Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GX Fuel Economy- fueleconomy.gov

Please sign up and post your info.!!!>>>>

As a long time GX driver (6years)and advocate for CNG and Electric Vehicles, I was looking at
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
    and noticed that there were very few listings for the Civic GX.
    (lower left-'your MPG')
    I also will be needing to replace 2 of my wife's vehicles and, am looking into the Honda Insight and Civic Hybrids and the Toyota Prius, also.

While I realize that there are many who drive GX's in fleets and Public Agencies that couldn't care less about mileage, there are many many folks who do care and almost everyone here is in the latter category, so,
    I signed in and posted my mileage for my 2008 GX. It took a few days to get it included, but it was done.
    It is clear to me that the mileage numbers that the EPA has calculated for the GX are unreasonably LOW, and you'd probably need to be an 'on/off' switch type of aggressive driver to get as low of numbers as the EPA comes up with.
    Please take a look and post.
    ---------------------------------------
    I rented 3 different Prius vehicles for a week each last year. (2 in FL and 1 in CO). I found the vehicle nice, but not nearly as stable as the 2008 GX on the freeway, and not at HOV lane speeds. I did like the space in the back.
    Looking at the mileage numbers that people obtained on http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
    for the Prius and the Honda Civic Hybrids, I saw a clear difference-
    If you look at Prius, users get LESS than certified EPA Fuel Economy. If you look at Civic Hybrid, users get MORE than certified EPA Fuel Economy.
    Maybe since the EPA has revised it's numbers lower, it has gone overboard...................finding this difference has definitely changed my view of the Honda Hybrid in comparison to the Prius.. Upward. Substantially.
    So,
    I strongly encourage those on this list to sign up and post their mileage if you see fit. We really need to encourage folks to drive CNG vehicles, and not depend on inaccurate and lower than realistic EPA numbers that to me, don't paint the real picture, and IMHO, discourage CNG use.
    Aloha,
    Jeff

Re: GX Fuel Economy- fueleconomy.gov

I have a real problem with calculating the fuel economy of the GX (and for that matter, any CNG vehicle) for a couple of reasons. I primarily fuel from my own fuelmakers so have only a rough idea of how much NG was added to the vehicle based on running time of the unit. Even if you fuel at a public station, knowing the quanity of fuel used between fillups is difficult because of the variables in fill pressure and tank/ambient tempertures. I have a scangauge II which, I think, gives me a pretty accurate assessment of what the GX is actually doing. I would agree that it easily beats the EPA numbers (although some others on this site feel their cars do not). It would be nice if Honda could give us a readout on average mpg for planning and bragging purposes . I have a Rav4 EV and if you think it is hard to figure out milage on a GX-------

Comment

Hi Jeff,
      I posted my MPG on he site and they don't show he 09's? i wonder if the site needs to refresh. Regardless my MPG, wether you calculate through
      Bars or miles per fill-up @ same location @ same PSI
      I'm getting 42.16 (5 months Data) Much more than the Avg they calculate!
      Thanks,
      L
      Silver 09 GX
      Phill G:1.5

Comment

I believe the 09 GX rates at 24/36 mpg. I have got around 42.5 mpg on a few commutes with about 15% city driving. These were all driving under 70 mph before I got my clean air decals. My pure city drivng seems to come close to 30 mpg. I have not been commuting lately as I am still on a medical leave from my work, but will be interested to see what my faster HOV commuting mileage will be. I was getting 36 mpg in my 99 GX on those commutes. My 09 data is in the files section, I will update the last few fillups soon, my overall mileage will go down to mostly city driving. My overall MPG is still better than 36!
        BLUE 09 GX

Comment

My '07 is in the fueleconomy.gov database.

I love it when someone with a car makes one entry, and a real doosey at that, then never stops back at the website. (like an '07 Prius in Indiana that averaged 74.5 mpg)

Bill

Comment

CNG to MPG is tough with a fuelmaker being your main source, I installled a separate gas and elect meter for the fuelmaker, what I do know is that my fuel costs me 4.7 cents per mile average.

Comment

L,
              Very cool!
              I'm glad everyone is doing well with their mileage. I feel we need this data in there, as I've read some kind of derogatory numbers, and they aren't based on facts. I'm very satisfied with my mileage.
              Aloha,
              Jeff

Comment

I just posted my numbers there. I have an '08 and I do about 80% highway and got 38.2 mpg using data from 22 fill-ups.

On one trip from SLC to St. George I got 43.8 mpg.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Rather than double posting, there's mpg data from my 08 GX elsewhere on this forum (just search for my user name).

I've done just over 20k miles since getting the car in May 08, average mpg based simply on miles and GGE (uncertain at best) is 35 (range 27-41).

This is mainly highway driving at about 84/day.

Regards
                  Andy

Comment

I've had my 08 for a year and 37,000 miles. I don't have the slightest idea what the average fuel economy is. I DO know that when gas was $4 a gallon it was costing me $300 a month less to fuel than my 4-cylinder Accord. When gas bottomed out at about $1.25 I was essentially breaking even.

Who cares? It's real cheap. (In Utah, anyway.)

Comment

Working...
                    X