No announcement yet.

I changed the civic's headlight bulb :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I changed the civic's headlight bulb :)

My previous car had an HID system and it was awesome.

When I got the civic, the lights weren't as bright as the HIDs on my other car. I do a lot of night driving so I really need brighter lights I did a lot of searching online and it seems like HIDs were the only way to go to get better lights until I found these bulbs called HIR bulbs.

http://www.finemotoring.com/

They're 75% as bright as HIDs but 25% of the cost They're mainly for tractor application, but they can bet fitted into the 9005/9006 bulb application with minor/simple modifications.

I decided to try them out and WOW my lights are so bright. I just wanted to share that with my fellow GXers.

BTW if you're looking for one, go on ebay. I got them at $30 a pop.
    Last edited by futuregx; 01-09-2009, 04:59 PM.

Re: I changed the civic's headlight bulb

Are they legal? Which bulbs did you replace? I noticed on my car the daytime running lamps are the same bulbs as the high beams, and the low beams are a separate pair of bulbs.
    BLUE 09 GX

Comment

I would only caution that some of these high intinsity, or even colored lights, may be illegal in different areas of the country. A call to the Calif Hwy Patrol, or your applicable enforcement agengy might be wise prior to installation/purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by jetboatjohnny View Post
        Are they legal? Which bulbs did you replace? I noticed on my car the daytime running lamps are the same bulbs as the high beams, and the low beams are a separate pair of bulbs.
        Yes they are legal. I replace the low beam which is the 9006. And yeah the DRL on our car uses the high-beams which is the 9005.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
          I would only caution that some of these high intinsity, or even colored lights, may be illegal in different areas of the country. A call to the Calif Hwy Patrol, or your applicable enforcement agengy might be wise prior to installation/purchase.
          They are the same colored bulbs and same wattage as the stock ones. It's just the technology that's different which makes them output more lumens.

Comment

It's the lumens that are the problem, not the wattage. There are limits on the amount of light than can be emitted to oncoming driver's eye-height. This is why headlights are required to be properly aimed. This is also why most HID headlight systems include auto-leveling systems, and very tight tolerances on beam spread.

It would be wiser to use the brighter lights as replacements for your high-beams, so they can be cut off when other traffic is around. High beams, because they are not all-time, and because they are supposed to be turned off when oncoming traffic is within 500 feet, and when following another vehicle within 300 feet, are allowed to be brighter than the normal headlight rules.

California has no specific candlepower limitation, but the low beams must not strike the eyes of oncoming traffic. Federal law DOES have some requirements on maximum candlepower.
            1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
            2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

There's a lot of people in prison for this. They are usually housed next to the worst criminals, the folks that tear the tags off of their mattresses.

Comment

Originally posted by futuregx View Post
                My previous car had an HID system and it was awesome.

When I got the civic, the lights weren't as bright as the HIDs on my other car. I do a lot of night driving so I really need brighter lights I did a lot of searching online and it seems like HIDs were the only way to go to get better lights until I found these bulbs called HIR bulbs.

http://www.finemotoring.com/

They're 75% as bright as HIDs but 25% of the cost They're mainly for tractor application, but they can bet fitted into the 9005/9006 bulb application with minor/simple modifications.

I decided to try them out and WOW my lights are so bright. I just wanted to share that with my fellow GXers.

BTW if you're looking for one, go on ebay. I got them at $30 a pop.

Can you explain the modifications you had to make?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBundo View Post
                  Can you explain the modifications you had to make?
                  Here's some info:
                  NOTE: It just seems to be the tab. One person suggests taking off the O-ring and using dykes to nip off enough to fit. Others use Dremel tools.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...hir-bulbs.html
                  http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/light...hir-bulbs.html

Looks like the days of John Deere being cheap may be over.
                  This is the part number: AH211917. Only the low beam is available from JD.
                  CH

Comment

Working...
                  X