Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used '02 GX with 200K+ miles, worth the risk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used '02 GX with 200K+ miles, worth the risk?

Hey folks, I'm a newbie to CNG but a quasi old timer when it comes to fuel efficiency and working on cars. The opportunity opened or me to get a 2002 Civic GX with 200,000 miles on it. It has been maintained by a Honda only repair shop and the owner is friends with the person who worked on it and has all the records for the car. I have no idea how a CNG vehicle behaves with high miles. Does the MPG change with age? Are there major repairs that come up when they go that high? Any words of advice? I'm leaning on getting it, but certainly have my reservations. 2ยข from you veterans would be welcomed...

Thanks,
    -Mike

A quick insight into my MPG geek quotient:
    I have owned a few Geo Metros that I've averaged over 50mpg with, and I've replaced brakes, transmissions and engines on them. I currently own a stock 93 Civic DX which apart from brakes and CV boots, has never needed any work done on it. I've made it up to 51mpg on it, but usually average 44mpg.

Re: Used '02 GX with 200K+ miles, worth the risk?

Indeed there are a lot of expensive parts on the GX. CVT, HPR, injectors and coils are the major ones that go out, and these parts are very expensive.

I don't think the mileage changes much with age.

If you're after mileage, the GX may not be a good choice, in the 30+ range.

The major reasons to buy a GX are carpool lane access and/or home fueling.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. What is the lifespan of most of these parts?

Comment

A lot less than 200k...
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

Theoretically you can get many more miles from a cng engine than a gasoline version due to the low carbon fuel. Carbon plays havoc with the inside of an engine. A well maintained Honda with 200k isn't that scary.

Michael makes the most persuasive argument for the reality of such a purchase. In CA you have a 150k warranty on the parts he mentioned. You will obviously lose this benefit due to mileage. A search of the records, or conversation with the seller, about the parts mentioned would be wise. Have any of these pricey items been replaced?

The price should be extremely reasonable to make the possibility of affecting these repairs yourself if the cars all original. I think a little hunting would render a similar vehicle with relatively low miles at a very reasonable price.

From 2001 and up the warranty I mentioned is still in place, and more often than not, a handy thing to have.

Comment

I appreciate the help guys. I wast just wondering what the lifespan of the CVT or HPR was in case it was replaced before 100,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
              Michael makes the most persuasive argument for the reality of such a purchase. In CA you have a 150k warranty on the parts he mentioned.
              I haven't heard of this warranty. About a year ago I spent about $2500 replacing my fuel injectors and my car had about 100k miles on it. Do you have any more info on this warranty?

Comment

There are numerous discussions of the CA emissions warranty throughout the GX forum. You can use the search button at the top of any page, type in "150k" and search threads/posts where is is discussed.

Basically, it's a 15yr/150k mi emissions warranty that applies to 2001 my and newer SULEV/AT-PZEV vehicles registered in CA. The GX warranty book lists covered items in detail.

Perhaps someone has a book that they could scan and post as a PDF for those who bought used vehicles that are missing this important information.

Comment

It's here http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25848

Sounds to me like it should have been covered. I had injectors covered under this warranty. Start with the dealer's service manager.
                  02 GX
                  01 GX
                  03 Crown Vic
                  06 GX
                  Home Fueler

Comment

Thanks for the pointers about the 150k warranty. I was about to grab my receipts and head down to my dealership for a $2,500 refund. Unfortunately, I saw that because my car is a 2000, it only has the 70k/7yr warranty.

That reminded me of how it all went down. My injectors went out when I had 71k miles. I tried asked them if they'd consider doing it for free given that it was so close, but they wouldn't go for it. Can't blame me for trying.

Comment

You actually have an 8yr/80,000 mi emissions on a 2000 GX. Does that get you the refund? Any Honda dealer should have taken care of you if the car was still within it's warranty period.

Comment

I wish it were 80k/8yr, but I checked in my warranty booklet and it said 70k/7yr on my 2000 GX.

Comment

If it's only 1k over the miles Honda will sometimes do something like cover the parts but you pay for the labor. But it has to be arranged before the work is done...
                          02 GX
                          01 GX
                          03 Crown Vic
                          06 GX
                          Home Fueler

Comment

Working...
                          X