Servicing, maintenance & shops as of 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servicing, maintenance & shops as of 2019

I just recently purchased a 2011 honda civic gx with 51k miles. Currently loving the car, my aim is to have this car for my commuting to work or school, sometimes long distances like vegas so was curious to know what is needed when it comes to servicing the car like spark plugs, oil, filters & etc.
    really want to service my car on my own to know exactly what goes on with it but due to it being cng i’m not that confident in doing so even with reading many post and seeing many videos for the filter changes
    Due to there being not that many post about it, i was curious to know the steps in changing the spark plugs and if Shutting off the fuel valve is needed
    not really confident in changing the filters due to my fear of something going wrong in the proccess that might lead to injurys so if anyone knows any perferred shops in the Los Angeles or San fernando valley area i would be thankful to know, or any perferred ways in doing it my self to reclaim my confidence and get over that fear.
    Also would like to know anyones personal experience in taking GX civics in long distance trips.
    Might be leaving out a few things so if i did i would greatly appreciate the help
    Sorry for the many questions, just curious in knowledge of this wondeful car i stumbled upon. Any info would be greatly appreciated thank you

First tip I would offer is to put the ignition key on a lanyard and loop it to the hose when fueling at the station. Driving off with the hose connected breaks the hose at the brakeaway fitting and leaves the dispenser unusable until hose is reattached. First CNG car I bought, the seller suggested fueling when tank is half full. Sort of a safeguard in case a fuel station isn't working. Long trips? You will be amazed at how inexpensive the fuel cost is. May get some getting used to the variety of card readers out there. Some truck stop stations ask for a driver or vehicle number - any entry usually works. Credit card refused - try debit card. A Pilot (Flying J) or Loves can sometimes put a $500 hold on the account (thinking it is going to be a 100 gal purchase). But calling bank card help number can allow things to be reset over the phone. An 8 gal tank in a Civic will typically take 6.5 gge when completely empty. So figure your range accordingly: 40mpg results in under 275 miles. Civic manual says 28 miles after fuel lamp comes on, but actual experience has shown just under 50 miles. But tires have to be near upper pressure limit, speed at 40 mph (idealy), no hills or headwind. For the Civic, some suggested maintenance intervals are:

By date:
    2YR Filter A 16905-S1G-003 high pressure
    1YR Filter B 16230-PMS-004 low pressure (doesn’t really need replacing)
    1YR/30K brake fluid flush
    1YR/30K power steering fluid flush

By mileage:
    110K timing belt and water pump
    105K Replace plugs when worn to .040 (.031 spec) Use NDK with a LITTLE anti-seize on the threads and torque to 12 ft#max! AutoZone sells the correct OEM ones, part # IFR7F8DS
    100K front brake pads
    40K CVT fluid flush
    60K replace coolant
    5K oil/filter
    50K alignment
    30K engine air filter
    30K valve clearance
    5K tire rotation front to rear; rear cross to front;balance

I do not change my own fuel filters. Just not sure of myself with high pressure fuel line. Some additional feedback from others:

Back in 2008 or 2009, I tried several times over the space of many hours to get the low pressure filter into place. Once I thought about it for a while and came upon the idea to freeze the canister and o-ring together, I was able to get the o-ring to pop into place with little trouble. I've since changed a couple more times, each time freezing them together. It works like a charm. All theoretical calculations cannot beat the real world experience of trying it out and finding that the method works. I understand that Honda changed its shop instructions to have their dealer technicians freeze them together when changing the filter.

The Honda Service Manual calls for the following:
    Using a short, 3/8-inch drive, inch-pound torque wrench without an extension, torque the fuel filter housing to 23 Nm (204 in-lb). A good tool choice is the Snap-on QD2R200 or MATCO TRB250. It should be noted that the O-ring is designed to seal on the ID face of the upper housing, so no torque is required to provide a leak-proof seal. The torque is just to keep the lower housing from unscrewing and falling off, which is why it's so light on the torque spec. I always apply a good amount of the Shinetsu Silicone grease (Honda P/N 08798-9013) to the lower housing threads and O-ring before installation to help aid removal at the next filter change. I recently discovered that Honda developed a special socket for removing the lower filter housing and I HIGHLY recommend using it. It slips over the housing so that the socket can't cock on the hex nut. It prevents the bent housing issue that happens so easily during removal. See the attached diagram from the manual for Honda P/N 07AAA-S1GA100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSl7...ature=youtu.be
    http://www.cngchat.com/forum/forum/c...-filter-wrench

Saving the best for last - the bottom thread on the spark plugs on the 2006-2015 Civics extend slightly below the cylinder head. It is recommended to remove and reinstall the plugs at the valve clearance adjustment interval to avoid a buildup of scale. I had to replace a cylinder head due to the threads being stripped out when the plugs were first pulled after 90K miles. (I bought a front-end collision wreck for the part - cheaper than the replacement head would have cost. And was lucky things mated properly)

Comment

I just had my 2006 Civic GX serviced at Modern Fleet in Torrance "B-12" from the dashboard maintenance minder. Mine was their first job that included GX fuel filter replacement. After I described how to go about it (turn fuel valve off then run then engine to burn off the fuel & reduce pressure) they were able to easily replace both the high and low filters in my vehicle. They were happy to do it and look forward to servicing other natural gas vehicles. Here's a link to their website, https://www.modernfleetrepair.com/.

Comment

Working...
      X