FINALLY! 2000 Honda GX Sputtering/Missing/Idling Rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY! 2000 Honda GX Sputtering/Missing/Idling Rough

Oh man! I can't believe I finally found this problem. I have a 2000 GX which started sputtering and idling roughly to where you'd have to turn off the A/C at a stop light because the engine felt like it was on the verge of stalling.

So the driver's side headlight went out and I went to replace the bulb and found that the connecter to the bulb was melted into a mass of plastic and terminals. It was arcing when I accelerated and dropping the system voltage. I replaced the terminal (the bulb was still good) and I hoped the rough idle would disappear AND IT DID! What a pain in the butt that was. I checked the passenger side and it looked like it was going the same way. What a weird problem. Now it purrs like a kitten again. YES!

EDIT: Let me add that it never threw any codes. No one could figure it out. I had just given up. Thankfully, it finally melted down all the way and the headlight went out which made me look at it. I've never been so happy to lose a headlight.

So the rough idle condition occurred ONLY when the headlights were turned on? A burned, carbonized headlight socket could draw excessive current when the headlights are turned on, which would cause the idle air control valve to compensate, which could cause a rough idle, but that is unlikely. If the burned headlight socket drew that much current, the headlight fuse would burn open. The problem that you are describing would occur ONLY when the headlights are turned on.

When the problem reoccurs, because you have no misfire codes, I would first suspect and change the idle air control valve.

Honda Civic (A/T ONLY) 1996-2000. 16022-P2E-A51 was imported from Japan. Read below for more details.

Comment

Working...
    X