2000 gx stall repaired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 gx stall repaired

My 2000 gx with 120k miles stalled last weekend. It cranked but the engine would not start. I towed it to the dealer. They had a hard time figuring out why so they got a master NGV technician to come to investigate the problem. They found sparks but not strong enough. They saw burn on the spark plug wires. They finally replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor and coil to fix it. Parts were around $330, labor was about $320. I think the labor was too expensive, since they are not hard or time consuming to replace. Luckily they didn't have to replace a super expensive part but I already feel the "NGV repair ouch".

In addition, I asked for a gas tank inspection, the dealer wants $200 labor. But since there is a Honda recall to install a thermal insulator on the gas tank, they said they can do for $150 if I also do the recall. Is this reasonable?

Then I asked to replace the high pressure filter element at the back. They want $200 labor + $60 parts. Does that sound right? I plan to do it next week.

Re: 2000 gx stall repaired

Anything under $1000 doesn't qualify as a NGV ouch

Personally, I would try another shop. Both the inspection add-on and the filter change should be 1 hour labor jobs.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by gxuser View Post
      Then I asked to replace the high pressure filter element at the back. They want $200 labor + $60 parts. Does that sound right? I plan to do it next week.
      Replacing the high pressure filter is not a big job, especially for a shop with a hoist. If you are handy at all, you might want to get the GX shop manual and do it yourself. Look at the "Helpful Links" in the right margin of the web page you are now looking at to find the manual, or find one on eBay. Once you get the car up safely on jack stands, it should be about a 15 minute operation. Get the manual though, so you know how to safely depressurize the system and properly replace the filter.

Comment

This is for 2001-2002 but I think it's the same. Put the rear end on jack stands. Close the CNG manual shutoff valve. Run the engine until it dies. Open the housing (slowly). Replace the element. Close the housing. Open the CNG valve. Start the engine. Check for leaks. Mine was clean and dry after 100k miles, but I mostly use an oilless compressor on utility gas at home.
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

Working...
        X