check engine light 2000 gx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check engine light 2000 gx

hi, new to the forum, looking for good advice.first, i have a 2000 gx that has 120,000 miles.bought used. has check engine light.if i reset the computer and drive the car on the highway, i can go over 50 miles and the light wont come back on. if i drive it two miles, shut it off, drive 12 miles, shut it off, dive it on the highway, and it will come back on at 18 miles almost exactly. i took it to a shop to have codes scannned and they said the o2 sensor at the outlet of the converter was weak. ireplaced it and it acts the same. i the replaced the front o2 sensor to no avail. i was wondering what my next step would be. second, im looking at buying a used 02 gx that has "electrical defects".88,000 miles on it. thats all the info i have. is there a common electrical defect with this year gx? has anyone had any experience with this? any info would be gratly appreciated. thanks. Tucker

Re: check engine light 2000 gx

Welcome to the group, Zip. Wish I could answer your questions. There are no electrical issues I am aware of in the 2002, but there are others here more qualified to walk you through this than I.

I am going to move this thread over to the GX forum to make it easier to find by thise who might help, so follow it there, ok? Best of luck with your projects.

Comment

The 2000 and the 2002 are a different engine family. On the 2000 , you prob. have a bad catalist (the front one) if the OBD2 code indicates : " low catalist efficiency " .I'm almost sure it is GX specific , so get out about six $100 bills .

On the 02, big risk. If it is a SULEV car and in california, most emisions related electrical components are under warranty for 15yr/150K miles. Unless you can get the car for scrap value, I advise you pass it up. Plenty of good ones without problems at good prices .
      Last edited by Lakewood90712; 05-03-2009, 09:25 PM.

Comment

You need to get the specific code for anyone to figure it out. My guess is that it is probably the CAT (on my '99), mine went out, and was repaired for around 600, I think the code was p130.
        BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Originally posted by jetboatjohnny View Post
          You need to get the specific code for anyone to figure it out. My guess is that it is probably the CAT (on my '99), mine went out, and was repaired for around 600, I think the code was p130.
          Why is the Cat so expensive to replace? Was that the Honda factory part?

Comment

The CAT for the ngv's are a special 3 stage catalytic. I believe they're designed to bring down the NOx specifically. This tends to make them fairly pricey compared to a simple CAT found on most cars.

Comment

Working...
            X