Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible problem with my gauge

Good morning

I have a 2008 Honda GX with less than 7000 miles, and have a question.

I just filled it with my phill, and it is showing a little over 3/4 full, and I have double checked that the gas fill cap is on and the gas fill door on the side is completely shut (did it twice).

Opened and closed it tightly twice.

But after starting it, and driving it, the complete gas meter on the dash is flashing on and off.

It shows the correct amount of gas but continues to flash. (not the low gas light) but the whole gas area is flashing.

Can you please advise on what might be causing this?

Thank you
    Last edited by SimiValley; 01-16-2009, 09:46 AM. Reason: missing

Re: Possible problem with my gauge

According to the manual the flashing guage is the fuel door not closed, could there be something obstructing the door ??

Comment

I read that so I tried opening and closing it, and it closes properly and tight.

I guess the micro switch detection part for that door might be bad, but didnt drive it in case there was another problem.

Wanted to inquire with this thread to see if there was anything else to look at.

Comment

Mine is doing the same thing, it's intermittent. I haven't had a chance to look at it other than pushing the switch in and out a few times.
        BLUE 09 GX

Comment

This is the first time I have seen this issue in some time. When we started receiving the '07's we had a batch that had this issue. You can actually go in behind the trunk liner to the filler and unplug the little wire to the switch and get it to quit, however unless it's driving you mad, it's a warranty item. Take it to the dealer at your earliest opportunity. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Comment

Re: Possible problem with flashing gas gauge

I bought an '09 GX last night, test drove it then drove it off the lot and stopped for dinner. When I got back in the car after dinner, the entire gas gauge flashed for about 5 minutes as I drove home (the gas tank was full). This morning it flashed for 20 minutes straight on my way to the dealer to get him to fix my Report of Sale. I did stop halfway there to make sure the gas cap was securely on and the fuel door was closed. I showed the salesperson and he said he'd never seen the issue. When I drove home (after being told I'd have to come back b/c the finance guy had my paperwork locked in his desk and no one else had the key), it stopped flashing.

Curtis, you said this is a warranty issue. Could you please you tell me what the part or error code is so I can explain it to the service department when I bring it in for repair?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Re: Possible problem with flashing gas gauge

I haven't seen that in a while. 2006 had a series of cars that had the flashing gas guage issue. It was related to that little switch inside the gas door that tells the car the gas door is closed. It is warranty, but there is no bulletin on it. Just have the dealer fix the issue for you.

Comment

Mine was one of the '07's Curtis was talking about. The dealer changed the switch and it'll still do it every now and then after fueling up. All I do is open and close the door again and it stops flashing.

I read through the owners manual for a different problem I had at the time. The manual says that if your gauge shows zero, (when you know you have fuel in the tank,) and is flashing get it into the dealer right away because that indicates a problem in the fuel system.

Bill

Comment

My gauge flashes a lot, the problem went away but has returned. I close the fuel door hard and it is fine, but the next day it will flash again. It is a warranty issue I will get resolved.
                  BLUE 09 GX

Comment

I finally got a chance to look at the switch on my GX. It's just a plain, ordinary push button switch similar to what you would see for a dome light switch on the door post of an older car. You can easily see the switch by opening the fuel filler door and looking (with the help of a flashlight if not outdoors) at the black plastic piece just behind where the door hinge is located. With the key on, you can hold the switch in with your finger and see if the switch is bad or just needs an adjustment. If you push the switch in and the gauge stops flashing, everything is OK with the switch. As there is no adjustment on the switch (make sure both clips that hold it in are seated) the only way to fix it is to bend a small strip of metal (stainless would be nice) and glue it to the fuel door hinge. It would most likely take somthing less then .050" thick to fix the problem .

Comment

Working...
                    X