gas gauge reads empty/won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas gauge reads empty/won't start

I just purchased a 2001 cng honda. Ran great for a few days. Now the tank is full but the gas gauge reads empty and the lights is flashing. The car will not start. Dealer is telling me I need a high pressure regulator for $2600. He doesn't seem to be too knowledgeable. I am skeptical. Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: gas gauge reads empty/won't start

Anytime the low fuel lite is flashing, the computer is getting an OPEN OR SHORTED signal from the tank fuel pressure or the tank fuel temp. sensor ,or the computer thinks so. This sould not cause a no start condition. A bad pressure regulator can. The fuel rail also has a pressure sensor.

Failure of the tank pressure sensors do happen , and they are not cheap.
    Same for pressure regulators. The parts cost makes an accurate diag. of the problem essential.

Do a search on the gx forum for costs on gx pressure regulators.

P.S. Who is the dealer ?

Comment

It sounds like you have two problems -- an HPR failure will cause the engine not to start and a bad tank pressure sensor will cause the fuel gauge to read empty and the light to flash. If you're in California, both repairs are covered under the 150k mile special warranty.
      02 GX
      01 GX
      03 Crown Vic
      06 GX
      Home Fueler

Comment

thanks for the help.
        The dealer is Larry MIller Honda in Salt Lake City

Comment

It sounds like I have the bad tank pressure sensor problem -- the car seems to be running fine, but the gauge reads totally empty and the fuel light is flashing.

The problem is that I live in Connecticut, and am having a lot of trouble finding someone who can service the CNG fuel system. Plus, it's my only car, and I was to drive to see family tomorrow...
          My question is whether I can continue to drive the car and refill safely with a bad pressure sensor. I can approximate the level of fuel in the car based on the mileage, and just refill conservatively after each 120 miles or something. But -- does the tank pressure sensor matter to the refueling process, or is the pressure determined by the fuel pump?

Any thoughts on whether I can drive the car 500 miles with this problem??

Thanks so much for your help...

Comment

We drove for weeks and weeks that way. As long as you keep track of the mileage you'll be fine.

When it happened the first time it really scared me -- I assumed there was some massive leak from the tank. But, no, just the gauge was 'broken.' At first they reset the computer which solved it for a few weeks, then it happened again. I started resetting the trip meter every time I filled up and still do that as a backup and out of curiosity of the mileage I get from tank to tank.

The repair is really expensive -- over $2k. It would be covered in California under 150k miles -- almost worth shipping the car back and forth!
            02 GX
            01 GX
            03 Crown Vic
            06 GX
            Home Fueler

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply!

Comment

We just replaces a HPR on a GX, we charge $1890.00, We only use OEM Honda parts, so watch that you don’t get taken at the Dealers or other shops.
                Lancer Automotive Group
                3687 South 300 West
                Salt Lake City UT 84115

801-268-8863

http://lancerautogroup.com

Visit our Facebook pages
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lance...68469439838785

https://www.facebook.com/alternativefuelcenter?ref=hl

Comment

Originally posted by jds View Post
                  It sounds like I have the bad tank pressure sensor problem -- the car seems to be running fine, but the gauge reads totally empty and the fuel light is flashing.

The problem is that I live in Connecticut, and am having a lot of trouble finding someone who can service the CNG fuel system. Plus, it's my only car, and I was to drive to see family tomorrow...
                  My question is whether I can continue to drive the car and refill safely with a bad pressure sensor. I can approximate the level of fuel in the car based on the mileage, and just refill conservatively after each 120 miles or something. But -- does the tank pressure sensor matter to the refueling process, or is the pressure determined by the fuel pump?

Any thoughts on whether I can drive the car 500 miles with this problem??

Thanks so much for your help...
                  jds, I pulled up a list of certified dealers within 60 miles of you. I hope it helps.

Apple Honda
                  1375 Route 58
                  Riverhead, NY 11901
                  (631)727-0555
                  29.0 miles away

Manchester Honda
                  24 Adams St
                  Manchester, CT 06042
                  (888)777-2579
                  39.0 miles away

Huntington Honda
                  1055 E Jericho Tpke
                  Huntington, NY 11743
                  (631)423-6000
                  39.9 miles away

Honda City
                  3859 Hempstead Tpke
                  Levittown, NY 11756
                  (516)735-8900
                  49.8 miles away

Honda of New Rochelle
                  25 E Main St
                  New Rochelle, NY 10801
                  (888)639-4663
                  51.2 miles away

Friendly Honda
                  1143 Dutchess Tpke
                  Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
                  (845)454-2400
                  55.8 miles away

Honda of Nanuet
                  10 Route 304
                  Nanuet, NY 10954
                  (845)623-1200
                  57.6 miles away

South Shore Honda
                  704 W Merrick Rd
                  Valley Stream, NY 11580
                  (516)285-8036
                  60.4 miles away

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer Automotive Group View Post
                    We just replaces a HPR on a GX, we charge $1890.00, We only use OEM Honda parts, so watch that you don’t get taken at the Dealers or other shops.
                    why is hpr so pricey for a honda and why do I read here of so many problems and could say a dependable impco be used for less than 300 my cost and improve the dependablity ? and would this be tampering by epa as long specs were the same and I dont know what secondary psi is on a honda just a thought
                    Im going home for christmas and wont have a computer so you all have a short repreeve from my thinking and have a great christmas Cowboy

Comment

Hi Curtis
                      Just join this forum. What a great place to find info on CNG!
                      I have a question regarding the special 150k emission warranty for CA.
                      My 04 Civic GX all of a sudden wont start yesterday. Gas gauge read empty, fuel light flashing. ( Just fill the tank the night before too)

So maybe problem with HPR. So is this covered under the emission warranty? Will my dealer know or will I have to convince them with some kind of documentation? If so, where can I find something like that? Thanks for your help on this.

Comment

Hi, Wangkai, and welcome to our community. I also drive an 04, but because I purchased it used I didn't receive the warranty booklet. As I'm not at work at the moment, I can't check this info for you. If you have your factory warranty booklet look in the last 2 pages where it defines the emissions warranty and check to see if it's listed.

Any Honda dealer can tell you, however we've had mention that sometimes the dealer wasn't giving accurate info, or perhaps I should say the dealer was in error on the info they gave.

The dealer has the ability to check the warranty in his computer system and give you 100% accurate details on your warranty coverage.

We've also had a number of group members run into this situation and report on it to the group, so scanning the GX forum may reveal their experience, and ultimate solution.

I'm sure some of them will chime in now that you've brought up the question again. Perhaps you can play with the search feature near the top of the page and find it a little easier, as sometimes info & questions are not posted to the relevant forum, making them tough to dig up later on. Keep us posted on your findings.

Comment

I had that symptom and all repairs were covered under the 15/150k warranty.
                          02 GX
                          01 GX
                          03 Crown Vic
                          06 GX
                          Home Fueler

Comment

Thank you all for your help on this.

I did get a response back from the dealer. Sure enough, it is covered under the warranty. So I am glad this happened to me at 120k, but does anyone know why this happens? Defective part or should I expect this as a wear and tear item every 120K to 150K?

Thanks.

Comment

High Pressure Gas Regulators have a diaphragm which will not last indefinitely. One of mine lasted less than 100k, the other is fine at 120k. But, out of warranty, it is a $1500+ part new from Honda. When the next one goes out of warranty, I'm planning to send the part to a regulator shop and have them replace the diaphragm. Should cost a couple hundred at most that way, but the car will be down for a while. GM did better than Honda on this one, offering an economical rebuild kit for the Cavalier HPR.
                              02 GX
                              01 GX
                              03 Crown Vic
                              06 GX
                              Home Fueler

Comment

Working...
                              X