How many GX's were made in 1998?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many GX's were made in 1998?

Does anybody know roughly how many GX's were made in 1998? I believe this was the first year of production for the GX. I'd like to know because I want to know what are chances are of getting one of the tank builders to build all of us a tank since our tanks will be the first to be needing replacement (not counting the '94 Dodge and the '96 Crown Vic.) in 2013.

Thanks!
    1998 Honda GX
    ebike

Re: How many GX's were made in 1998?

I think around 1000.

Comment

Are you really going to spend thousands on a car that's worth less than that?
      02 GX
      01 GX
      03 Crown Vic
      06 GX
      Home Fueler

Comment

I think there are a couple of other questions that need to be ask, besides "how many were made" It is well worth considering.

How many miles have the powertrains been driven and how are they holding up? (I don't have a GX, but I have good handle vehicle mechanics)

How many miles will the engines go before the rings and lower ends need work? (heads arn't too bad to do), I heard, with good care and synthetic oil the engines should go 300K??? what is reality showing?

How many miles will the transmissions go before they need to be gone through? (Don't know krap about Honda transmissions except that they are different)

Does the suspension need work; struts, ball joint, springs etc (brakes and tires, I consider normal wear)

Of course how is body and interior? Are they good? worth fixing? junk? (Earl Schibe for $29.95 -- or is $129.95 by now??)

These costs (the above) have to be taken into consideration, in addition to dropping 2 to 3K into a new tank? when weighted against the cost and depreciation and reliability of a newer vehicle?

How much longer do you want to ride the faithful ol mule?

Just some points to chew on

Larrycng

P.S. the advantages of running CNG --- Priceless
        Last edited by larrycng; 04-01-2009, 04:12 PM. Reason: add comment

Comment

If I were to keep my 99 civic GX past the tank experation date, which now has 102k miles on it, Id put the spare tire in the back seat as there are only 2 people in the car at a time and get the biggest tank that would fit into the trunk. John

Comment

My son's 98 GX has a VIN ending in something like 384 - so they made at least that many.

Comment

Good evening everyone.

There were between 450 and 500 1998 Civic GXs built and wholesaled that first model year, the vast majority sold to fleet clients, of course.

Enjoy your car,

Eric

Comment

The GX VINS end in L000??? so accordingly upto 999 could be made
                sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
                SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
                2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
                1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
                2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

The GX vins actually end in L000XXX, but I've never seen one (of any year) use more than the last three digits. We've got one '98 on our site right now that ends in L000491.

Does anyone have one higher than that?
                  Last edited by Curtis; 04-05-2009, 04:01 PM.
                  www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

CNG Utah, please limit your advertising to the Marketplace forum.

Comment

Curtis, do have access to any documentation that could tell us how many GXs were made each year?
                      www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

I've tried to gather this information for the group in the past, but was unable to get the figures from Honda. I have no idea why this would be guarded information, or even if it is.

There is one among us who actually could provide this information. We'll have to wait and see if he responds to this thread... again. In the mean time, I'll start a thread here in the GX forum where members can post their vin #'s.

It will be interesting to see what the lowest and highest numbers are.

Comment

Originally posted by larrycng View Post
                          I think there are a couple of other questions that need to be ask, besides "how many were made" It is well worth considering.

How many miles have the powertrains been driven and how are they holding up? (I don't have a GX, but I have good handle vehicle mechanics)

How many miles will the engines go before the rings and lower ends need work? (heads arn't too bad to do), I heard, with good care and synthetic oil the engines should go 300K??? what is reality showing?

How many miles will the transmissions go before they need to be gone through? (Don't know krap about Honda transmissions except that they are different)

Does the suspension need work; struts, ball joint, springs etc (brakes and tires, I consider normal wear)

Of course how is body and interior? Are they good? worth fixing? junk? (Earl Schibe for $29.95 -- or is $129.95 by now??)

These costs (the above) have to be taken into consideration, in addition to dropping 2 to 3K into a new tank? when weighted against the cost and depreciation and reliability of a newer vehicle?

How much longer do you want to ride the faithful ol mule?

Just some points to chew on

Larrycng

P.S. the advantages of running CNG --- Priceless
                          As the prior owner of a 99 GX and 95 Civic EX I think I can answer some of these questions.

Basically all civics of this vintage are going to be extremely reliable if maintained properly. The engine should easily go over 300k in a GX if the timining belt/waterpump and oil is changed at the specified interval. One thing that seems to go out on the 1st gen GX is it's one and only pressure regulator (FPR), it seems to last about 150K miles give or take. This is an expensive part at $1800. My FPR was going out at 130k miles, sold it with the new owner knowing that it would need to be replaced soon.

The trans should be good for 200K+ with scheduled fluid changes, my 95 civic needed a new trans at 190k. My GX with 130k was still very tight, no suspension problems and all components were original. Same for the interior, very tight and quiet.

FYI my 95 EX was traded with 235k miles and even though it had a cracked headgasket due to a overheat when low on oil and coolant, it still ran very well.

All that said I love my 2000 Camry CNG and wouldn't trade it for 10 old GX's (ok maybe 10 when gas prices were $4 a gal).
                          -------------
                          moore101
                          2000 Toyota Camry CNG
                          FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

Working...
                          X