X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RaulLasVegas
    replied
    Re: Scan Gauge II

The best thing it can do is teach you how to drive economically. I have an 07 GX, and by paying attention to it, I have done 43MPG (3 tanks, according to a logbook).

I usually have TPS, Instantanious MPG, tank MPG, and Load (this one changes the most) showing. With these you can see how having someone in front of you effects your milage, or driving next to a truck, a headwind, or just accelerating.

It doesn't seem to be able to compensate for changing styles of driving. If I am economical on a tank, it make have the tank MPG pretty close, but without changing the bias percentage, I drve agressivly on the next tank, the tank MPG will report way off.

Being able to read the OBD codes, and the education was worth the cost to me.

Leave a comment:

• Larryect
    replied

Just what information can you get from the scan gauge that's specific to the GX? Can you get tank pressure and temperature?
    Not sure exaclty. Mine will show Water temperature, voltage, MPG (current, sampled every 2 seconds or so), MPH, RPM, Fuel pump pressure (reads around 20-30, so I think it is after the low pressure regulator), throttle position, engine load. These are gauges you can select to display 4 at a time. (there may be others I am forgetting).

It will also give trip, day, previous day and tank information like miles, MPG, max RPM, Max temp, Max MPH etc.

The new one allows you to move some other information into the 4 gauge display. Like avg mpg for the tank etc. It is also supposed to be able to display fuel level on some cars and some additional information. I don't know yet what that means for the GX.

Hope this helps. their website is at:

http://www.scangauge.com/

Leave a comment:

• Timon
    replied

Just what information can you get from the scan gauge that's specific to the GX? Can you get tank pressure and temperature?

Leave a comment:

• Larryect
    replied

I have one of the original Scan Gauge units. I have just recently been using it in my GX. It seems to give a very good indication of real world mileage. It seems to match what I have found calculating my mileage over a long period of time. On the calibration adjustment it gave me an exact match. (3.3 gallons), not a long test but I was happy.

TheBundo is correct in saying the most accurate is by using a log over a long period of time. However the ScanGauge has the advantage of showing you exactly how your driving style is affecting your mileage while giving other good information as well.

I just ordered the new version because of the much better packaging and added features compared to my old one.

Leave a comment:

• TheBundo
    replied

Originally posted by wparish View Post
    I'm really thinking of buying one of these Scan Gauge II products to calculate my real mpg. Does anyone have any recent feedback on how accurate the Scan Gauge II mpg calculations are on the gx?
    There is NO ways more accurate than a pencil and paper and/or calculator/spreadsheet. Beware, though, that the CNG vehicles have more possible variables from fill to fill, including the 3000 vs. 3600 psi pumps. That said, keeping a log with a pencil and paper, and then taking the total miles over many tanks and dividing by the total GGE's used on those tanks is the most accurate way. You CANNOT get an accurate longterm mpg figure by figuring the mpg on each tank, then adding those together and dividing by how many tanks are in the equation. That is because there is a different number of miles per tank, and your figure will be skewed. The total miles driven must be factored into the final equation.

As an example, you might drive 80 miles downhill from Lake Tahoe and get 80 mpg (1 gallon) (mostly coasting). Then you drive another 200 miles and get 40 mpg (5 gallons). If you took the 2 tanks, one at 80 mpg, and ond at 40 mpg, improper math may lead some to say they averaged 60 mpg. But proper calcs show 280 miles on 6 gallons, which is 46.66 mpg.

Leave a comment:

• wparish
    replied

I'm really thinking of buying one of these Scan Gauge II products to calculate my real mpg. Does anyone have any recent feedback on how accurate the Scan Gauge II mpg calculations are on the gx?

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    replied

Very cool. I want one! ... for ... percentage

More...

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    replied

Curtis...actually, there is no special setup for cng (just set it for gasoline for both). You can easily move it from a cng vehicle to a gasoline one, and the

More...

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    replied

Thanks Jon! I was right where you said it would be! Now to learn how to use it! Jon Ohashi wrote: It's above accelerator pedal,

More...

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    replied

Thx Jon, I'll give it a try and report back! Jon Ohashi wrote: It's above accelerator pedal, on left side of radio in 7th gen (2001-2005).

More...

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    replied

It's above accelerator pedal, on left side of radio in 7th gen (2001-2005). Hard to see while sitting in driver's seat. Should be in similar location for 8th

More...

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    started a topic Re: Scan Gauge II

Just bought a scan gauge II for my 07GX and can't seem to find the "OBDII" connector that it powers to...any techno tips? Thx, Steve

More...
Working...
X