ScanGauge 2 in GX working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScanGauge 2 in GX working

I have had it in for about 3 days now, but get in too late after work to report fully, so I waited until today. I still have to get it all figured out yet, as there are user programmable functions to show HP, etc., that I haven't had time for yet either. Also, I haven't had time to be sure I have the parameters set correctly for the GX. It seems to think I have a gas tank size of a regular Civic, skewing many figures so far. I'll get all that figured out eventually

What has been very interesting are the TPS (throttle position sensor), and the Instant Miles Per Gallon display (it displays 4 things on a screen, user programmable). The manual says you need to make sure that when off the throttle, the TPS reading is at least 4, mine is at 14 stock. That means when I let off the throttle, it reads 14, and full throttle, it reads 78. Most light-footed cruising in nice conditions can be done in the low 20's and even high teens. It tends to vary from the slightest conditions like wind, slight slope, etc. But what I did notice that using it, I can often drop it by 1, with and increase of 2-3 MPG on the readout, without substantially affecting my speed. If I start at 65 on a given flat stretch, I can run at a throttle position number that may gain a MPH over a mile, or run 1 or 2 lower and lose 1 MPH over a mile or so, but get 3 or 4 MPG better at the lessor setting.

Also, the fuel cut-off definitely works. Fuel will only cut-off at no-throttle (14 on my TPS reading, which = 0), and it doesn't do it below about 25 mph, as the engine may stall as the car slows. When it goes into fuel shut-off, the Instant MPG reading goes to 9999, while the TPS is at 14. Going east on Hwy 15 over the Pachecho Pass, I can let off the throttle as I crest the summit, and go 3 miles using no fuel. I only do this in light traffic, as I peak at 76 MPH, and bottom out at about 52-53, before I finally have to get back on the gas. The Cat Convertor is hot enough from the preceeding climb to go the 3 miles without cooling so much that the computer triggers fuel restart.

More later, feel free to ask questions

Re: ScanGauge 2 in GX working

What year is your GX? How did you install it? (did you do it yourself, or did you get a shop to install it?) Would you mind taking a few pictures?

I was thinking it would be remarkably cool to get a bluetooth OBD device that would communicate with my iPhone.

Shawn
    Shawn
    http://dearmond.net

Comment

The install is plug and play no tools required.

http://www.scangauge.com/
      -------------
      moore101
      2000 Toyota Camry CNG
      FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

Does it do FPR and MAP?

About 10% of vehicles provide Fuel Pressure (FPR).
        About 50% of vehicles provide Manifold-Absolute-Pressure (MAP).
        CH

Comment

Originally posted by Triskal View Post
          What year is your GX? How did you install it? (did you do it yourself, or did you get a shop to install it?) Would you mind taking a few pictures?

I was thinking it would be remarkably cool to get a bluetooth OBD device that would communicate with my iPhone.

Shawn
          You just plug it into the OBD port under the dash by your right knee. I then slid the cable into the crack between 2 parts of the lower dash / console, to the right, then have it running outside the dash to kust above the radio display, where it is mounted on velcro. I'll get photos soon, in bed now. It took longer to type this than to install it. Takes some time to set the variables, however, on the unit (gas tank size, display color, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by ch4 View Post
            Does it do FPR and MAP?

About 10% of vehicles provide Fuel Pressure (FPR).
            About 50% of vehicles provide Manifold-Absolute-Pressure (MAP).
            On this car, a 2008 GX, it does MAP. BTW, I went 3.5 miles tonight using no fuel, down the east side of the Pacheco Pass, very little traffic.......

Comment

Originally posted by TheBundo View Post
              You just plug it into the OBD port under the dash by your right knee. I then slid the cable into the crack between 2 parts of the lower dash / console, to the right, then have it running outside the dash to kust above the radio display, where it is mounted on velcro.
              Did you buy the extra cable or did an adequate cable come with the unit? If I don't want to velcro it to my dash, is there a reasonable way to tuck it into exiting shelf in the center console?

I hope to buy one of these in a week or two. I assume you bought yours directly from ScanGauge?

Thanks,
              Robert '07 GX

Comment

Originally posted by mecklen View Post
                Did you buy the extra cable or did an adequate cable come with the unit? If I don't want to velcro it to my dash, is there a reasonable way to tuck it into exiting shelf in the center console?

I hope to buy one of these in a week or two. I assume you bought yours directly from ScanGauge?

Thanks,
                I ordered mine off Amazon.com. I suppose you could put it anywhere, depends on your layout, what you already have in the console, etc. Where I put it makes it easy to see while driving. The stick from the velcro should be easy enough to get off later, IMO

Comment

The unit comes with a nice cable---the only reason to buy an extra cable would be if you were going to install the Scangauge into more then one vehicle and didn't want to keep moving the cable. The end of the cable that goes in the display looks like a telephone cord plug. There is a jack on the side and the back of the display--your choice of where to plug it in. On the new style Civic, I used velcro to stick the top of the display to the top of the little storage box under the heater controls---out of the way and easy to see

Comment

When you say the fuel cuts off, is this a function of the ScanGauge doing this or the car does this when there is no throttle required?!!

Thanks John

Comment

Originally posted by johnnjerri View Post
                      When you say the fuel cuts off, is this a function of the ScanGauge doing this or the car does this when there is no throttle required?!!

Thanks John
                      The car does this as is. Just easy to "see" with the Scangauge

Comment

How accurate is the ScanGauge II mpg reading? I was concerned that CNG would confuse it.

Comment

Quite accuracte, once you get all the car's parameters set correctly

Comment

I have the same set in my 2004 GX - and set the fuel cut-off to 9 on the TPS as the manual indicated - at each refuel you can adjust the fuel amount used to match the amount added to "adjust" the future mpg readings. The scan gauge does seem to give a very consistent and accurate mpg reading that "corrects" for the filling variation.

Comment

Working...
                            X