Honda Civic GX Coalescent Filters Change Procedure 2001 - 2005 Post 1 of 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Civic GX Coalescent Filters Change Procedure 2001 - 2005 Post 1 of 2

The Honda Civic GX has two coalescing filter elements. This is part one of a two part series that describes how to change the coalescent filters on the 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 Honda Civic GX. This post describes how to change the high pressure filter element # CLS-112-6 that is housed in the aluminum filter housing # FFC-112-SS-SAE. This filter and housing are both manufactured by the Racor division of Parker Hannifin. The Honda part number for the repackaged CLS112-6 filter, which includes o-rings, is 16905-S1G-003. The high pressure filter is located beneath the rear of the car under a black protective plastic shell (see picture). A cross section picture of the high pressure filter housing with element installed is attached to this post. For instructions on changing the low pressure coalescent filter element click here.

Disclaimers & Precautions: Working underneath vehicles is inherently dangerous and can result in serious injury and even death. Working with pressurized CNG is inherently dangerous and can result in serious injury and even death. Any and all of these procedures should be performed with the vehicle turned off and the keys removed from the ignition. In addition, follow any and all manufacture precautions specific to the vehicle on which you are performing work. Any work must take place on a flat level concrete surface in a well ventilated area away from open flames or ignition sources. Every appropriate precaution should be taken to safely secure the vehicle from moving. These precautions include, but are not limited to setting the emergency brake, placing an approved anti-rolling device on both sides of the all tires remaining on the ground. Never work under a vehicle that is suspended only by a jack. Use jack stands that are rated for the weight of the vehicle. Follow all manufacture instructions for any tools and equipment you use to complete this procedure. When working under a vehicle always wear safety glasses. If you do not understand these instructions, or feel unsure about working on cars do not perform this work yourself.

Proceedure

1. Turn off the emergency CNG shutoff valve located on the driver’s side of the vehicle just behind the rear tire.
    2. Depressurize the CNG lines by performing the following: With the emergency shutoff valve in the closed position, start the car and let idle, or accelerate the engine until the gas is used between the shut off valve and the engine. When this happens the engine will quit. This takes 2 min or less. If the car never runs out of gas and quits, repeat step 1. Verifying that the valve is completely closed. If after a second attempt the vehicle does not quit after a maximum of three minutes; take the vehicle to the Honda dealer to have the shut-off valve diagnosed or replaced. DO NOT attempt this procedure if you cannot depressurize the CNG system as described in steps 1. And 2.
    3. After the car quits, remove the key from the ignition and set the emergency brake.
    4. Secure the front tires so the car cannot roll forward or backward
    5. Use a jack to lift the rear end of the vehicle onto jack stands. Place the jack stands under the manufacture the approved jack locations on each side of the vehicle.
    6. Remove the five bolts and one plastic retaining screw holding the plastic protective cover and vehicle stabilizer bar (See picture).
    7. In a well ventilated area free from sparks and open flames, use an Allen wrench to loosen the drain plug at the bottom of the lower filter housing. Only loosen the drain plug one and a half to two rotations until you here the CNG gas escaping. Wait until no more gas can be heard escaping from the drain plug and the filter housing is completely depressurized. This should take no more than two minutes. Slowly remove the drain plug. Oil may immediately begin to drip from drain plug once it is loosened. Catch the oil in a cup if you are curious as to the amount.
    8. Loosen the lower filter housing counter clockwise by placing a crescent wrench on the flats at the bottom of the lower filter housing. Once loose, finish removing the filter housing by hand to reveal the high pressure coalescent filter element.
    9. Remove the old CLS-112-6 filter element by pulling straight down. Replace the old element with a new CLS-112-6 filter element.
    10. Remove the o-ring from inside the groove at the top of the lower filter housing. If no o-ring, check to make sure it is not stuck up inside of the upper filter housing. Use the edge of a clean rag or cue-tip to clean the groove where the o-ring was seated. Thoroughly clean the inside of the lower filter housing and threads. Do not leave any oil in the lower filter housing.
    11. Fully seat the new o-ring into the grove at the top of the lower filter housing. With the new filter in place, thread the lower filter housing onto the upper filter housing. Use the crescent wrench to firmly tighten the lower filter bowl.
    12. Replace the small o-ring at the base of the drain plug with the new o-ring included in the package. Thread the drain plug back into the bottom of the lower filter bowl. Use the Allen wrench to firmly tighten the drain plug.
    13. Replace the plastic protective cover and vehicle stabilizer bar.
    14. Return the vehicle to the ground.
    15. If you do not need to change the low pressure filter then turn on the emergency shut-off valve.

To purchase the CLS-112-6 filter element for the 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Honda Civic GX click here
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NGXV; 04-23-2009, 12:14 AM.

Re: Honda Civic GX Coalescent Filters Change Procedure 2001 - 2005 Post 1 of 2

Hi, does anyone know a mechanic in the southern california area that can do this for cheaper than a dealer?
    I don't know if I want to do this myself on my 2000 GX. Thanks
    2013 Chevy volt 2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Comment

How about a 2012??
      I plan on changing both high and low pressure filters myself.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwzimmer View Post
        How about a 2012??
        I plan on changing both high and low pressure filters myself.
        High pressure is easy on all years . Low pressure on 2006 and later is a total P.I.T.A. If you will be using public stations in so cal or a fuelmaker, fuel filter changes post warranty are a waste of money. I haven't come across a public station in so cal with compressor oil carryover in 6 or 7 years.

Comment

I posted a video I made on how to change 1998 1999 2000 Civic GX high pressure filter enjoy
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58iTxas1MRA
          2013 Chevy volt 2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
            High pressure is easy on all years . Low pressure on 2006 and later is a total P.I.T.A. If you will be using public stations in so cal or a fuelmaker, fuel filter changes post warranty are a waste of money. I haven't come across a public station in so cal with compressor oil carryover in 6 or 7 years.
            I had my low and high filters replaced at 90K miles.

Going forward I will lengthen change intervals (at least double change intervals).
            Sold GX

Comment

Working...
            X