Steering wheel/air bag cover cracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel/air bag cover cracking

Has anybody else experienced the steering wheel air bag cover cracking? Mine is starting to crease in a "T" were the relief cuts are for the air bag to come out of the steering wheel. It is right below the "H" Honda emblem. Maybe to much hitting of the horn! There doesn't seem to be any recalls on it, and want it taken care of before I drive past my warranty. But I hope that replacing it won't screw up the air bag.

Thanks. Tyler

'06 Civic GX (purchased May of '07)
    33,000 miles

Re: Steering wheel/air bag cover cracking

I have almost as many miles on a 2008, no problems so far. Then again, I almost never toot the horn, maybe once every 5,000 miles

Comment

I suspect that it would be covered under your 3/36 comprehensive warranty. I haven't seen this particular problem on any of the new generation Honda's, or older models for that matter.

Comment

I mis-spoke Curtis. I have 39k on my car. But the dealer always says "You will owe..." without looking at what warranty I have. I will save that for the "rate your dealer" topic.

As far as the airbag, Honda is going to replace the airbag assembly. The dealer wanted to make sure Honda Care would cover labor also before going with Honda Care, so she quoted me a price on the labor too.

I just hope that the airbag assembly should be a somewhat simple plug in. I don't want to have to worry about my airbag not working.

Comment

Well here is the latest. I have been getting the run around it seems like. The dealer called last week saying that Honda Care would not cover the steering wheel airbag. It was a cosmetic issue and they would not cover it. I explained my concerns with the service rep and she was going to explain it to the Service Manager. I took the car to the dealer today and showed the Serv. Mng. the problem. He is going to authorize the claim and order the parts today. Thumbs up for the Serv. Mng. who is going to take care of my concerns.

Tyler

Comment

Working...
          X