Need to remove tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to remove tank

I need to remove a tank from an 04 Civic, is there a procedure to vent the tank and safely remove it?

Re: Need to remove tank

Yes there is. Due to the extreme pressures involved, this should be performed only by a certified cng mechanic. Pressure drain from the tank definitely requires specialized tools.

3600 psi can kill you if you don't know what you're doing and isn't something to be tackled unless you're trained to deal with it. Please refer this customer to a Honda dealer, or other certified shop.

Comment

allpro,

Curtis is right. There is a specific procedure and it can and should be done be a certified technician.

There are several methods available, but the best way to defuel any CNG cylnder is to simply empty it using the vehicle itself, viz., run the engine until it quits.

<<<Everyone Goes Home Safe>>>

afvman/Bill

Comment

You also need to be careful of the static build up during defueling. The tank should be grounded. A Certified CNG Mechanic should know this.
        Jared.
        Mountain Green, Utah
        2003 CNG Cavalier
        2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
          Yes there is. Due to the extreme pressures involved, this should be performed only by a certified cng mechanic. Pressure drain from the tank definitely requires specialized tools.

3600 psi can kill you if you don't know what you're doing and isn't something to be tackled unless you're trained to deal with it. Please refer this customer to a Honda dealer, or other certified shop.
          The procedure is in the Civic service manual and online at ALLDATA (for a fee). Certainly safety is paramount, however dealers make their profit on out of warranty service and not all of us can afford to pay for Honda's premiere service, keeping in mind their recent bone up the butt, by killing fuelmaker. Eitherway call the dealer with vin and check for service bulletins, something may be covered. By the way "running" it out of fuel is NOT the way to relieve the fuel tank pressure, there is always residual pressure in the tank. Follow procedures and may the force be with you or without, whichever you prefer.
          2009 GX
          2000 K2500
          2002 Cavalier
          1998 Contour
          Phill powered by solar power

Comment

Originally posted by CH-4 View Post
            The procedure is in the Civic service manual and online at ALLDATA (for a fee). Certainly safety is paramount, however dealers make their profit on out of warranty service and not all of us can afford to pay for Honda's premiere service, keeping in mind their recent bone up the butt, by killing fuelmaker. Eitherway call the dealer with vin and check for service bulletins, something may be covered. By the way "running" it out of fuel is NOT the way to relieve the fuel tank pressure, there is always residual pressure in the tank. Follow procedures and may the force be with you or without, whichever you prefer.
            I'll have to check that out. Let me clarify that I'm not taking the tank out myself, the car is in the shop and I've been told they want to remove the tank. So I'm just trying to make sure they don't do something stupid. Taking it to Honda is NOT an option.

Comment

Working...
            X