Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blinking fuel light - need help

I have a 2002 GX with 96,000 miles.

Well, I decided to service the fuel filters today. I put the front up on ramps, depressurized the system changed the oil, filter and low perssure filter. Re-pressurized, started the car, took it off the ramps - had lunch.

Went out, re-started the car, put the rear on ramps, depressurized the system, changed the high pressure filter, put it back together, repressurized the system - Fuel light blinking, gauge on empty - no start.

The only thing I can think of is this - when I put the rear on ramps, I let the car contiue to run, got under it, shut the manual valve off, let the car die and performed the work - I left the key on. Then when done I opened the manual valve, heard gas move into the system.

I think this may have relieved to much pressure on the engine side of the elctric valve and now the valve is not openeing. I don't believe I could have damaged any wires under the car - I did not see any. I am not hearing the electric valve opening.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Blinking fuel light - need help

By leaving the key on, you may have "tricked" the ECU into thinking you have a fuel leak. It will not let you start the car again until it is convinced you have fixed the leak. You may have to reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 minutes to clear this fault.

Comment

Thanks, I will try it.

I did plug in my scangauge and I don't see any codes. But of course it may not pick this up due to the unique fuel system.

Will let you know what happens.

Comment

Jay98,

You are a genius

It worked. I had visions of expensive repairs. Now I just need to reprogram my radio.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

No, no expensive repairs, yet. You have a 15y/150k warranty on the CNG system and any emissions related problems in CA.
          02 GX
          01 GX
          03 Crown Vic
          06 GX
          Home Fueler

Comment

Thanks,

I am aware of the warranty. In fact I just got all my injectors replaced for free. However, it does not specifically list the solenoid valve. So, I figured it might not be covered.

But, all is good now thanks to Jay98's advice.

Comment

While driving on the freeway yesterday near San Juan, CA. my 2008 GX stalled with fuel light blinking and gauge moving toward empty. The tank was 3/4 full at the time. Had it towed to the Honda dealer and after a day they told me my battery was bad. Does that seem plausable or am I due for more problems. I asked them if they could have clearned the problem by disconnecting the battery. They indicated that disconnecting the battery does not reset anything. That seems to be contrary to the info in this thread.

The car cranked fine - flashers worked while waiting for the tow truck. Tow truck driver verified that it was a fuel problem before towing also.

Comment

Hi Malibu,
                The battery could be the problem, especially with late model computer/CAN (controller area network) vehicles. My nephew had one on an '08 Expedition. As for clearing codes and resetting monitors by disconnecting the battery, it sounds like they are sliding you a load. Most codes and monitors can be reset by leaving the negative battery terminal disconnected for asbout 15 minutes; some take less time. There are a few "things" in the computer's memory that can not be reset in this manner, Chrysler has some, the Ford diesel over speed code for example.

If the battery was the real problem, then you should not have any more problems. If the battery does discharges (below about 12.4 volts or less -- varies withe vehicle) after the vehicle has been sitting for couple of days (or less) you may have as problem with parasitic drain. Most computer vehicles will have no more that about a 50 milli-amp draw (ball park figuer) after the vehicle the vehicle shuts down. Some vehicle take 30 minutes or so to drop to that level or lower. The complexity of the system will determine the time and final current draw.

Hope this helps

larrycng
                Last edited by larrycng; 05-26-2010, 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling a finger coordination

Comment

My guess is they didn't find the real problem. I had a fuel sender go bad on my 2002. They 'updated and reset the computer' and it went away for a few weeks, then happened again. On the 2002 you just keep driving. It sounds like on the next generation a fuel gauge error shuts down the fuel system.
                  02 GX
                  01 GX
                  03 Crown Vic
                  06 GX
                  Home Fueler

Comment

Thanks for the input - I also believe that they probably did not find the real problem. Even the Honda dealers that have GX trained mechanics seem to struggle with repairs and routine maintenance on these vehicles. The fact the the vehicle stalled while running is odd. People have told me that the alternator is actually powering the vehicle while it is running and not the battery. Well -- I just hope I am not too far away from a GX dealer when it happens again.

OH -- When I called Honda Care to have my vehicle towed, they told me there is a limit to how far they will tow the vehicle and the 4 miles to the Honda dealer was right at the limit. When I bought the warranty I was told they would tow it to the nearest GX Honda dealer regardless of the distance. Anyone else had this issue??

Comment

Have had freeway stalling with blinking fuel light and gauge moving toward empty 3 times now. Each time the Honda dealer recycles battery power and the problem seems to go away for a while. They say there are no codes set. I wonder if there are codes for this problem? I am getting tired of stalling on the freeway. So, others who have had this problem - have codes ever been found indicating what the problem is? I think maybe I will just recycle power myself the next time and save the time being towed.

Have a friend with a 2009 GX who has had the blinking problem but his car does not stall. He always just cycles power and if the problem goes away he is happy.

2008 GX 50K miles

Comment

I think you have two problems.

Blinking is something it does when it thinks the fuel door is open. So maybe that switch has a problem.

A bad fuel sender module may cause problems without setting a code. They should have replaced that the 2nd time you were towed in.
                        02 GX
                        01 GX
                        03 Crown Vic
                        06 GX
                        Home Fueler

Comment

Stop disconnecting battery cables! There is a FUSE for errasing the DTC codes.
                          Under hood fuse "backup/radio" for 15sec.

If You need to see the error just jump the SCS connector then turn the key to ON and count the MIL lamp.

Comment

Originally posted by sand0 View Post
                            Stop disconnecting battery cables! There is a FUSE for errasing the DTC codes.
                            Under hood fuse "backup/radio" for 15sec.

If You need to see the error just jump the SCS connector then turn the key to ON and count the MIL lamp.
                            I have assumed the Honda dealer knows how to work on these cars but maybe not the one I go to. Since it did not show any error codes maybe there was no reason to remove the fuse that you refer to and they went to the sure fire drastic reset. I will try looking at the error codes myself by jumping the SCS connector.

Thanks

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
                              I think you have two problems.

Blinking is something it does when it thinks the fuel door is open. So maybe that switch has a problem.

A bad fuel sender module may cause problems without setting a code. They should have replaced that the 2nd time you were towed in.
                              Would a bad sender module cause the car to stall. Reading through the threads there seems to be two common problems. The sender(no stall) and the pressure regulator (stall). Had it towed to a close by location last night. Think I will try to read the codes using sando's suggestion and maybe reset it myself this time. HondaCare only tows a few miles which meands $$$ to get it to a GX dealer. Purchasing dealer told me thay Honda Care would tow it to the closest dealer that could fix it. Apparently that is not true.

Comment

Working...
                              X