Cold weather run misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather run misfire

I have a 2000 civic that lately now that its colder misfires when cold. As soon as it warms up it runs fine no misfires. I changed the coolant temp sensor also the air temp sensor. I also installed 4 new injectors. I dont want to take it to the dealer yet since money is tight and I usually do most of my own mechanical. Any Ideas?

(Moderator note: Thread moved to GX forum)
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 12-11-2008, 09:41 PM.

Re: Cold weather run misfire

This one doesn't have individual ignition coils, does it? If it does that would be my next choice.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

I have a 99 GX and a similar problem. Code reads P0303 misfire on #3 cylinder. I was told by the dealer that it was a faulty injector. I have not done it yet due to money. It clears up after about 5 min idling. You replaced all 4 injectors and didnt help the problem? That makes me nervous! I dont want to spend that kind of money and not solve the problem.

Comment

It's either an injector, coil pack, valve adjustment, or even a spark plug/wire. Start with the cheapest thing and work up to the injector.

If you're in CA and within the 15 yr/150k mi warranty, it's covered regardless of what it is. If you're outside CA... drive to CA to do the repairs if it isn't too far. If it is too far, refer to the first paragraph. Best wishes and Merry Christmas.

Comment

The dealer should be willing to keep trying to solve the problem without charging you for ineffective repairs and parts (make sure you request them to keep the old parts). The most likely cause in my experience and those I've heard about is a bad coil pack. They can't 'test' these or determine which one(s) is/are bad except by putting new ones in. Doing a valve adjustment is not expensive, but also will probably not solve the problem. Spark plug wires are somewhat more expensive but equally unlikely to solve the problem in my experience. Injectors can be rebuilt but you have to send them out and it takes some time.
          02 GX
          01 GX
          03 Crown Vic
          06 GX
          Home Fueler

Comment

As for as the coils are concerned, and anyone put them on a lab scope and checked current ramping and well as the voltage pattern. Lab scopes will tell a lot if you know how to use them.

Why no have vehicle diagnoised by a competent technician, I might be cheaper than replacing good parts?

You can always run the vehicle through a SMOG test. If it fails, and is still under warrante, the dealer is mandated by law to fix it so it will pass the SMOG

Just a few thoughts

Larrycng

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
              It's either an injector, coil pack, valve adjustment, or even a spark plug/wire. Start with the cheapest thing and work up to the injector.

If you're in CA and within the 15 yr/150k mi warranty, it's covered regardless of what it is. If you're outside CA... drive to CA to do the repairs if it isn't too far. If it is too far, refer to the first paragraph. Best wishes and Merry Christmas.
              Doesn't it have to be a car registered in CA?

Comment

Not that I'm aware of. Take your car to UT, or AZ and try and get an emissions repair under the CA warranty. If the cars here our emissions rules apply, as far as I know. Would certainly be worth the trip for some repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post

Does the 15 year 150K apply to a 2000 civic cng? I thought that it was good for only 7 years. Did it change? What exactly does this cover.
                  Thanks
                  JR

Comment

Originally posted by jrandsu View Post
                    Does the 15 year 150K apply to a 2000 civic cng? I thought that it was good for only 7 years. Did it change? What exactly does this cover.
                    Thanks
                    JR
                    I believe it began in 2001, but I don't remember. I went back to check with my service dept... but they left early today (Xmas Eve). ...Sorry.
                    Check the emissions book you got with your car at time of purchase. The last page or two outlines the emissions warranties as they apply to your vehicle. The book came with the owners manual, GX manual, etc. This warranty extension covers only items directly related to smog/emissions on any ZEV, PZEV, AT-PZEV car sold in CA.

Comment

Right, the extended warranty applies to PZEVs (and ZEVs) and that started on the GX in 2001. So, it doesn't apply to older GXs.
                      02 GX
                      01 GX
                      03 Crown Vic
                      06 GX
                      Home Fueler

Comment

Working...
                      X