the argument that we had good quality gas in Ca, but the problem will more than likely be a poorly maintained compressor.

Imagine that the compressor that is blowing oil is your convenient fueling spot and you used it all the time... It happens more than we think, since most wouldn't know how to spot such a problem before the damage was done.

Comment

They wouldn't put in another sensor to monitor an inexpensive, easily changeable filter. Of course, the filter didn't end up being inexpensive or easy to change, did it? And going by mileage is easy for service writers to understand. In fact, they'll get more work from GX owners since they are going by the 'usage minder' and not strictly by mileage.
                      02 GX
                      01 GX
                      03 Crown Vic
                      06 GX
                      Home Fueler

Comment

Welcome to the world of useage reminders and "Lane Lizzards" (service writters).

Tell the owners how to turn off the maintenance reminder. I found out. I change oil in my CRV more often that required and the wrench drives my wife crazy (and as she says, she doesn't have far to go).

Larrycng

Comment

Why Change the Low Pressure Filter at 10K???
                          My maintenance minder for A1 service (~10K) is oil change and tire rotation as stated by Honda in the Maintenance Minder of the manual.

B1 service is to Change the Low pressure and drain the High Pressure..
                          B1 usually is at 30K..

I have a 2009 with 13K miles on it and the dealer I went to at 10K said the same..
                          What should I do?
                          Last edited by lcovelli; 06-04-2009, 01:31 AM. Reason: adding picture
                          Silver 09 GX
                          Phill G:1.5

Comment

Have them do what the manual says.
                            02 GX
                            01 GX
                            03 Crown Vic
                            06 GX
                            Home Fueler

Comment

As far as I can tell , 06 and later , the manual says , 5k or there about , Change engine oil and oil filter , and DRAIN , not change, the high pressure filter housing. 10K or there abouts, do the same + Rotate Tires and CHANGE Low pressure fuel filter. 15K , 25K same as 5K, 20K , same as 10 K, 30k add Check valve adjustment, Change high pressure filter. Following this will be co$tly, even if you do the work yourself and buy the filters on the internet.

On my '01 , the 01'-02' manual was saying to Drain the high pressure, and CHANGE the Low pressure at every 5 k , and Change the High pressure at every 10K.
                              Following this factory schedule on the '01, at dealer prices would cost 4.5 cents per mile just for filters!!! $ 4,500 per 100k miles for fuel filters ? I Don't know of anyone doing this.

The 03'-05' has less frequent specs, with an identical system

The filters are very small and will not do much to protect your injectors if you are fueling at a station with major oil contamination.

The service advisors at a certain Honda dealer who does the service on vehicles owned by Honda says he has never done any fuel filter changes on cars owned by honda, ever, and they never even sugested filter changes on my vehicles. So go figure.

Photos of fiters at http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5014.
                              Last edited by Lakewood90712; 06-04-2009, 08:29 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

Working...
                              X