Anyone use a K&N filter on their 07?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use a K&N filter on their 07?

I need to change my air filter, not sure if the K&N's are just snake oil? Anyone have any pro and cons on using these types of filters?

Not sure if the oils on the filters would clog up the air flow sensors, anyone heard of these issues with these filters. I heard them happen on Land Rovers so I stayed away from it for my trucks. Any Honda service techs with any inputs?

Anyone have the part numbers for it as well?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Anyone use a K&N filter on their 07?

I put a K&N on my '99 and noticed a big difference in performance. I also have them on my personal watercraft. I will put one on my new Civic when it is time to replace the stock filter. The filters turn out to be economical because they claim to last a million miles, they do need to be cleaned with soap and water and then coated with oil, the cleaning kit is available and fairly inexpensive considering the life of the filter. you can go online and get the part number, or just go to Pep Boys and get one for around 40 bucks.
    BLUE 09 GX

Comment

I've had a K&N air filter on my '05 GX for about six months. I don't notice any appreciable change in fuel mileage (which is hard to measure anyway, given the different pressures for each fill) or power, but also no problems, and expect it to be cheaper in the long run.

Joe Kresse

Comment

I have not been a fan of K & N having owned one. Yes if they are oiled they can foul the mass air flow sensor (MAF) reducing the amount of air seen by the computer causing the system to run lean.

Talking to some Ford techs, they said that if they find a K & N in a diesel, the warrante will be voided, this was about 3 years ago.

For what it is worth.

Larrycng

Comment

I've research this quite heavily in my work with high performance diesels, and it is my belief that K&N filters are indeed SNAKE OIL. Many of the dyno tests are flawed and give a slight HP advantage to the K&N's (and these tests are done on TV shows that K&N supports with ad and promo $$$). The biggest flaw that comes to mind is where, after a stock baseline dyno, the air box and snorkel are then removed, a K&N installed, and they do a 2nd dyno. But NOTICE, the HOOD IS OPEN, allowing cool air into the filter, whereas with the hood down and no snorkel, they are getting much hotter air (hot intake air is BAD for power and economy).

Not to mention they don't meet manufacturer's specs. Warranty voided. K&N, like EVERY OTHER aftermarket manufacturer, likes to quote the Moss-Magnusson Act. They are fooling people. The language of the full Act allows for aftermarket parts without voiding the warranty, PROVIDED they meet manufacturers specs. Courts have ruled that the lack of the proper rating is evidence enough that the product caused the failure. In a civil matter like this, you are guilty until proven innocent, and K&N won't come to your aid.
          Last edited by TheBundo; 01-06-2009, 05:25 AM.

Comment

when I had an accord, my friend did a dyno on the K&N filters and it added about 3whp over stock.

everything was set up the same so I think the K&N does improve performance.

with that said, I had it on my accord for 200k miles with no problems.

Comment

Well I went ahead and purchased the K&N based on my conversations with a Honda Service Tech. Basically it came down to savings on future filter purchases, he basically admitted no noticeable performance gains on these filters. And after driving around a while on it, I can concur with that. I haven't filled up yet so I can't base any appreciable or slight MPG improvements.

I just hope it doesn't affect the mass air flow sensors in the long run. That would sting on the cost of replacment of the MAF, trying to be a cheap {----} on the air filters

Maybe I'll just skip oiling the filters ....hehehe
              Last edited by Lakewood90712; 01-06-2009, 08:43 PM. Reason: Profanity removed by staff

Comment

The only aftermarket air cleaner I have used is the Vortox (out of Claremont, ca). When my LP system backfired and blew the air cleaner box, I went to the Vortox. The air cleaner box from Ford was about $300 and the Vortox was about $300. The Vortox was a metal housing, not plastic as with factory Ford. The down side is that Vortox uses their own filter elements at about $25 a pop -- But it wil take a backfire without damage.

I also have a couple of safety blow-offs that relieve the pressure (lot of good they did with the factory unit)

Under propaganda: Vortox doesn't like K & N because they don't catch as much dirt, and they have the test results to prove it.

Personal opinion: Any filter that filters better after it gets dirty (I believe that is K & N advertising) tells me that something is getting through when it is clean

Use what you want, but do your homework and check the vehicle manufacturer's warranty!

For what its worth

Larrycng
                Last edited by larrycng; 01-06-2009, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I would also like to chime in against the use of the K&N filter. The car was designed to run on a paper filter and the engineers sized it for the job. I had a VW with the TDI diesel in it and found that the oil used in the K&N did in fact foul the mass airflow sensor in that application. Some people decided not to oil the filter to work around the problem, however, it is the oil that traps the dirt. You can put a lot of dirt through a modern engine before you will notice what happened. Just change the paper filter, no cleaning, oiling, etc., and be done with it. I would agree that the stated horsepower gains are in fact "snake oil". If you took the air filter out completely you most likely couldn't tell the difference. That being said--if you want to go to a K&N go ahead--its your car and your money .

Comment

I have to chime in here and defend K&N. I bought my first filter for my 1987 Kawasaki Jetski almost 22 years ago, it made a big difference in the performance, and just about everyone else at the river had the same filter on their PWC, it was the only game back then. K&N have been in buisness a long time and I dont think that would be the case if they were selling "snake oil". I have seen the demos with the ping pong balls and it is a fact they do flow more air in your engine. When I used to punch it in my 99 GX it would rev up a lot faster, I noticed the difference right off. If it voids my factory warranty, then I wont use one. Another device that was going around was the "Tornado" funny I dont see any ads for them anymore.
                    BLUE 09 GX

Comment

I have used a K&N on every veichle that we have owned. it has made the most difference on my 2004 GX since it was low powered, I noticed the extra 4-5% of power and get about the same mileage as my friend with the same year and no K&N eventhough I drive faster.
                      Jim Blair
                      2004 Honda Civic GX
                      http://www.cngchat.com/photopost/sho...=500&ppuser=61

Comment

I have a 99 with a K and N filter, I noticed a power gain and I have had no problems yet.

Comment

Originally posted by futuregx View Post
                          when I had an accord, my friend did a dyno on the K&N filters and it added about 3whp over stock.

everything was set up the same so I think the K&N does improve performance.

with that said, I had it on my accord for 200k miles with no problems.

Bet you had the hood up on the dyno, though..........

Comment

Originally posted by TheBundo View Post
                            Bet you had the hood up on the dyno, though..........
                            yes we did, but we also tested it like that with the stock filter

Comment

Originally posted by futuregx View Post
                              yes we did, but we also tested it like that with the stock filter
                              But the stock filter has a snorket out to cool air even with the hood closed. Does the K&N on the Honda application? If it does, then all is equal. But if it's as some K&N applications I've seen, they eliminate the snorket to the outside air, and hence get their air, when the hood is closed, from the hot air under the hood. Is that the case in this application?

Comment

Working...
                              X