2002 GX missing/hesitating when accelerating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 GX missing/hesitating when accelerating

I own a 2002 Civic GX with 140,000 miles. It run great except for a persistent problem: while accelerating up to 35-40 mph, it consistently misses/hesitates, as if it has a cylinder misfire. (No problem after hitting cruising speed.) When I first noticed this last year, it was giving me DTC codes for multiple cylinder misfires, so I adjusted the valves and replaced the spark plugs. When that didn't solve the problem, I took it to a nearby Honda dealer.

After several visits to that dealer (and spending several hundred dollars) they gave up and said they couldn't fix the problem. Here's what they did:

* Replaced spark plugs (again)
    * Checked valve adjustment
    * Checked compression
    * Checked coils and entire ignition system
    * Replaced all 4 fuel injectors
    * Checked CVT transmission
    * Updated computer software

Each time I took it in, they test drove it and declared the problem fixed, but the problem always returned within a day or two.

I regularly do my own maintenance (regularly replacing both fuel filters, air filter, oil/AT fluid changes, etc.). While the check engine light doesn't come on anymore, the issue hasn't gone away. If anything, it's worse!

Any ideas?

— Dave

Re: 2002 GX missing/hesitating when accelerating

When my 04 GX acted similarly it turned out to be several cracked coil packs. Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks, Curtis, I'll look at my service manual and find out how to check the coil packs myself (the service manager told me they were OK when I last brought in the car).

I'm eager to find the source of the problem before my emissions warranty ends at 150,000 miles.

Comment

You might consider getting another dealer to look at it too. Mine was worse when cold and lessened as it warmed up. Be very attentive to detail as to when it happens, temps, rpm, anything that may aid in diagnosis. When is it better, when is it worse. All of it could be a clue that solves the riddle.

Comment

Even if the coil packs look ok and 'test' ok, they could still be causing problems. The only way to see if they will solve the problem is to put them in there. They're covered up to 150k miles in CA, so ask the dealer why he didn't already try replacing them. (Most if not all of the things they did should be covered under the 150k special warranty).
          02 GX
          01 GX
          03 Crown Vic
          06 GX
          Home Fueler

Comment

The original coil packs on my 01 first started to go bad at about 60K , same symptom, and always worse on a cold engine. The spark plugs outlasted 2 sets of coil packs !. This is not a GX only problem , Ford coil packs sometimes have a short life too. Cng requires better ignigtion than gasoline to run good.

Coil packs on VW jettas were going bad a such a rate that engine production stopped for a few days ( all available parts were going to dealers for warranty replacements and the supplier ran out , none for the engine production line!)

Comment

John Deere also had coil "cracking" problem on the early CNG engines. They used the same Nippon Denso coils that Toyota used in "94. The problem was a combination of coil construction and current limiting. The coil were allow to draw too much current, got hot, cracked and failed.

Many of the ignition coil used today have such low resistance (way less than 1 ohm) to facilitate fast build up and the only things that protects the coil is the limiting circuit in the driver circuit. Many of the coils will draw over 20 amps but are limited to around 8 amps. Low resistance, high current flow, quick build up time

This sound like one for a fast pencil and scan tool or "flight recorder". Duplicate the engine speed and load conditions that occure during the missfire/hesitation on a dynamometer with a 5 gas up the tail pipe. Use a labe scope to check injectors and coils on both voltage and current. The tail pipe can give an idea as the miss being fuel or ignition related and lab scope will pin point the component. I've use this method several time to solve some really nasty problem.

Also watch the 02 pattern or wide band sensor current or voltage whichever you can get depending on which type of sensor in on the car. It should indicate slightly rich during acceleration

That my 2 cents

Larrycng

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                When my 04 GX acted similarly it turned out to be several cracked coil packs. Best of luck.
                Curtis, did you hear a "chirp", for lack of a better explanation, when it missed and when the engine was cold? Once warm it will still miss, although not as much, and no chirp. No power loss and milage seems the same.

I suspect that I may have some bad coils because the plug seals at the bottom of the valve covers went bad and oil got to the bottom of the coil where it connects to the plug. The dealer replaced seals, and charged me for them, but not the coils. If the coils are covered till 150K then I'll take it to the dealer this week and have them replaced.

One more thing, the missing has gotten less which might be because the oil may have worked it's way off the coils.
                John

Comment

John, everything sounds dead on... with the exception of the "chirp". My hearing has gotten so bad that it could be making sounds that I can't detect. Missing gets less as the vehicle warms up. They replaced 2 packs and the miss was better. They replaced the other 2 and it was pretty much gone. I think it still idles a tiny bit rough, but I can live with it.

Comment

I am having exactly same proble on 2002 gx.
                    I live in Utah took it into ken Garff and also had check engine light on. I have 101,000 miles and had my tranny replaced under warranty at 96000 miles.
                    Bill Carpenter called and said that the diagnostic fee was $600 bucks because it was cng but that it would apply to any work done.
                    He called back a week ago and said it was the spark plugs so they would replace those. Also that the valves needed to be adjusted and both fuel filters needed to be replaced. Total cost $800 bucks. I said are you sure that this will solve the problem and he said 100%. Well I picked it up on Monday and it didnt miss as much. But now a week later misses and hesitates like crazy on low speeds. any ideas?

Comment

Tell them, "It's the coil packs!" I think $600 should have easily covered spark plugs and fuel filters.
                      Last edited by Curtis; 11-28-2008, 11:31 AM.
                      02 GX
                      01 GX
                      03 Crown Vic
                      06 GX
                      Home Fueler

Comment

We think it would be the Coils as well, have them check the KV output, could be the secondary ignition system. Think $600 is a little to much to charge, but a lot of shops mark up the price as soon as they here the word CNG.
                        Lancer Automotive Group
                        3687 South 300 West
                        Salt Lake City UT 84115

801-268-8863

http://lancerautogroup.com

Visit our Facebook pages
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lance...68469439838785

https://www.facebook.com/alternativefuelcenter?ref=hl

Comment

I had the same problem with a 2004 GX with 110K miles. New coils and plugs solved the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dmcrobbie View Post
                            I own a 2002 Civic GX with 140,000 miles. It run great except for a persistent problem: while accelerating up to 35-40 mph, it consistently misses/hesitates, as if it has a cylinder misfire. (No problem after hitting cruising speed.) When I first noticed this last year, it was giving me DTC codes for multiple cylinder misfires, so I adjusted the valves and replaced the spark plugs. When that didn't solve the problem, I took it to a nearby Honda dealer.

After several visits to that dealer (and spending several hundred dollars) they gave up and said they couldn't fix the problem. Here's what they did:

* Replaced spark plugs (again)
                            * Checked valve adjustment
                            * Checked compression
                            * Checked coils and entire ignition system
                            * Replaced all 4 fuel injectors
                            * Checked CVT transmission
                            * Updated computer software

Each time I took it in, they test drove it and declared the problem fixed, but the problem always returned within a day or two.

I regularly do my own maintenance (regularly replacing both fuel filters, air filter, oil/AT fluid changes, etc.). While the check engine light doesn't come on anymore, the issue hasn't gone away. If anything, it's worse!

Any ideas?

— Dave
                            I am having the EXACT same problem. I've spent well over $1,000 at Ken Garf Honda in Ogden. It's not as bad as when it started, but if I let it idle, it will throw the codes - misfires on 1,2,3,4, and multiple misfires. Up to about 40mph consistently missed/hesitates.
                            I have replaced:
                            - All 4 Coils
                            - All 4 plugs
                            - High and low oil filters
                            - Valve adjustment
                            - I sent the injectors to a place in AZ had them cleaned (one was stuck open, the others were dirty but not terrible)
                            I did this in that order - with the filters and valve adjustment at the same time.

Like I said, it is better - but not right. Any suggestions as to what to do next or of another mechanic in the Ogden/SLC area that can fix the problem?

Thanks - Dave
                            Last edited by rustyp; 12-30-2011, 11:28 AM. Reason: Needed to add the order.

Comment

I have three GXs 1998/2-2000 and when they were running rough it has always turned out to be a fuel injector. I should note that I regularly do the standard maintenance (plugs, filters, adjustments) so I tyically don't run into the standard tune-up issues. I would get a DTC code indicating a misfire. I would swap around the fuel injectors (not hard to do - make sure ignition is completely off and be aware some residual pressure may be in the rail) to see if the DTC code indicates a different cylinder misfire to troubleshoot. Shot-gunning (throwing parts at the vehicle) fuel injectors (or any part for that matter) can be expensive so I would not purchase any until you find root cause. I have the luxury of trading parts from one vehicle to another so I have a troubleshooting tool others may not have. If you do not have a scan tool - get one or borrow one. Hope this helps some.

Comment

Working...
                              X