O-ring source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O-ring source

I need to replace the o-ring in the fill nozzle on my 98 GX (it is no longer there). Does anyone have a part number or the dimensions of this o-ring so that I can find a replacement without the original to compare it with?

Thanks,
    Jay

Re: O-ring source

I use an o-ring with the dash number of -110 for my Chevy Cavalier. I wouldn't think that there should be a difference between vehicles on this one. You can get these at www.mcmaster.com . It is part number 9452K22. They come in a pack of 100 and cost about $7 with shipping.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

100 o-rings might be a bit of overkill. You can pick up the propper part at Honda for around $5-$6 I believe. O-rings are not all created equal. They tend to vary in their composition. Some materials that are common in o-rings don't hold up to things like oil, gas, or even methane.

Jared knows his stuff and knows what type of o-ring material to look for. The fast fix is to stop into the nearest GX dealer. They should stock them. You may not be able to refuel until you replace this item, so be aware.

Comment

Curtis is right. You will not be able to fill up without the o-ring. It will leak profusely at the filling nozzle/receptacle interface. The best o-ring material is Buna-N (also known as NBR). I know that 100 is overkill, but I have a lifetime supply for me and my friends for $7.
        Jared.
        Mountain Green, Utah
        2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
          Curtis is right. You will not be able to fill up without the o-ring. It will leak profusely at the filling nozzle/receptacle interface. The best o-ring material is Buna-N (also known as NBR). I know that 100 is overkill, but I have a lifetime supply for me and my friends for $7.
          I have a feeling that Jay98 wants to be your friend.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I ordered a bag of 100 from Grainer for about $2 and I can pick it up locally

It's interesting that I have been able to fill up without any problem at one filling location, but it did leak profusely at another location.

I can't believe that Honda gets $8 for a 2 cent o-ring. That is highway robbery in its purest form

Comment

Happy to help out. I don't know about the Civic GX, but the Chevy Cavalier has a metallic filter just inside the filling nozzle which is held in place by a snap ring. The o-ring sits just outside this snap ring. You have to remove the o-ring to get to the filter so it can be cleaned. Almost every time you remove the o-ring you damage it. So I just replace it with a new one. In Utah, there are no dryers or anything at the fueling stations, so I clean my filters quite regularly (every 3 months).
              Jared.
              Mountain Green, Utah
              2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

Thanks Jared for the o-ring info. Just received my box of 100 from McMcaster-Carr. Guess I won't be going to parts now for a $7 dollar o-ring.
                Tom

Comment

Good looking out Jared! I just bought a 100 pack of o-rings for $2.15 (not including shipping and tax). Thanks!

Comment

If anyone's really worried about running out of these, you can buy a pack of 35,000 at Drillspot:
                    http://www.drillspot.com/products/53...r_3gcw1_o-ring

Comment

BTW, from looking at Mcmaster and Grainger... If you want to order these from other places it looks like the part number you search for is "AS568A-110".

The part number posted above is the Mcmaster #. Figured this might be helpful if one of these places is out of stock and you have to go elsewhere.

Comment

Just want to say thanks to Jared. I had an issue filling up last weekend. There was an o ring trapped inside the nozzle and I could not lock the nozzle onto my CV. When I noticed the trapped o ring in the nozzle and took it out and I was able to lock on. It leaked profusely while filling. Scared the crap out of me. I thought it was the pump. I went to another location with a more modern nozzle and it filled with no issue.

The next day I went to a third location with a third type of nozzle and it leaked again. After reading the posts here I went back out to my car and noticed that my o ring was missing. I fished around in the fuel filler area below the receptacle and there was my worn out o ring. Put it back and my fueling issue was gone. Thanks to this thread I was able to order my 100 o rings for less than 8 bucks and swapped out the old for the new. I have 99 o rings to give away to anyone that needs one or two of them.

Comment

The O-Ring should be made of Buna-N (Nitrile). I bought a 100 pack from Grainger for $3.76 plus tax. Grainger number 1KEZ7. I left a small packet of them with an instruction sheet in the brochure holder at the PG&E station in San Rafael. Over the last year only one has been taken. Feel free to use one if your in the neighborhood. And, take one for a friend .

Roger

2004 GX

Comment

Originally posted by Jay98 View Post
                            Thanks for the info. I ordered a bag of 100 from Grainer for about $2 and I can pick it up locally

It's interesting that I have been able to fill up without any problem at one filling location, but it did leak profusely at another location.

I can't believe that Honda gets $8 for a 2 cent o-ring. That is highway robbery in its purest form
                            it is worse that that, if you see turbocco's post and link this is how they would be buying O-Rings, putting their cost closer to .009 cents probably cheaper as they are likely buying many of these packs just to get them on the cars they manufacture in the first place.

Comment

I thought I would pick up an o-ring for emergencies at Gardena Honda until they said one would cost me now get this.... $13.78. Thanks Jared for the McMaster-Carr find. P.S. they still would have to special order it too.
                              Last edited by WellFedEd; 12-15-2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X