Starting car in cold weather ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting car in cold weather ??

I was just wondering if our cars can start up at 33F or below? I was looking at the manual and it says the car might not start at 33F or below.

I'm just wondering because I might bring the car up to big bear for snowboarding, I don't want to be stuck up there... LOL

So what's ur experience with cold starts? especially for people in Utah

Re: Starting car in cold weather ??

A couple of times I have had to use starting fluid to start our dedicated f150 in cold weather. I would bring along some starting fluid for insurance.

Comment

I have never had a problem down to -10. The starter turns over a little slower, but never had a problem starting.

Comment

We have a GX and live in Wisconsin where it often gets well below 33 F. Never had a problem with the GX, though in some extreme cold situations the car seems to labor a bit to start. You shouldn't have a problem with the temperatures you are describing based on my experience.

Comment

I've started my '98 many times in the mid 20*f with no issues.

Comment

The biggest issue in warmer climates is the adultrant gasses in the fuel. Butane turns to a liquid at high temps, meaning it will liquify in the line at above zero temps.(actual temp unknown) Propane liquifies at -44d.

Here in the north country NG is cleaned up as the cold weather set in. The utility will notify the change in mixture to industry and you can see the change of the flame to a cleaner blue color.

So using warm climate NG and driving to a colder climate location may cause a problem. My guess is the problem will be alleviated when the regulator gets warmed up.

Comment

I had ice on the windshield last night, it was about 30, started okay

Comment

Fifteen below....block heater plugged in.....started .....no problem....no hesitation.

Love this weather

Comment

It's - 20 Deg in Vermont today and three of our GXs wouldn't start, but four of them did (including a 2001 model). Any ideas other than storing them inside on these cold nights?

Comment

Do have block heaters installed and where they working ??

Comment

-20 is a tough temp on any car

Comment

Working...
                      X