Fuel Efficiency (equivalent)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Efficiency (equivalent)?

I suppose with NG prices from home shouldn't make this an issue, but I am curious what the mpg equivalent that a Civic GX is getting?

Re: Fuel Efficiency (equivalent)?

I have been recording each and every fill-up for my '06 Civic GX since I purchased it in July 06. My average over the long haul has hovered around 35mpge. I drive ~12 miles to and from work each day with about 3 miles in town and 10 miles on the highway at about 70mph. When I take it on longer trips, I frequently get >40mpge.

At some point, I'll do some better analysis to see if I get better mileage in the summer vs. winter, and after oil changes and fuel filter services.

Shawn
    http://dearmond.net
    Shawn
    http://dearmond.net

Comment

Averaged over 9005 miles I'm getting 35 mpg in my '07 GX. Obviously, that's combined city/highway.
      Robert '07 GX

Comment

I typically get 32 mpg combined, all freeway I've averaged 43 mpg since we had our 08 Civic GX. If you factor in the price difference in regular gasoline ($4.50)at those mpg equivalent then I'm actually getting more mpg for my money.

I just filled up the other day at a cost of $2.50 per gallon (5.97 gallons, $14.93) and averaged 35 mpg (211 miles) on that fill, based on the price difference I was actually getting 63.82 mpg!

Let's just say I leave the pumps feeling good everytime , I can only imagine what the Utahians are feeling..LOL. Hybrid's can't match those numbers!
        Last edited by c2sox; 07-09-2008, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I have 15k miles on my 07, and I have achived 38MPGe so far. The best 3 tank average (MPGe across 3 tanks) is 43MPGe. I use 3 tanks because of the differnce in fillups. Its not an average, but the mileage over the fuel for 3 tanks. I cant help but giggle when I fill up and its $10.93. I wind up spending 20 minutes filling up because I am answering questions, and passing out an infomation sheet I made up.

Comment

I heard that you get better mileage when the engines breaks in. For you guys with the newer GX's

Comment

The newer ones must do better. I figure my long term average for mixed driving for my 2002 GX at 28 gge. On my road trip to Utah I figured 34 gge one way, driving pretty conservatively.

But, I am really happy. $28 from Corona Ca to Springville Ut

Comment

Originally posted by medicalstudent View Post
                I suppose with NG prices from home shouldn't make this an issue, but I am curious what the mpg equivalent that a Civic GX is getting?
                Here's a Gov't web site where I've been keeping track of my mileage.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Others are too, so you can see what "real world" examples are. Note: all the info input by drivers that register and log on can put anything down, thus holding up the average mileage. (like the '07 Prius owner in Indiana that got 72mpg, once, and never checked in again.)

On the homepage of the web site above under, "Find And Compare Cars...", on the left, select the link that says "Compare Side-by-Side." Then, follow the pages to pick the year, make and model of the car you're interested in.

For an '07 Civic (CNG), for instance, under the blue bar that says, "MPG Estimates from Drivers Like You," there's a link that says, "View Individual Estimates." Mine is #3. If you register and log in you can see my entire shared data.

Bill
                Last edited by Green GX; 07-12-2008, 05:47 AM.

Comment

It really varies a lot due to the pressure. Get a 3000 fill after your last one was 3400 PSI, and your mileage is going to shoot over 40. You have to compare back to your last fill at the same PSI. Think about what your usual fill PSI is, and start counting from there until you get your next fill to that exact same PSI.

For my '02 GX since 6/26/08, I've used 36.571 GGE, gone 1201.7 miles, for an average MPG of 32.86 (at a total cost of $30 -- there's some Utah numbers )

Comment

It really varies a lot due to the pressure. Get a 3000 fill after your last one was 3400 PSI, and your mileage is going to shoot over 40. You have to compare back to your last fill at the same PSI. Think about what your usual fill PSI is, and start counting from there until you get your next fill to that exact same PSI.
                    This is the reason you get more accuracy by measuring the average over multiple tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Zarniwoop View Post

For my '02 GX since 6/26/08, I've used 36.571 GGE, gone 1201.7 miles, for an average MPG of 32.86 (at a total cost of $30 -- there's some Utah numbers )
                      Zarniwoop,

I agree, consistent pressure makes the math a lot easier. That's why I try to fill at the same station every time. But, the station where I go gives no indication as to what the pressure is.

On the web site I referenced above in my reply to medicalstudent I'm averaging 38.3 mpg for all types of driving, with about 50 fill-ups. The plot they show on the .gov web site will show you the spikes above and below the average.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Green GX View Post
                        I agree, consistent pressure makes the math a lot easier. That's why I try to fill at the same station every time. But, the station where I go gives no indication as to what the pressure is.

On www.fueleconomy.gov I referenced above in my reply to medicalstudent I'm averaging 38.3 mpg for all types of driving, with about 50 fill-ups. The plot they show on the .gov web site will show you the spikes above and below the average.
                        Your fuel guage (20 lights on an 07?) is better than nothing as far as pressure indication On the 2002 it's just a classic needle guage, with two lines for F, first one is 3000 PSI and 2nd one is 3600. On pumps without a guage on them, I just guesstimate the pressure of 3100-3500 between the two lines...

I registered and entered all my fillups on that web site. They are for my 2002 Honda Civic CNG, which states " User MPG estimates are not yet available for this vehicle." for "Drivers like you"... Maybe it will start showing up later after nightly batch processing.

Comment

On my '01 GX ,owned from 16k miles to 114k miles, mixed city/fwy , avg. 33 .
                          My '08 GX is not broken in yet , but so far about 29 . More city than fwy.
                          My '00 cng Crown vic got about 19 on the same conditions.

Back in '02 , I has a Prius rental car for 3 weeks , and got about 50 mpg avg. with the same city/ fwy driving profile.

On the GX fuel gauge, remember , it is temperature compensated , not just a pressure gauge.

Comment

Working...
                          X