GX Tank Inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GX Tank Inspection

Just left my GX (2007) at the dealer for service and my service indicator shows only B1, while I passed the 36000 miles.
    I asked the service advisor about the tank inspection and it was noted on my sign-in sheet. Now he called me and verbally said the technician said the tank looks OK.
    Is that all there is to the inspection?
    Do I need a certificate?

On another thread (yahoo feed) on that forum it lists a file entitled 2006
    Honda Civic GX Service Levels.doc
    And You can access this file at the URL:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/civicg...e%20Levels.doc

But I'm not a member of that group, anyone has this doc and could post it in this forum?

Re: GX Tank Inspection

OhMyGas,

Yes you should have gotten a copy of the inspection report that would have listed :
    • Make, Model, Year
    • VIN#
    • Date and Mileage
    • Cylinder Mfg, Serial#, Location
    • Serial# of the new inspection sticker that should be on your tank.
    • Inspector's Signature and Certificate#
    What did you get for your money? Even more importantly, what proof did you get for your piece of mind?

BTW, Honda service levels don't matter. Every 3 years or 36,000 miles, no matter what!
    Last edited by cnghal; 02-13-2009, 02:18 PM.
    Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

There should have been a "pass" label placed on the tank if the inspector was certified by CSA America. Or there should be stamp on one of the little boxes on the clylinder label indicating that the inspector was certified by Lincoln composits to do cylinder inspections along with an inspection report as Hal indicated.

Check them boys out

Larrycng

Comment

OhMyGas,

Hal is right, there is a very rigorous CNG cylinder inspection required by a 'certified' cylinder inspector. Doesn't sound like the dealer has a clue. Although in their defense, the Honda cylinder package is probably one of the best engineered systems you'll ever see.

Here's a link to search for a certified inspector in your area:
        http://webext.csa.ca/cng/cngmain.asp

Good luck and don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions.

B/R,

afvman/Bill
        Last edited by afvman; 02-13-2009, 03:04 PM. Reason: change notification

Comment

I will post it in this (GX) forum as a sticky thread for ease of locating it.

Comment

The technician's verbal "OK" would be more than enough for me...
            02 GX
            01 GX
            03 Crown Vic
            06 GX
            Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
              The technician's verbal "OK" would be more than enough for me...
              Interesting, an untrained, uncertified, self-serving "technician's verbal OK" is probably why Utah has 4,000 illegal and/or unsafe conversions.
              Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

A HONDA CIVIC GX that hasn't been in a serious accident is not illegal OR unsafe OR a conversion.
                02 GX
                01 GX
                03 Crown Vic
                06 GX
                Home Fueler

Comment

Tank Inspection-Rules and Regs

Here is a copy of the regulation surrounding tank inspections.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Re: Tank Inspection-Rules and Regs

The Honda dealer from whom I bought my GX is a certified GX dealer (couldn't have sold one otherwise).
                    I as a consumer rely on the recommendations from their service department. And I specifically asked about the inspection I even mentioned that there is a law mandating the inspection.
                    On my service-sheet they noted:
                    "Maintenance Minder:
                    Check if tank needs inspection or any other service due for NGV vehicles.
                    Checked and vehicle does not need any inspection at this time"
                    At that time I had 36036 miles on my GX.

Comment

Re: Tank Inspection-Rules and Regs

You can refer to the document I attached to my prior post to be clear on these requirements. Print it out and present it to your dealers service director if there is any confusion on their part. Perhaps Eric Rosenberg can elaborate on the dealers process for inspections.

Comment

OhMyGas et al,

Can't we all get alone here?

I think both points of view are correct. A Honda Civic GX that hasn't been involved in an accident is probably perfectly alright, and yes, it should still be inspected.

Curtis' document, which I assume is directly out of the Honda Service Manual, is pretty clear on the frequency and qualifications of the inspector.

Yes, the owner is responsible for seeing that the cylinder is inspected, which you tried to do, but no, the dealer techs' verbal OK is not enough. Here's your chance to educate him...or have him call me!

Good luck and I applaud your perseverance.

B/R,

afvman/Bill (740) 205-2107

Comment

The document I posted was not from Honda. I believe it was CSA but I don't recall exactly. I asked Eric from Honda Alt Fuels to give the definitive process for Honda Techs to follow. He is doing a bit of research to get it right and will post the info possibly as soon as Monday.

Comment

I would really like to know how Honda Techs approach this for their customers, in my case they basically did not know anything about the inspection.
                            I'm all for keeping the cars safe.

Comment

OhMyGas et al,

It's my understanding that Honda is in the process of developing their own CNG cylinder inspection certification and is encouraging techincians to also become CSA certified, but...

They're not there yet and your dealer may or may not be qualified. Again, the GX cylinder assembly is, without a doubt, one of the most robust you'll ever see and all is probably OK, but...

I'd still 'want it in writing' and suggest the nearest certified inspector check them (see http://csa-america.org/personnel_cer...certification/)

If all else fails and you want to contact Honda directly, call Doug Reed, Sr. Training Center Coordinator, Technical Training Operations (310) 781.4026.

B/R,

afvman/Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X