09 Transmission Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09 Transmission Problem

My 09 GX has a hesitation when downshifting to first gear when I slow down to around 8 to 10mph and then speed up. When it shifts down it makes a clunk sound. It has done that since it was new and I thought it would eventually break in, but it still does it. If you come to a complete stop it shifts fine.
    Anyone else had this problem?
    It also seems to shift in and out of overdrive a lot when you drive between 35and 45 mph. Is this normal?
    I have 7800 miles on the car now and I have owned it since it was new.

Re: 09 Transmission Problem

I think mine is doing the same thing. I have been trying to reproduce it, but havent figured out exactly what I am doing when it makes the noise. This may help me reproduce the sound. I am at 7940 miles and only started hearing it within the last 1500 miles or so.

Comment

Originally posted by kuykendallc View Post
      I think mine is doing the same thing. I have been trying to reproduce it, but havent figured out exactly what I am doing when it makes the noise. This may help me reproduce the sound. I am at 7940 miles and only started hearing it within the last 1500 miles or so.
      Yep Me too.. only at slow speeds.. and i believe it is the Variable speed transmission..
      If your below 12mph i just keep in in D3.. D4 on the highway.
      Silver 09 GX
      Phill G:1.5

Comment

this has always been a problem since my car was new... I now have 17k miles.... I hate it because I drive in stop and go traffic all the time and it always happens. I think it's just a honda transmission problem, I remembered my honda accord always used to do this everytime.

also to keep the transmission from shifting too much while driving 35-45... i usually keep my shifter on D3. I usually keep it on D3 on the streets and then D on the fwy's.

Comment

The problem with keeping it in D3 is it never shifts to 4th. gear and the rpm's are high and it will cut your fuel mileage. I wish they had a button to shift it in and out of overdrive like Toyota has on many of their cars. That is a great feature and it would help solve the constant shifting in and out of overdrive with the Honda when you are in traffic and you are moving right around the shifting point. I have also noticed the hard downshift even from 3rd to 2nd gear. When I drove the 08 Civic Gx demo at the dealer it didn't have any of this shifting problem or at least it didn't do it while I was driving.
          I called the dealer and he said to bring it in and they will look at it, but I doubt you will ever get them to replace the transmission.

Comment

The good thing about all the electronics in cars these days is many problems can be addressed with a software update. What once meant replacing a tranny might be as simple as changing the way it's programmed to operate.

I don't know that this is available, or applicable to this issue but I'll do some checking and see what I can find out.

Comment

I've noticed this too on my 2008 -- transmission seems to slip for a second or two after a right turn at low speed. Got about 7K miles on mine.

Comment

Has anyone with these problems taken their car to the dealer to see if they can find out what the problem is? I think that would help the rest of us when we go to the dealer as many of them probably would not even notice the problem or find what is causing it. If not, as soon as I get some time I will take mine by the dealer and see if they can find out what the problem is.
                It would be nice if was just a simple software update, but that sounds much too easy of a fix for me. I did call the service department two weeks ago and he said he did not recall anyone else having this problem. You might know I would get the one vehicle that has this problem as I am sure others would have noticed it too.

Comment

Still having problems. Finally took it to the dealer today. They called and said several mechanics drove the car and none of them could replicate what I told them it was doing. I told them I would come in tomorrow and take one of them along with me and show them how to replicate the noise. I doubt they will do anything. I have 32,000 miles on the vehicle and I would like to get it repaired before the warranty expires. It is actually getting worse so I don't know how a mechanic can not hear the problem. My wife and two sons both can hear and feel the problem. I will post the results. Anyone else who had this problem every get it fixed?

Comment

The dealer called and said that the hesitation and noise was normal. He said that is just how the Civic GX transmission works. I took him for a drive and showed him exactly
                    what it was doing and he said that was normal and all of them do it. That does not sound right to me, but he said there was nothing to be done. What do you say Curtis? Is that normal?
                    Have you been able to fix this problem with a software update? If so let me know and I will have this dealer contact you and get the update so he can fix my car. I feel it is a big problem. Sometimes there is a delay before the car will shift and I have almost been hit at an intersection before and just had to step on the gas to get out of the way. I have had many vehicles in my 40 years of driving and I have not had one do this before. If this is normal then Honda should provide a fix for the problem as I would not consider this normal.

Comment

Since you are talking transmissions, I thought I'd throw this out there -

My 2011 Gx is now about 2 months old, and I find when transitioning from reverse into drive after starting the car, I occasionally hear a slight crunching/grinding sound. I come to a complete stop before shifting, and note this only when the car is cold, and idles at higher RPMs. Will this 'break in'? OK for the transmission?

Thanks,

Comment

Contact American Honda's Customer Relations Department and file a claim or statement with the customer relations analyst who answers the phone. Go to the source, the Department that created to help resolve your technical issues.

The few dealers referred to in this thread do not seem to have contacted American Honda's Dealer Tech Line for assistance either.

The Company has two official channels to follow to resolve any questions. The transmission in the GX is shared with several 100,000 other Civic sedans each year so any problem experienced in the GX will also manifest itself in their gasoline powered kin.

This advice was received by me and is now passed to on you. If you don't have the Phone number for the Customer Service line referred to here, it can be found inside the cover of the Factory Warranty book you received at the time of purchase.

Comment

Working...
                        X