06 Civix Gx Odd ISSUE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 Civix Gx Odd ISSUE?

Hi all!! Im new to the cng side of the world but theres a station close to me so I thought Id give a cng civic a try... Heres the story.... Bought a 06 cng civic and it ran great no issues lights anything, 170k miles i detail the whole car inside and out and drive it worked fine. Then later that night I started it again and it didnt idle shaked HEAVILY and CEL was blinking, turned it off and it ran fine.... Then came today, started fine no issues, then plugged in my phone to my aux and went to start it and it did the same thing! But no light... any insight on what I could do?? Its having a random missfire... thanks

Blinking check engine light indicates misfire, so there are a number of possible culprits to isolate from: spark plug, coil, injector...

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
      Blinking check engine light indicates misfire, so there are a number of possible culprits to isolate from: spark plug, coil, injector...
      I understand that, but what could be the reasoning that the issue only occures randomly when cold on start up?

Comment

I have a 2009 and I had an injector that would cause misfires intermittently when cold for over a year before I finally decided to replace it.
        I've had several coil packs go bad, they usually cause a constant misfire when they fail, although I did have one that causes a brief misfire one morning, drove fine 70 miles to work then totally failed on the way home.
        Pull the codes to figure out which cylinder is misfiring then swap it's coil with the cylinder next to it and see if the misfire follows the coil.
        I've found when my injector went bad you can see the fuel rail pressure bleed down when you turn the key on but turn the engine off.

Comment

Originally posted by motoboy View Post
          I have a 2009 and I had an injector that would cause misfires intermittently when cold for over a year before I finally decided to replace it.
          I've had several coil packs go bad, they usually cause a constant misfire when they fail, although I did have one that causes a brief misfire one morning, drove fine 70 miles to work then totally failed on the way home.
          Pull the codes to figure out which cylinder is misfiring then swap it's coil with the cylinder next to it and see if the misfire follows the coil.
          I've found when my injector went bad you can see the fuel rail pressure bleed down when you turn the key on but turn the engine off.
          Ill look into that

Comment

I’ve experienced something similar after I’ve disconnected my battery to work on my car for a couple of hours. It doesn’t necessarily happen first drive out but might pop up later that day or the next day. After turning off the engine and resetting the code (generally for a misfire) it runs normally. I think the ecm gets reset without battery power and goes into some kind of learn mode until I’ve driven the car for a few miles. But after resetting it drives perfectly normal, no problems at all.

Have you disconnected your battery recently? I would reset the code and just drive it for awhile to see if the problem comes back. At least for me it never does.

Comment

Originally posted by 2006CivicGX View Post
              I’ve experienced something similar after I’ve disconnected my battery to work on my car for a couple of hours. It doesn’t necessarily happen first drive out but might pop up later that day or the next day. After turning off the engine and resetting the code (generally for a misfire) it runs normally. I think the ecm gets reset without battery power and goes into some kind of learn mode until I’ve driven the car for a few miles. But after resetting it drives perfectly normal, no problems at all.

Have you disconnected your battery recently? I would reset the code and just drive it for awhile to see if the problem comes back. At least for me it never does.
              Good idea, Ill need to try that.

Comment

When you detailed the car, did you clean the engine? If so, make sure there is no water in then coil pack/sparkplug area.

Comment

Originally posted by siai47 View Post
                  When you detailed the car, did you clean the engine? If so, make sure there is no water in then coil pack/sparkplug area.
                  I think it was just a combination of valves and spark plugs. Thanks for the help everyone

Comment

I'm having the same type issue. I just picked up a 2010 GX from a friend that got tired of working on it. He replaced plugs, coil packs, and injectors because he was having the problem. I paid $1,000 for it, so I am willing to put a little money and work into it myself to try and get it running right. It was idling rough after I got a few miles from home this morning and then went to get on the freeway and when I accelerated to get up to 70, the CEL started blinking, I lost all power. Drove it a few miles with my hazards on at 35mph, got off the next exit. Shut it off for about 2 minutes....started her up again and the CEL was on, but not blinking, drove home under 50mph with no problems. When you say valves and spark plugs...you talking about the fuel injectors?

Comment

Originally posted by 3cars=750k+ View Post
                      I'm having the same type issue. I just picked up a 2010 GX from a friend that got tired of working on it. He replaced plugs, coil packs, and injectors because he was having the problem. I paid $1,000 for it, so I am willing to put a little money and work into it myself to try and get it running right. It was idling rough after I got a few miles from home this morning and then went to get on the freeway and when I accelerated to get up to 70, the CEL started blinking, I lost all power. Drove it a few miles with my hazards on at 35mph, got off the next exit. Shut it off for about 2 minutes....started her up again and the CEL was on, but not blinking, drove home under 50mph with no problems. When you say valves and spark plugs...you talking about the fuel injectors?
                      Valve lash adjustment makes a big difference on these engines. Also use exact replacement OEM NGK spark plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by 3cars=750k+ View Post
                        Just an update, I swapped the ignition coils to see if the misfire would move to a different cylinder. Long story short, I found that the air intake (between the air filter and engine) was completely disconnected. I reconnected it and I have driven over 1,500 miles and haven't had any issues, I have done freeway and city driving. I'm still a little nervous to take it on long trips, but confident enough to drive it to work every day.

Comment

Originally posted by hypermilinggx View Post

Valve lash adjustment makes a big difference on these engines. Also use exact replacement OEM NGK spark plugs.
                          Here I am a year later, 12,000 miles later and it's driven great up until a couple weeks ago! I've taken it on a few long trips (400 miles) I replaced the plugs with OEM NGK plugs. Looks like I'm going to do the valve adjustments this weekend, because it has a very rough idle randomly, and an obvious misfire, very randomly. I am still driving it daily, most the time I rev the engine to 3,000 rpm and it idles fine. Shutting the car off and turning back on usually "fixes" it. But I want to fix permanently. Hoping the valve adjustments will do it. I found a good youtube video, so hoping for the best!

Comment

Working...
                          X