Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your mileage on the GX once your fuel light comes on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your mileage on the GX once your fuel light comes on?

Alright -- looking for a nice, clean list of your GX mileage experiences once that dreaded fuel light comes on. Please don't tell everyone about the time you drove 5 miles then filled up, or if you've never seen your fuel light, or if you have some crazy-modified system. This forum is for listing those instances where you pushed the limits in your standard Civic GX ... perhaps we can begin to discover how much is really in there!

If you'd please ... try to follow the following example (from my experience today - if you have additional ideas - shoot me a PM):

Model Year - 2006
    Mileage from light-on to fill-up - 23.6 miles
    Conditions - 50 degrees, raining, windy, light hills, 0 traffic
    Driving speed - 55-60 mph clear and steady; 90% highway
    GGE at fill - 6.469 @ 3600psi (good fill)
    Last edited by epnfrn; 02-16-2009, 10:00 PM.

Re: Your mileage on the GX once your fuel light comes on?

My experience with my 2001 and 2002 -- 30 mostly highway miles is safe after the light goes on. Runs out completely at about 33 miles.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

Hope this is not too weird for your forum...I do not have GGE's

Light on at 3 bars
      Drove 15 miles/ 2 bars left
      Pressure in tank when fill started 500 psi
      32 degrees F-Hwy driving

With 500 psi I should of had 30 miles left...

Comment

Sorry, I can't add my experience.

But, I would really like to know how many GGE fill from completly empty. It might help me program my Scan Guage a little better.

Comment

That is one thing I'm hoping to dissect. My sense is that people still can't get more than ~7GGE from empty. Stay tuned.

epi

Comment

I set my Scanguage at 7 gallons using quick fill. 7.2 seems to be the max before lights out. With slow fill it is close to the 8 gal point. My light comes on at 2-3 bars at 750lbs left. If you use quick fill and let the tanK cool down over night you can put another .5 to 1.2 gges in.

Linda 09 GX

Comment

I have gone 65 miles with the light on, but I have found the light to not be that reliable. Sometimes it 4 bars, sometimes its 1. I constantly go 20 miles with no bars. I drive the speed limit.

How much fuel goes into the tank is only relevant to that tank, not the previous one. There are too many variables effecting fillups to use that method to measure previous usage, or gas still in the tank.

I have my scangauge set to 7 gallons, -14.9% bias, and 14 cut-off.

Comment

There's just no practical way for the average driver to accurately calculate mileage on NGVs.
                02 GX
                01 GX
                03 Crown Vic
                06 GX
                Home Fueler

Comment

perhaps - but the goal i was shooting for with this thread was to get a solid feel for how far you can make it once that light goes on. if enough people chime in, we might be able to get a better feel for it. my point for including data re: temp / speed / type of road was to allow people to understand someone's actual range with more texture so they could then judge their own situation (should it arise). so if someone was able to go 40 miles, but it was all highway, warm, and downhill behind a semi ... others can take away from that their experience will likely be much less - and not just assume they'll be able to go 40 too.

there will always be the odd case where someone's light comes on indiscriminately (Raul) or other circumstance. if enough people log on with their experiences (and those types of details) then we'll be able to better understand real-world light to empty range.

i'm a scientist ... keep that data coming folks!

epi

Comment

'08 GX with 8k on it.
                    I often drive with the fuel light on and no bars lit. The furthest I've gone before filling has been 13 miles (7 highway and 6 on city streets). I haven't gotten to empty yet, and I don't want to get to empty, either!

Comment

13 miles with 0 bars?

Comment

At the other end of the spectrum - How far has anyone gone with all the bars lit, and what kind of fill? So far I have seen all my bars lit up for maybe 1/10 of a mile. Even with my regular 3700-3800psi fills I lose 2 bars after about 5 miles. I haven't topped off on my 09 yet.
                        BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Originally posted by epnfrn View Post
                          13 miles with 0 bars?
                          No guts, no glory!

Comment

get your own thread johnny

i'm usually +5 mi before first bar gone. usually about 60 miles at the point when the bars first drop below the 3000psi full mark. 230-280 miles at 0-1 bar left.

Comment

For my 2006 Civic GX:

On the spectrum of "all fuel lights gone", I've driven a max of 7 miles with no bars of gas being lit up. Put in about 6.6 GGE after that. And I was sweating the entire time until I got to the station.

On the spectrum of "how far have you gone without losing the top bar? My record is at the South Lake Tahoe Airport CNG station, where I drove 23 miles after filing up before losing the very top bar. I had 3 bars of gas left when I made that quick fill in South Lake Tahoe, it was 19 degrees outside and snowing heavily. The station is at 6,200 feet in elevation.

Normally, though, I lose the top bar within 0.5 to 1.2 miles depending on where i fill up. I almost always lose the top bar at 0.7 miles when I fill up in Long Beach. This is starting with 2-3 bars of gas left when I fill up. And about 1/4 of the time I never even see the top bar light up after a quick fill.

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X