Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998-2000 GX Range?

Hi,

I just got a 1998 GX and I'd like to know what your ranges have been? I just ran out and had to be towed to Clean Energy Long Beach/Signal Hill with 189.5 miles. My last 1998 GX got me 220 miles before running out. Possibly, the station didn't give me a full 3600 psi, hence my asking.

Thank you all.
    1998 Honda GX
    ebike

Re: 1998-2000 GX Range?

My 99 will get around 180 with 20 or more miles on the light. But I drive it like I stole it because I want to get my moneys worth out of it before it becomes dispossable.
    Last edited by Johnlaroux; 04-01-2009, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnlaroux View Post
      My 99 will get around 180 with 20 or more miles on the light. But I drive it like I stole it because I want to get my moneys worth out of it before it becomes dispossable.
      Why does everybody keep saying the older GX's are "disposable?" You're the second person to say that. Because in 4 years, after the tank expires, they go bad?

I'm sure since the GX is the most widely made CNG vehicle in America, Lincoln Composites will make a tank ready for us (I estimate there are over 100,000 of us) when that time comes, at a price of probably $2,000 per tank. That's a $2,000,000 order for Lincoln Composites. I doubt they will pass up the opportunity. Plus, the new tanks should have a life of 20 years. Remember, if a Ford Crown Vic CNG can go 500,000 miles, a Honda GX can go a million.
      1998 Honda GX
      ebike

Comment

You should be able to use the tanks in the old civics. You just need to get them inspected often. There should be no damage or defects because the tanks are inside the car protected from the elements.

Comment

While I agree that there isn't such a thing as a disposable Honda, there were probably 300-400 units per year built for fleet use in the early days of the GX. If there isn't a tank being built now that's a direct replacement for the OEM... you're going to have a tough time getting them put back into production.

I wonder if the tank itself has remained the same across the years of production, and is the PRD a factor? Can it just be transferred to a new tank? Does Lincoln Composites sell single tanks to the public?

If they don't, perhaps an order of a dozen would fetch a better price and serve 12 group members when their tanks become outdated.

Comment

I understand that the car itself would go well over 2 or 3 hundred thousand miles, its just that with a 15 year old car and a new honda tank installed would be at least $5000 dollars. Im going to opt for a new honda rather then invest that much money.

I bet all the hybrids out there are even a worse situation. After the 8 year warranty is over on the batteries that are what? $8000 and probably would die around 10 years. I think I like CNG better. John

Comment

I just got a '99 and my early observations are that 150 mostly highway miles after a fill up the gauge is right at the halfway point. But after that, the gauge starts dropping a lot faster.

Comment

Working...
              X