• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ijustride
    replied
    Re: 10 lessons learned in 20,000 miles

Originally posted by Enkidu View Post
    9 No matter how many times you tell your family and friends what your car is, they will still think it is a hybrid.

everyone still thinks my truck runs on vegetable oil.

Leave a comment:

• freedml
    replied

I agree, the reading on dispensers often understates the amount of fuel dispensed. I don't know how you can calculate the amount of fuel pumped by a Phill -- Phill us in!

It doesn't sputter when empty because you're not changing liquid fuel to a gas. It's already a gas and just stops when the pressure falls below what is needed for the combustible air/fuel ratio.

Leave a comment:

• TheBundo
    replied

First, realize that vehicles and driving habits vary. So don’t blame me if you run out of gas. I have been driving a 2008 civic gx in the bay area (110 miles roundtrip commute) for 7 months and have the following 10 items to report:

1 I average 36 mpgge with both city and freeway driving. (I have achieved over 40 on freeway only stints.)

2 Each “bar” on the gas gauge equals about 11 miles.

3 Once all of the bars turn off on the gauge you have about 20 miles before you run out of gas.

4 When you run out of gas, car does not hesitate or shutter. It runs perfectly and then shuts down.

5 Tank seems to only hold 7gge (not 8gge). When I ran out of gas, I had it towed to a 3600 psi station (Folsom and 1st) and it filled 6.978 gge.

6 Not all fueling stations are equal. I know of one that I am convinced gives me 20% more gas than what the pump states (Either that or my car averages 50 mpgge when ever I fill there). No, I wont tell you which station it is as I don’t want them to “fix” it. (No, it’s not the Folsom and 1st station)

7 The difference between a 3600psi fill and a 3000psi fill is about a half a gge or 18 miles.

8 Telling tollbooth operators that “this vehicle is a silver stickered clean air vehicle” seems to be the best phrase for them to quickly understand and waive you through.

9 No matter how many times you tell your family and friends what your car is, they will still think it is a hybrid.

10 The 3,000$ CARB check is merely a figment of our imagination.
    1. Me too, over 40mpg

2. About 14 miles per bar for me

4. Haven't tried that yet

5. That's because of the heat / expansion from "fast fill". Slow fill (Phill) will get 8 gge

7. A little off there. 3000 is .83333 of 3600, meaning you are getting .16667 of the tank less. .16667 multiplied by the 8 gge tank is 1.3333 gge less on a 3000 psi fill than on a 3600 psi fill.

10. I sure hope it's not

Leave a comment:

• jblue
    replied

8 Telling tollbooth operators that “this vehicle is a silver stickered clean air vehicle” seems to be the best phrase for them to quickly understand and waive you through.
    Getting a FasTrak will solve this problem, no?

Leave a comment:

• Enkidu
    started a topic 10 lessons learned in 20,000 miles

10 lessons learned in 20,000 miles

First, realize that vehicles and driving habits vary. So don’t blame me if you run out of gas. I have been driving a 2008 civic gx in the bay area (110 miles roundtrip commute) for 7 months and have the following 10 items to report:

1 I average 36 mpgge with both city and freeway driving. (I have achieved over 40 on freeway only stints.)

2 Each “bar” on the gas gauge equals about 11 miles.

3 Once all of the bars turn off on the gauge you have about 20 miles before you run out of gas.

4 When you run out of gas, car does not hesitate or shutter. It runs perfectly and then shuts down.

5 Tank seems to only hold 7gge (not 8gge). When I ran out of gas, I had it towed to a 3600 psi station (Folsom and 1st) and it filled 6.978 gge.

6 Not all fueling stations are equal. I know of one that I am convinced gives me 20% more gas than what the pump states (Either that or my car averages 50 mpgge when ever I fill there). No, I wont tell you which station it is as I don’t want them to “fix” it. (No, it’s not the Folsom and 1st station)

7 The difference between a 3600psi fill and a 3000psi fill is about a half a gge or 18 miles.

10 The 3,000$ CARB check is merely a figment of our imagination.
Working...
X