3750 mile maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3750 mile maintenance

I just received an email from the dealer that I bought my 09 GX from and it said I may be ready for a 3750 mile service maintenance. I checked online for anything regarding this before I posted, but could not find anything. What is this maintenance service for?

Re: 3750 mile maintenance

The first service is an oil change. Anything else is to see if you have spare money in your wallet .

Ques ? The oil life indicator . how does it read at this time ?. Honda suggests service when it indicates 15% .

Comment

It is at 40% and I am at 4700+ miles. I figured they were just trying to get in my pockets. I will just follow the minder.

Comment

Once upon a time the services were set at a manufacturer recommended 7500 miles. Under severe conditions the schedule was cut down to 3750 mi. This plays to a lot of old school mentalities that you should change oil at 3000 mi.

Just go with your maintenance minder. There is break in oil from the factory and washing it out before the engine is completely broken in will only slow down the process. As your rings seat, your compression, power and gas mileage also get better.

Oil changes at less than 0 (zero) on your maintenance minder on a GX is a waste of money because you don't have carbon fouling of the oil like in gasoline vehicles. At 10,000 mi take a look at your oil. Probably slightly off color at the worst.

If you do mostly freeway driving... it may go beyond 10k before the minder zeros out. The only thing I'll add is that you still need to check oil levels regularly, and after the break in you can change the oil as often as you're comfortable with, but no less than recommended by the minder system.

Comment

What is required to not void the warranty? Is using the indicator sufficient?

Comment

Never exceed the specs in the owners manual. Read the part about what qualifies for severe duty. Follow which ever part applies to you. Be VERY suspicious about any brake/trans/steering/coolant flushes that are not specified in the manual.

My opinion is if a dealer asks you to do maintenance that is not specified in the manual and not caused by abuse or other severe conditions, You could say "that should be a defect covered under warranty right?" or just politely decline.

Comment

Klaus, Karl is right. As long as you comply with the specifications of the manufacturers recommended services, they can't deny warranty work on that basis. Determine whether you fall into the "severe" driving conditions by reading the description in the Mainenance Minder section of the owners manual. If you wonder if it's time to change tohe oil, take a look at it. If it still looks like new... decide for yourself.

Comment

Some dealer service departments have their own 'recommended maintenance' packages which, surprise, have things that aren't in the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule. So, I learned to ask for the XX,000 MANUFACTURER'S service, not just the XX,000 service.

They can only deny warranty coverage if the maintenance you didn't do causes the problem.

Michael
                02 GX
                01 GX
                03 Crown Vic
                06 GX
                Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by kuykendallc View Post
                  I just received an email from the dealer that I bought my 09 GX from and it said I may be ready for a 3750 mile service maintenance. I checked online for anything regarding this before I posted, but could not find anything. What is this maintenance service for?
                  First oil change is probably better performed at 3750 miles or so, just for the fact that new engine has metal shavings in the oil from the engine being new. The rest of the machining remains and small amount of break in metal flakes should come out with first oil change.

After that, change oil according to owner's manual.

Comment

i just did my "A1" service for the first time. My 09 has approx 9400 miles. I primarily drive freeway miles.

Since changing my oil (from the original fluid that the car came with), i have noticed a significant increase in mileage. I do not have any empirical numbers to share yet, but those fuel gauge blocks are defiantly staying lit longer.

Now i love my GX even more...if that is possible.

Ken.

Comment

Thanks for the update, Ken. I've never really quantified the percentage of increase in mileage after the break in period. If you get any kind of date on the improvement we'd love to hear it.

Comment

Hi, I ran the numbers and found that the mileage with regards to my driving conditions have gone up after the oil change.

From purchase, over a period 6 months, I have seen a steady mean increase of 3 mpg. After the oil change I bumped it another MPG.

I'm at 43mpg : 90% highway.
                        Silver 09 GX
                        Phill G:1.5

Comment

Fuel mileage in NGVs are relative. If you fill your tank to 3600psi on a warm day (gauge reads full) drive X miles and refuel to 4500psi (gauge reads full) and calculate your miles per GGE it's going to be high. The only way to calculate actual mileage is to add up your GGE totals over 1 month and then use the total mile driven to get a close to average MPGGE. I actually calculated on a one time fill with my pick-up at 30MPGGE, how absurd is that? It happened when I filled up at a 3300psi pump during a warm day, then then filled up using my phill during the night. Our '09 GX averages just over 30MPGGE combined.
                          2009 GX
                          2000 K2500
                          2002 Cavalier
                          1998 Contour
                          Phill powered by solar power

Comment

So far I think the mileage bump is a myth. I only fill at home, have separate gas and elec meters on my FMQ and my cost per mile has not changed since day one.

99 GX.....8142 miles average fuel cost per mile 4.9 cents

Last weeks fuel costs 4.9 cents per mile

Still............Not complaining about the price

Comment

Make that a 09 GX

Comment

Working...
                              X