Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GX Tank Repairs?

Hi,

We have a 1998 GX which has developed a leak at the tank neck. Of course it's behind the shielding, so the leak is noticeable inside the vehicle. If it was on the other side of the shielding, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

It appears as though the nipple that threads into the tank neck could be removed and resealed, although I'm not positive about that. We have a couple of certified inspectors on our staff, but nobody is certified to do the tank work.

A new tank is out of the question at $6,300 (local dealer quote - I'm sure I could get one cheaper). Does anyone here know of a certified tank repair facility in Northern CA? The tank is good until 2013, so I'd like to get a couple more years out of this great little car.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Keith LaHaie
    Fleet Manager
    City of Palo Alto, CA

21 GX's - 1998's 1999's 2004's and 2007's

Re: GX Tank Repairs?

Your Honda dealer's GX certified technician should be able to repair the leak. Have they already diagnosed it and decided you need a new tank?
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

Yes, they apparently contacted the "Honda Tech Line" and recommended that the tank be replaced. Not knowing the construction of the tank itself, I find it hard to believe that it couldn't be repaired.

Comment

If the threads on the tank are damaged, then that's probably the wise choice. The tanks are not constructed so they can be repaired.
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

I have a tank salvaged from a Honda that had the same symptoms. I unscrewed the tank valve, made sure the gasket washer and threads were clean and undamaged. Put some natural gas rated sealant on the threads tightened the valve assembly and checked with a gas leak detection fluid, Problem solved.

Comment

I'm voting with the pipe compound solution. I don't think there is any cost effective way to repair a carbon fiber cocoon.

Comment

I would see if this is covered under emissions or tank Mfg. warranty. This is ether a problem with the manufacturing of the valve or the tank or the installation of the valve probably by the Mfg. The main sealing portion of the tank and valve is the o ring. If this is nicked or pinched it will leak.

Originally posted by cpafleet View Post
              Hi,

We have a 1998 GX which has developed a leak at the tank neck. Of course it's behind the shielding, so the leak is noticeable inside the vehicle. If it was on the other side of the shielding, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

It appears as though the nipple that threads into the tank neck could be removed and resealed, although I'm not positive about that. We have a couple of certified inspectors on our staff, but nobody is certified to do the tank work.

A new tank is out of the question at $6,300 (local dealer quote - I'm sure I could get one cheaper). Does anyone here know of a certified tank repair facility in Northern CA? The tank is good until 2013, so I'd like to get a couple more years out of this great little car.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Keith LaHaie
              Fleet Manager
              City of Palo Alto, CA

21 GX's - 1998's 1999's 2004's and 2007's

Comment

If the GX were 2001 or newer and in California, it would likely be covered under the California special 15/150k warranty. GXs before 2001 don't have this coverage. Although the tanks are certified for 15 years of use I doubt the manufacturer's warranty is that long. I don't think the Federal emissions warranty (8/80) would have covered this at all.

I agree with trying to reseal the fitting as long as the threads aren't damaged.
                Last edited by freedml; 04-24-2009, 01:16 PM.
                02 GX
                01 GX
                03 Crown Vic
                06 GX
                Home Fueler

Comment

Working...
                X